Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing Unaccompannied orders to accompanied!!!!!

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Shocked Changing Unaccompannied orders to accompanied!!!!!

Advertisements
    My fiance just got his orders to his first pcs or whatever it is called. he said he has 30 days to report to japan which is where they are sending him and we plan on getting married during those 30 days. he is an e-3 and we have no children. I would hate to go 2 years without seeing him but it is the military and am not expecting anything magical. We don't have any children and he is graduating from his mos schooling april 1. We plan on getting married april 6. is there any way ti change his orders so i can join him in japan. He was told he has to finish a year then add on another year before he can send me out but i am reading on here that family's have been able to go to japan in as little as 6 months. So am i stuck in the states or is it possible for him to get me over there. Thanks so much from the new marine corp wife. I know i married the corp and him
  2. Senior Member
    You will have to do a tour conversion with his command. My DH and I did one, and it took us about 5 months from start to finish to be approved, but I know some people who's paperwork took a year to be approved.
    My friend also went through one. Her DH was sent straight out of the school house to Japan and they made him wait until he ranked up before they would approve it, but every command is different. It really all depends on his chain of command.
    You will also have to go through a medical and dental screening before you're approved.
    They will add another year onto his orders, so if he has 2 year orders then it will be 3 once you get there.
    If you have Facebook there's tons of groups on there with a lot of helpful information also.
    Hopefully this is somewhat helpful for you.

3. Senior Member
    Does an E-3 qualify for accompanied orders there? (Maybe one of our Marine spouses can chime in, but when we were in Japan--Navy--I think only E4 or E5 and above could even get accompanied orders.) Just something to confirm before you make decisions based on this possibility.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Senior Member
    Weddings are so exciting! Congratulations and I hope you two can get everything worked out so you can go with him! I wish I was more of a help, but I don't know much when it comes to Marines.
  5. Senior Member
    for you!
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Does an E-3 qualify for accompanied orders there? (Maybe one of our Marine spouses can chime in, but when we were in Japan--Navy--I think only E4 or E5 and above could even get accompanied orders.) Just something to confirm before you make decisions based on this possibility.
    I think it is E4 or E5 and above. My friends wasn't approved until her DH reached E4. So I am 99% sure you're right.
  7. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    He will not get his orders changed soon enough for you to join him in 30 days. He has to get command sponsorship for you, and he can't do that until he talks to the command in Japan. As mentioned above, if they decide to command sponsor you, you still have to go through a medical screening and get approved medically. If he gets the approval to change he will have to add another year on to his enlistment.

Were you getting married April 6th all along, before he got his orders, or did you change it to April 6th because he got orders?

If it is the latter, I would rethink that because getting married does not guarantee you can go, and you could still end up here in the states the entire 2 years he is gone.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    it doesnt matter that i cant go with him becuase we will be getting married anyway on the 6th. I am joining the military and it will work out that he will be gone for 2 years so i can go to basic and mct schooling.
  9. Senior Member
    IF you are joining the military, how will changing his orders help? You can't live with him if you are going to boot camp and training yourself. Also, make sure your recruiter knows you plan on getting married to a service member.

Also, if not being able to see him for 2 years is a major issue for you, make sure you look carefully at being a dual military couple, and even more so if you are joining different branches.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marriedthecorp View Post
    My fiance just got his orders to his first pcs or whatever it is called. he said he has 30 days to report to japan which is where they are sending him and we plan on getting married during those 30 days. he is an e-3 and we have no children. I would hate to go 2 years without seeing him but it is the military and am not expecting anything magical. We don't have any children and he is graduating from his mos schooling april 1. We plan on getting married april 6. is there any way ti change his orders so i can join him in japan. He was told he has to finish a year then add on another year before he can send me out but i am reading on here that family's have been able to go to japan in as little as 6 months. So am i stuck in the states or is it possible for him to get me over there. Thanks so much from the new marine corp wife. I know i married the corp and him
    Quote Originally Posted by Marriedthecorp View Post
    it doesnt matter that i cant go with him becuase we will be getting married anyway on the 6th. I am joining the military and it will work out that he will be gone for 2 years so i can go to basic and mct schooling.
    You changed your mind about moving to Japan pretty fast.

Did you JUST recently, like within the last few days, decide you're joining the military? Have you talked to a recruiter, gone through MEPS, and seen if you qualify? What branch (basic = Army/Air Force, MCT = Marine Corps) are you joining? If you really are joining, it really helps if you both going into the Marine Corps. There aren't a lot of Marine Corps bases out there, so if you're joining another branch then it may be hard for them to keep you near each other. Even in the same branch, you always run the risk of being stationed apart. *Not trying to discourage you, just something to keep in mind if you didn't already know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast