Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PCSing and finding a job

1. Senior Member

PCSing and finding a job

Advertisements
    What did you do to find a job after PCSing?(If you needed to work)
    Not exactly sure when I will be following DH to his duty station, but it will be around mid April-May. I will need to find a job IMMEDIATELY. We can not afford our bills on just his salary. Our car loans combined it's like we pay a mortgage each month
    I was going to search career builder and such sites and apply for jobs and if an employer was interested seeing if they would do a phone/skype interview. Of course I'd be prepared to go in for an actual face-to-face interview once I arrive there. I was thinking of taking a day or two to go for interviews when I go search for a house.(If any employers are interested in me, that is)
    Anyone ever do something similar? Any suggestions on what I should do?
    Thanks in advance
  2. Regular Member
    Check with the local base/post and see if they know of anything. Also most bases/post have classes on federal jobs.

I also recommend going to a relief society and doing a budget. The navy/mc has the NMCRS and they offer just doing a budget with the service members so they can see what they can truly afford.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duckbutt View Post
    Check with the local base/post and see if they know of anything. Also most bases/post have classes on federal jobs.

I also recommend going to a relief society and doing a budget. The navy/mc has the NMCRS and they offer just doing a budget with the service members so they can see what they can truly afford.
    I had no idea about that. DH already did one of those classes/budget things. It was required of him and he passed everything along to me since I'm the one who does the budget. And doing that YNAB(you need a budget) program helped too
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by caljmw649 View Post
    I had no idea about that. DH already did one of those classes/budget things. It was required of him and he passed everything along to me since I'm the one who does the budget.
    honestly if your car loans are that much I would think about trading them in for cheaper cars. as for finding jobs what kind of jobs are you looking for? I know federal you can usually apply online and do a phone interview ( I lived in NH when I got mine) but other jobs might want you to be there in person. I'm personally going to wait until we get settled after DB's PCS (next April) to start looking for work but our budget works out that I don't need to have a job immediately the day I get there just eventually will to give us more wiggle room.
  5. Senior Member
    What do you have experience with? I would start looking on indeed or another website now just to get an idea of whats out there.
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild*Rose View Post
    honestly if your car loans are that much I would think about trading them in for cheaper cars. as for finding jobs what kind of jobs are you looking for? I know federal you can usually apply online and do a phone interview ( I lived in NH when I got mine) but other jobs might want you to be there in person. I'm personally going to wait until we get settled after DB's PCS (next April) to start looking for work but our budget works out that I don't need to have a job immediately the day I get there just eventually will to give us more wiggle room.
    It's not that we have expensive cars, he has a hyundai elantra and I have a nissan rogue. It's the loan to value ratio. He is wayyy over on his cause he jumped into a shitty truck that months down the road had brake issues that could not be fixed. It was going to be a recurring issue that no way were we going to pay monthly into. The loan for that truck and his car are the same so we would have been paying more for his truck. I'm over my loan to value by 2-3 thousand cause my truck's head gasket blew so we didn't get as much for it as we could have. It was a $5,000 fix and we went in saying nothing was wrong but they found it. If we got what it was worth, my loan would be in a good range. I so wish I still had that truck
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by irish85 View Post
    What do you have experience with? I would start looking on indeed or another website now just to get an idea of whats out there.
    I only have experience working in medical offices. But I want to work in animal control
  8. Senior Member
    I haven't been in the same situation, but I conduct plenty of interviews. At least for my company we are happy to conduct interviews of Skype as a preliminary stage, but have typically conducted a follow-up in-person prior to making an offer. You can always PCS, get a job at in retail or food service and then search for something that is a long term fit. You can search federal jobs on USAJobs.com, both my DB and I have gone this route in the past and found the process to be long (but hey its the government, surprise). For budgeting, check out Dave Ramsey and his tools for budgeting and spending. Most of his advice is pretty sound. But I'm agreed that getting out of those upside down cars loans would really lighten some of the financial burden. A $3-5,000 car can get you from point A to B. And that allows you to put that money to savings, it would dramatically change your 3-5 year plan. Heck, my car is a 1999 piece of junk but not having a payment is awesome.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by caljmw649 View Post
    It's not that we have expensive cars, he has a hyundai elantra and I have a nissan rogue. It's the loan to value ratio. He is wayyy over on his cause he jumped into a shitty truck that months down the road had brake issues that could not be fixed. It was going to be a recurring issue that no way were we going to pay monthly into. The loan for that truck and his car are the same so we would have been paying more for his truck. I'm over my loan to value by 2-3 thousand cause my truck's head gasket blew so we didn't get as much for it as we could have. It was a $5,000 fix and we went in saying nothing was wrong but they found it. If we got what it was worth, my loan would be in a good range. I so wish I still had that truck
    If you can't get out of the loans maybe refinancing them to get a lower interest rate of stretching them out longer so its not such a huge burden might be something to consider.
  10. scotlandgrl53
    scotlandgrl53
    Blog Entries
    I would just start applying using indeed etc. In your cover letter state that you are relocating to the area and make sure you make a notation about when you would be willing to start at the new location. I think it will make it more difficult to get hired as they are usually pretty hesitant about hiring from further away but if your date you are willing to start and the day that they want an employee correlate you have a chance!
    I need a
    a
    I don't have forever or

So don't let me

I AshleyO
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast