Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok new to all this so would love some information.

1. Regular Member

Ok new to all this so would love some information.

Advertisements
    Ok so I have been reading the old posts to try and find out about the whole moving thing and lol I am just not finding the information I want to know. So what I want to know is if I have my boxes all packed will the movers just load them on the truck? I do not have a house full of stuff so I could move it my self if that is a thing we can do ? If there is a website someone could point me to that would be awesome.
  2. Senior Member
    Our movers unpacked everything already packed (except stuff in tubs) and re-packed it into their boxes. They did not want to be held accountable for damaged goods. I've heard of people packing things beforehand and then signing waivers for those boxes, but then if they kick/drop/break stuff you won't be reimbursed.

I would just let them pack the stuff, less stress on you.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  3. Senior Member
    If your stuff is packed, the movers *may* just load it on the truck. They have the right to open boxes and to repack as they feel is necessary, so you are going to want to leave all the boxes open rather than taping them shut. Also, keep in mind that if everything is packed when they arrive, it is much harder to prove what was in the boxes if something is damaged or lost. You'll want to very carefully label each box with contents, and make sure the packers write that information for each box on the inventory. Also, you'd be responsible for buying all the boxes and packing materials, and for disposing of them afterwards.

You can move everything yourself. That is called a PPM move. You can find some information on move.mil. Probably the most important thing to keep in mind is that you *must* follow the rules very carefully. An acquaintance recently did a PPM move (some people call it a DTY move, since that was the name before they redid the program) and didn't realize she had to weigh the truck empty at her starting location, as well as full and empty at the new location. For that reason, she may not get any money for the move. But if you do everything correctly, you get reimbursed most of your expenses, including for things like boxes (though it has to be regular boxes, not rubber bins, since those are not considered moving supplies). Honestly, you couldn't pay me to do a PPM move. It's a lot of work. But if you have very little stuff, it might not be so bad.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    If your stuff is packed, the movers *may* just load it on the truck. They have the right to open boxes and to repack as they feel is necessary, so you are going to want to leave all the boxes open rather than taping them shut. Also, keep in mind that if everything is packed when they arrive, it is much harder to prove what was in the boxes if something is damaged or lost. You'll want to very carefully label each box with contents, and make sure the packers write that information for each box on the inventory. Also, you'd be responsible for buying all the boxes and packing materials, and for disposing of them afterwards.

You can move everything yourself. That is called a PPM move. You can find some information on move.mil. Probably the most important thing to keep in mind is that you *must* follow the rules very carefully. An acquaintance recently did a PPM move (some people call it a DTY move, since that was the name before they redid the program) and didn't realize she had to weigh the truck empty at her starting location, as well as full and empty at the new location. For that reason, she may not get any money for the move. But if you do everything correctly, you get reimbursed most of your expenses, including for things like boxes (though it has to be regular boxes, not rubber bins, since those are not considered moving supplies). Honestly, you couldn't pay me to do a PPM move. It's a lot of work. But if you have very little stuff, it might not be so bad.
    I have done a PPM move before. Royal pain in the butt to get reimbursed.

Take the stress out of it and let them do it. Anything gets broken or is missing it's on them.
  5. Regular Member
    Ok thank you guys so much.
  6. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    I would let them pack it. Its hard enough to get stuff replaced when your movers pack and subsequently break it. I can't imagine what they would say if they didn't pack it. I had a mover break my dish-pack and then say, "Oh it was like that." when the box was rattleing with shards of ceramic.

LOL Really dude? You packed broken dishes complete with the dividers?

www.SnarkyFit.com
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curious_Nicole View Post
    I have done a PPM move before. Royal pain in the butt to get reimbursed.

Take the stress out of it and let them do it. Anything gets broken or is missing it's on them.
    Getting reimbursed for us was the easiest part of the entire PPM fun. Just follow the regs and keep all your receipts and it goes smoothly. And this was from an AF base that is well known for screwing people over money wise.
  8. Senior Member
    But yeah I would either do the move your self completely or let them pack you up from the very beginning.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ceci View Post
    Ok so I have been reading the old posts to try and find out about the whole moving thing and lol I am just not finding the information I want to know. So what I want to know is if I have my boxes all packed will the movers just load them on the truck? I do not have a house full of stuff so I could move it my self if that is a thing we can do ? If there is a website someone could point me to that would be awesome.
    Is your husband PCSing or were you recently married and you are moving up to meet him at his duty station?
    This may determine if the military will move you or if you are responsible for moving your own things to where he is.

10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    Getting reimbursed for us was the easiest part of the entire PPM fun. Just follow the regs and keep all your receipts and it goes smoothly. And this was from an AF base that is well known for screwing people over money wise.
    I'm glad you had a better experience. I just have found it's much easier having not to deal with any of it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast