Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PCSing and voting

1. Senior Member

PCSing and voting

Advertisements
    this might be the dumbest question in the world, but this is the first election I've voted in since we were headed overseas in 2012 and I was too young in 2008. But, we voted in the primaries here in texas, obviously our registration is here. we leave for GA before the general election. Do we have to reregister in GA? Do I have to have a GA license? is there a deadline I'd have to be registered by? we usually leave all our licenses, and docs and stuff with our home of record address which is his parents. Can we absentee vote?

totally random but I was pintresting moving stuff, and changing voter registration address was on a list I was looking at.

2. Moderator

My voter registration stays with my drivers license in my HOR and I send in an absentee ballot.
  3. Senior Member
    Are you planning on keeping TX residency or switching to GA when you move? If you are staying as FL residents, you an keep your TX licenses and your voter registration there. If not, then you'll need to change both (and your car registration) to GA. (State laws do vary somewhat on license and car things, but that is what is typical.)

Also, it's worth noting that Home of Record and state of residency are not the same thing. HOR is basically where he lived when he joined. That's it, and it can not be changed (though actually I've heard--but don't know if it's true--that it's possible to change it if going from E to O, which I know is relevant for you, but it still has no bearing on voting and drivers' licenses and all that). Really the only time HOR matters for most people is when they get out and the military pays for a move back to the HOR.

State of residency is what matters to all this, and it is basically where you claim legal residency. This would mean you file state income taxes for that state, and generally also keep your drivers licenses and voter registration. "Home of Record" is a military thing, and state of residency is more of a state and federal government thing. So, if you are keeping your state of residency as whereever his parents are, you can keep everything, including voter registration, there. And come tax time, you'll need to file for whatever state that is (assuming they have a state income tax). And then you can absentee vote. If you are switching your residency to GA, then you'd need to switch the voter registration. You can google for the deadline for that for GA.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Senior Member
    how you do keep state residency when living outside the state? Because we definitely want to keep texas for a number of reasons. Plus, we're only living in GA for about a year, so it doesn't make much sense to switch

5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    how you do keep state residency when living outside the state? Because we definitely want to keep texas for a number of reasons. Plus, we're only living in GA for about a year, so it doesn't make much sense to switch

There are some rules that basically everyone ignores, like you are supposedly supposed to intend to live there when you get out of the military. But in reality, if you keep a drivers license and voter registration, and pay taxes (or not since TX doesn't have state income tax I believe), and basically say "Texas" if anyone or any form ask you for your state of residency, you should be fine***. But, and this may be key, I think you need to actually be living there while you establish residency, so get all that done before you leave, if you don't already have it. Bit if you filed taxes in TX this year (or didn't file them because there are none in Texas) and you have the licenses and voter registration, then you are residents of TX. If you keep those things, you keep that residency.

(And again, have him check his LES before and after the move to make sure it says Texas before and stays Texas after the move. The Navy randomly changed our last year to CA in the middle of the year, and we didn't realize it because we are stupid and though the decrease in pay was due to the dropping Euro. So we just discovered it. We get all that money back because we aren't CA residents, but it was a bit of a pain and shows how badly they can screw this stuff up.)

***NOTE: I am not a lawyer or a tax expert or anything like that. This is basically what we have done, based on the limited detaisl I know of your situation, and there could be relevant details of which I am not aware that might change things. It is what has worked for us, but this post is in no way legal advice or expert opinion or anything you can sue me over if it bites you in the ass.
  6. Senior Member
    Stalking this thread as I've had the same question....
  7. Senior Member
    Just reiterating that there can be lots of pertinent details that may affect these things, so you should do your own research. I don't want to be held responsible should someone apply all this to their situation when it doesn't work based on the details of their life and choices.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Just reiterating that there can be lots of pertinent details that may affect these things, so you should do your own research. I don't want to be held responsible should someone apply all this to their situation when it doesn't work based on the details of their life and choices.
    I won't hold you responsible I just wanted to get a general idea. I'll definitely do my own research, I'm just tired/loopy from my pain meds, so I didn't feel like googling.

9. Moderator

Here in GA, as long as you maintain your DL from your state of residence, you don't become a GA resident. We register our car here because they waive almost everything so it costs us like 20 bucks a year to register. You do need to get GA car insurance. But we just renew our licenses by mail or online and file state taxes in our home state.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSisterWife View Post
    Here in GA, as long as you maintain your DL from your state of residence, you don't become a GA resident. We register our car here because they waive almost everything so it costs us like 20 bucks a year to register. You do need to get GA car insurance. But we just renew our licenses by mail or online and file state taxes in our home state.
    you can register your car without a GA license or anything?

I feel like such a dope asking such dumb questions, but we've only ever lived in Texas and Germany, never another state!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast