Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: PCSing car question

  1. Senior Member
    caljmw649's Avatar
    caljmw649 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Together in North Carolina!
    Posts
    1,582
    #1

    PCSing car question

    Advertisements
    I have yet to do a PCS, but it's coming up shortly. After DH got his orders for Fort Bliss I called his recruiter as I had some questions, apparently I'm not supposed to talk to his recruiter while he's still in training? I was never told that. But anyway, he told me DH would be given 10 days to look for a place to live and then an additional X amount of days to drive our vehicles as the army will not move them.

    DH was filling out a sponsor form with one of his sergeants and his sergeant told him he would not be able to help me move the vehicles. In the end, that's not what the sergeant said, DH just misunderstood. But DH wants me to drive his vehicle to his AIT graduation so that he can then drive himself to his duty station. He was told he could do that. I wasn't planning on driving as it is a 22 hour drive.

    I told him he needed to correctly ask his sergeant about helping me drive the vehicles. His sergeant told him you'll get 10 days to look for a place and he asked "What about our vehicles?" And the sergeant said the movers will move one and then the other will have to be driven. I'm confused cause I didn't think the army would pay for a vehicle to be moved unless it was overseas.

    DH doesn't think he'll get time to help me drive the vehicles. I asked him to reword his question to his sergeant and he said he left for the day so I said well why does it have to be that sergeant? Ask another sergeant and he said that sergeant was stationed at Fort Bliss so he would know. It has nothing to do with where the sergeant was stationed!

    But now he's telling me not to go for the graduation as it's a waste of money. So of course now n im annoyed at him.
    Can anyone give a little insight on whether or not he'll be given X amount of days to help me move the vehicles? Please and thank you
  2. Senior Member
    idratherbehiking's Avatar
    idratherbehiking is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Arendelle
    Posts
    5,783
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by caljmw649 View Post
    I have yet to do a PCS, but it's coming up shortly. After DH got his orders for Fort Bliss I called his recruiter as I had some questions, apparently I'm not supposed to talk to his recruiter while he's still in training? I was never told that. But anyway, he told me DH would be given 10 days to look for a place to live and then an additional X amount of days to drive our vehicles as the army will not move them.

    DH was filling out a sponsor form with one of his sergeants and his sergeant told him he would not be able to help me move the vehicles. In the end, that's not what the sergeant said, DH just misunderstood. But DH wants me to drive his vehicle to his AIT graduation so that he can then drive himself to his duty station. He was told he could do that. I wasn't planning on driving as it is a 22 hour drive.

    I told him he needed to correctly ask his sergeant about helping me drive the vehicles. His sergeant told him you'll get 10 days to look for a place and he asked "What about our vehicles?" And the sergeant said the movers will move one and then the other will have to be driven. I'm confused cause I didn't think the army would pay for a vehicle to be moved unless it was overseas.

    DH doesn't think he'll get time to help me drive the vehicles. I asked him to reword his question to his sergeant and he said he left for the day so I said well why does it have to be that sergeant? Ask another sergeant and he said that sergeant was stationed at Fort Bliss so he would know. It has nothing to do with where the sergeant was stationed!

    But now he's telling me not to go for the graduation as it's a waste of money. So of course now n im annoyed at him.
    Can anyone give a little insight on whether or not he'll be given X amount of days to help me move the vehicles? Please and thank you
    The bold is completely wrong.

    They don't ship cars for you but they will give you per diem and mileage to drive the cars yourself. He is supposed to get time to travel to his next duty station--the time will be based on the distance he'll have to travel. Also, in a lot of cases, they give extra time for house hunting. He really should talk to TMO about this because his SGT and recruiter aren't going to have all the answers.

    And I didn't go to DH's MOS graduation, only his boot camp graduation. He told me that most families don't go to the school graduations anyway.




  3. Senior Member
    villanelle's Avatar
    villanelle is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    14,790
    #3
    I think that 10 days is house hunting leave, in which case they aren't required to give that to him. They try to, but if they timing doesn't work, he won't get it. He will definitely get travel time (free, uncharged leave). How much depends on the distance of the PCS. He could use that to fly to you and then drive, adding another day or two if needed (assuming his new command doesn't require him to check in sooner than that).

    Also, asking some random person (sergeant, whatever rank) is a mistake. Just because someone has some rank doesn't mean they are an expert in these specific policies. PSD (or whatever the Army calls the office that covers pay and benefits) would be the place to go, not some random guy he works with.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Senior Member
    irish85's Avatar
    irish85 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,732
    #4
    Df had about a month in between leaving NY and reporting to Fort Bliss.
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  5. Senior Member
    caljmw649's Avatar
    caljmw649 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Together in North Carolina!
    Posts
    1,582
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    The bold is completely wrong.

    They don't ship cars for you but they will give you per diem and mileage to drive the cars yourself. He is supposed to get time to travel to his next duty station--the time will be based on the distance he'll have to travel. Also, in a lot of cases, they give extra time for house hunting. He really should talk to TMO about this because his SGT and recruiter aren't going to have all the answers.

    And I didn't go to DH's MOS graduation, only his boot camp graduation. He told me that most families don't go to the school graduations anyway.
    TMO is traffic management office? When he joined neither of us knew there would be an AIT graduation, we knew there was one for basic though. When we found out there would be one for AIT it was never a question of whether or not I'd go. He said once he found out the graduation date he'd tell me and I said yeah I'll have to buy a plane ticket, blah blah blah. I mean, there really is no reason I can't go. He's just telling me not to go cause we got annoyed at each other. His recruiter told me that he'd be given a set amount of days to travel and he thinks I'm wrong cause his sergeant told him he couldn't help me move the cars. But on every other PCS thread I've read people stated their SO was with them to move the cars.

    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I think that 10 days is house hunting leave, in which case they aren't required to give that to him. They try to, but if they timing doesn't work, he won't get it. He will definitely get travel time (free, uncharged leave). How much depends on the distance of the PCS. He could use that to fly to you and then drive, adding another day or two if needed (assuming his new command doesn't require him to check in sooner than that).

    Also, asking some random person (sergeant, whatever rank) is a mistake. Just because someone has some rank doesn't mean they are an expert in these specific policies. PSD (or whatever the Army calls the office that covers pay and benefits) would be the place to go, not some random guy he works with.
    Yeah he wants me to call and talk to someone about all of it, but I'm like who do I call?! I think idratherbehiking answered that for me though.

    Quote Originally Posted by irish85 View Post
    Df had about a month in between leaving NY and reporting to Fort Bliss.
    Now, don't get me excited!
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    DakotaCowgirl's Avatar
    DakotaCowgirl is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Home is where our feet land
    Posts
    12,453
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    The bold is completely wrong.

    They don't ship cars for you but they will give you per diem and mileage to drive the cars yourself. He is supposed to get time to travel to his next duty station--the time will be based on the distance he'll have to travel. Also, in a lot of cases, they give extra time for house hunting. He really should talk to TMO about this because his SGT and recruiter aren't going to have all the answers.

    And I didn't go to DH's MOS graduation, only his boot camp graduation. He told me that most families don't go to the school graduations anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I think that 10 days is house hunting leave, in which case they aren't required to give that to him. They try to, but if they timing doesn't work, he won't get it. He will definitely get travel time (free, uncharged leave). How much depends on the distance of the PCS. He could use that to fly to you and then drive, adding another day or two if needed (assuming his new command doesn't require him to check in sooner than that).

    Also, asking some random person (sergeant, whatever rank) is a mistake. Just because someone has some rank doesn't mean they are an expert in these specific policies. PSD (or whatever the Army calls the office that covers pay and benefits) would be the place to go, not some random guy he works with.
    Yes.

    They don't move your cars. You move your cars. Also, there is no one you can call. It all has to go through your sponsor and need to be taken care of there. You calling up people will just make him look bad and that is nor your place.

    You'll get travel days and paid per mile for gas and housing. You'll need to wait and see how the orders are cut too. You'll probably have to pay for everything up front and then get reimbursed. Make sure you have coverage on that one.

    Good luck.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  7. Senior Member
    irish85's Avatar
    irish85 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,732
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by caljmw649 View Post
    TMO is traffic management office? When he joined neither of us knew there would be an AIT graduation, we knew there was one for basic though. When we found out there would be one for AIT it was never a question of whether or not I'd go. He said once he found out the graduation date he'd tell me and I said yeah I'll have to buy a plane ticket, blah blah blah. I mean, there really is no reason I can't go. He's just telling me not to go cause we got annoyed at each other. His recruiter told me that he'd be given a set amount of days to travel and he thinks I'm wrong cause his sergeant told him he couldn't help me move the cars. But on every other PCS thread I've read people stated their SO was with them to move the cars.



    Yeah he wants me to call and talk to someone about all of it, but I'm like who do I call?! I think idratherbehiking answered that for me though.



    Now, don't get me excited!
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  8. Senior Member
    idratherbehiking's Avatar
    idratherbehiking is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Arendelle
    Posts
    5,783
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by caljmw649 View Post
    TMO is traffic management office? When he joined neither of us knew there would be an AIT graduation, we knew there was one for basic though. When we found out there would be one for AIT it was never a question of whether or not I'd go. He said once he found out the graduation date he'd tell me and I said yeah I'll have to buy a plane ticket, blah blah blah. I mean, there really is no reason I can't go. He's just telling me not to go cause we got annoyed at each other. His recruiter told me that he'd be given a set amount of days to travel and he thinks I'm wrong cause his sergeant told him he couldn't help me move the cars. But on every other PCS thread I've read people stated their SO was with them to move the cars.



    Yeah he wants me to call and talk to someone about all of it, but I'm like who do I call?! I think idratherbehiking answered that for me though.



    Now, don't get me excited!
    TMO is transportation management office but I think they go by something different now. Dakota's rught, your husband will have to set up the move.

    And it's not guaranteed that he'd get a month off. DH got about a month off but that was because he got 8 days free leave for our move (it was cross country and remember time given is determined by distance), plus house hunting time, plus he put in for leave (he has like 70 days saved) but your SO may not have much leave saved since he's been less than a year. Also there's his "report by date" to keep in mind.




  9. Senior Member
    idratherbehiking's Avatar
    idratherbehiking is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Arendelle
    Posts
    5,783
    #9
    Check this site out: http://www.move.mil




  10. Senior Member
    irish85's Avatar
    irish85 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,732
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    TMO is transportation management office but I think they go by something different now. Dakota's rught, your husband will have to set up the move.

    And it's not guaranteed that he'd get a month off. DH got about a month off but that was because he got 8 days free leave for our move (it was cross country and remember time given is determined by distance), plus house hunting time, plus he put in for leave (he has like 70 days saved) but your SO may not have much leave saved since he's been less than a year. Also there's his "report by date" to keep in mind.
    Very true!
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •