Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Moving to Hawaii Advice or Moving in General Advice

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Moving to Hawaii Advice or Moving in General Advice

Advertisements
    Hi guys!

My boyfriend will be getting stationed in Hawaii relatively soon. I'm graduating with my degree so I'll be following him to Hawaii. The stress of the move is starting to weigh on me. Having to try and find a 'decently' priced place to live, figuring out transportation and knowing I have to look for a job. It is all starting to get overwhelming. I was just wondering if there is anyone here who has lived or lives in Hawaii and had any tips or advice to offer. Or if anyone just has any moving advice to offer period.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nlhoffme40 View Post
    Hi guys!

My boyfriend will be getting stationed in Hawaii relatively soon. I'm graduating with my degree so I'll be following him to Hawaii. The stress of the move is starting to weigh on me. Having to try and find a 'decently' priced place to live, figuring out transportation and knowing I have to look for a job. It is all starting to get overwhelming. I was just wondering if there is anyone here who has lived or lives in Hawaii and had any tips or advice to offer. Or if anyone just has any moving advice to offer period.
    My advice is to start applying for jobs immediately and don't wait until you get here. Are you shipping your vehicle?
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    No. I'm selling my car and I believe he's decided to give his car to his parents. So we're both going to be looking for vehicles.
  4. Senior Member
    You should ship one car, cost of living is HIGH in Hawaii so you will need all that you can save, if you haven't really saved up yet. Probably should take his car, since they'll ship it for him (if he is only giving it to his parents, and if they don't REALLY need it). If you are really going to look for a car here, there is a for sale lot on Hickam AFB. Also, finding a place off base to live will be relatively easy but places here are SMALL, 500 - 800 sq ft can cost up to $1500 a month, some don't even include utilities. Traffic is also quite bad since we have two main roads here, so be prepared to either look for a small place near your work/ his work, or drive 2 hours to get 30 miles if you are going to commute during rush hours.
    OTHER THAN THAT, Hawaii is lovely. I was raised here, and I love it. I find that most people either hate or love it here. Some get island fever because you can't really road trip anywhere, some love it and integrate perfectly. The weather is always about 75-80F degrees, people are pretty nice, most off the food is asian, hawaiian, some american, etc, if you aren't used to that, it might take some getting used to.
  5. Senior Member
    Is your BF a high enough rank to live off base/post? If not, make sure you get a job that will enable you to support yourself. As stated above, the cost of living is High in Hawaii.
  6. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Hawaii is extremely expensive. Look into a staffing company to help you find a job. Other than you're blessed. I'd love to be back there. Make sure you visit Kauai and go to Polihale, it's breathtaking. I hope we get stationed there one day
  7. Senior Member
    Which base will he be at? It might be best for him to have his car shipped. The military will pay for his. My husband was in HI for work this last month and he was talking to someone in the squadron and the guy was saying he can't even walk across the base to the good beach cause they don't allow walking on the runways not even on the weekends. Poor guy was stuck to one side of the base.
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Hey, you can text me if you have any questions! This is our second tour in Hawaii and we are loving it! You are going to be fine!
    Marina
    Last edited by twistertwin; 05-04-2016 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Edited phone number out for security.
  9. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by marinahawaii View Post
    Hey, you can text me if you have any questions! This is our second tour in Hawaii and we are loving it! You are going to be fine!
    Marina
    I edited out your number. You can PM your number, if you'd like.