Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Ft Hood/Killeen

1. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey

Moving to Ft Hood/Killeen

Advertisements
    Well, tomorrow I sign my lease in Killeen.

So I'm kinda wondering what are some good things about the area that should check out?
    Good restaurants in the area? Places to get an occasional adult beverage (other than Austin)?

Things I should definitely check out? I'm going in with an open mind.

www.SnarkyFit.com
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Noooo! Just missed each other by a mere three years

If you are good with chain restaurants...thou shall not want. What is a "good restaurant" by your standards? If you are looking for fat and greasy, I got about 75 recommendations and 6 pairs of fat jeans packed away to back it up.
    If not, Texas Land and Cattle's signature sirloin is probably the best steak in town. Razoos is a neat New Orleans/Cajun place (mostly fried, but the grilled gator is good!). I really liked Red Onion Indian Bistro as well.

Theres not tons to do in Killeen itself. I really liked the planetarium at Central Texas College. We did a lot of three day weekend trips to San Antonio, Dallas, and Austin.

Im not a big drinker and rarely drink outside of the home, but getting drive-thru margaritas was so novel to me! Being a Texan, it'll probably be less so to you.
  3. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Katyp View Post

If you are good with chain restaurants...thou shall not want. What is a "good restaurant" by your standards? If you are looking for fat and greasy, I got about 75 recommendations and 6 pairs of fat jeans packed away to back it up.
    If not, Texas Land and Cattle's signature sirloin is probably the best steak in town. Razoos is a neat New Orleans/Cajun place (mostly fried, but the grilled gator is good!). I really liked Red Onion Indian Bistro as well.

Theres not tons to do in Killeen itself. I really liked the planetarium at Central Texas College. We did a lot of three day weekend trips to San Antonio, Dallas, and Austin.

Im not a big drinker and rarely drink outside of the home, but getting drive-thru margaritas was so novel to me! Being a Texan, it'll probably be less so to you.
    Katy covered everything I'd have told you except I'm a Texan and drive thru margaritas are still a novel thing to me I have one of those places down the road from my job and still get excited when I don't have to pick up DD and can grab one on the way home (can't when I have DD because it'll melt by the time I get home and can drink it )

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by April Lynne View Post
    Katy covered everything I'd have told you except I'm a Texan and drive thru margaritas are still a novel thing to me I have one of those places down the road from my job and still get excited when I don't have to pick up DD and can grab one on the way home (can't when I have DD because it'll melt by the time I get home and can drink it )
    Whaaat? That's a thing?!
    I'm an Austin area native so how have I never heard of this?!
    Where does one get a drive thru margarita?

5. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    Whaaat? That's a thing?!
    I'm an Austin area native so how have I never heard of this?!
    Where does one get a drive thru margarita?
    The one down the road from my job is called Daquiri Barn or something (they do daquiris and margaritas) when you drive thru they give you a drink in a togo cup with a lid and tape over the part of the lid where the straw goes and no straw. I guess that's how they get around the whole selling alcoholic drinks to go thing...

6. Senior Member
    The one down the road from my job is called Daquiri Barn or something (they do daquiris and margaritas) when you drive thru they give you a drink in a togo cup with a lid and tape over the part of the lid where the straw goes and no straw. I guess that's how they get around the whole selling alcoholic drinks to go thing...
    Ohhh so that's how they do it! Glad you explained because I was wondering how it wasn't considered an "open container".

I need to find one of these places next time I'm home for a visit!

7. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    Ohhh so that's how they do it! Glad you explained because I was wondering how it wasn't considered an "open container".

I need to find one of these places next time I'm home for a visit!
    I didn't realize it was just a Texas thing there was one in College Station when I lived there too! Now I'm totally going to get a daiquiri on the way home today

8. Senior Member
    Thats sooo cool!! I thought drive thru liquor stores in FL were cool never mind margarita's!! I will have to check this out!
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  9. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

You're not far from meeeee!!!! I'm in Jarrell and I know Tojai is still close by too! But Killeen wasn't so bad. We would always go to Austin for going out though so we're like no help there I prefer the Cove or Harker Heights HEB to the Killeen one but it may be a bit of a drive depending on where you are in Killeen! Post isn't bad either! The Pluckers in Killeen was always really good and they have good drinks! Go out the the Dead Fish Grill in Belton, it's more for the view but the drinks are good and the food isn't too bad!

10. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by Katyp View Post

Hmm... I really like ethnic cuisines. Not so much the greasy chains and fast foods. My stomach just can't. But I appreciate a good wine bar, coffee shop, etc... We actually had quite a few in College Station/Bryan.

I'm not a big "bar" person -- especially since I dont know anyone and DH won't be there, so I can't imagine that I'll be frequenting the local watering holes too much. I do enjoy a decent country bar every now and then with dancing. I can't do many of the dances but the few that I do know -- I like. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by amandalouwho2 View Post
    You're not far from meeeee!!!! I'm in Jarrell and I know Tojai is still close by too! But Killeen wasn't so bad. We would always go to Austin for going out though so we're like no help there I prefer the Cove or Harker Heights HEB to the Killeen one but it may be a bit of a drive depending on where you are in Killeen! Post isn't bad either! The Pluckers in Killeen was always really good and they have good drinks! Go out the the Dead Fish Grill in Belton, it's more for the view but the drinks are good and the food isn't too bad!
    YAY! We will have to get together for lunch one day! I'm in South East Killeen -- just up the road from that big Veterans Cemetery. It turns into country very quickly just past my subdivision that has the WORST name ever... Splawn-something? I know the first part is right: Splawn. Someone was naming a subdivision and that was the winning name. I'd hate to hear what the losing names were.

I didn't realize it was just a Texas thing there was one in College Station when I lived there too! Now I'm totally going to get a daiquiri on the way home today
    Wait, there is a drive thru Margarita place in College Station? I've got 6 more weeks with DH living in CS so I'll be there on the weekends. I'm there right now, actually. WHERE can I get one here?

www.SnarkyFit.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast