Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shipping Pets!

1. Senior Member

Shipping Pets!

Advertisements
    I need some info on what my option are when it comes to my pets. We are moving from NJ to CA in April and we are going to be driving. My husband does not want to drive across the country with a lab, a cat, and a two year old. He is being so persistent about shipping my furbabies across the country, but has no info on whether its even an option or how we go about it. If I can't find something then he wants me to leave my babies with family until we can figure something else out, and I really do not want to do that! If anyone has any idea or information about how this would work I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks
    just keep swimming
  2. Senior Member
    Uh no. If it's at all possible to avoid shipping them I would never do it. I shipped my dog from Hawaii to Florida and everything was fine, but I was terrified the whole time. Not worth the risk imo. Driving with animals isn't even that hard, my vet gives me acepromazine and they sleep through the entire drive.
  3. Senior Member
    It's something we have arguing about since he got his orders. Its not something I want to do...
    I was just asking to see what my options are..I know it isn't hard to drive with pets, I have been driving six hours each way with them to visit family for the last four years. But 3,000 miles is a huge difference from 300...
    just keep swimming
  4. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Uh no. If it's at all possible to avoid shipping them I would never do it. I shipped my dog from Hawaii to Florida and everything was fine, but I was terrified the whole time. Not worth the risk imo. Driving with animals isn't even that hard, my vet gives me acepromazine and they sleep through the entire drive.

I shipped my dogs from Florida to Hawaii and again from Hawaii to New York. Effing sucks. Don't ship your pets if you don't have to
    ~Becca~

5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stephaa2430 View Post
    I need some info on what my option are when it comes to my pets. We are moving from NJ to CA in April and we are going to be driving. My husband does not want to drive across the country with a lab, a cat, and a two year old. He is being so persistent about shipping my furbabies across the country, but has no info on whether its even an option or how we go about it. If I can't find something then he wants me to leave my babies with family until we can figure something else out, and I really do not want to do that! If anyone has any idea or information about how this would work I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks
    It's something we have arguing about since he got his orders. Its not something I want to do...
    I was just asking to see what my options are..I know it isn't hard to drive with pets, I have been driving six hours each way with them to visit family for the last four years. But 3,000 miles is a huge difference from 300...
    Our last PCS was longer than yours (California to Massachusetts) and we drove with two large breed dogs. DH and I drove our own cars, one car had a lot of stuff and the other car had both dogs, and it was not bad at all. You just have to make frequent stops-- we stopped every 1/2 tank of gas to fill up and let them out to potty and stretch their legs.

Honestly, I would never ship my pets if I didn't absolutely have to.

6. Senior Member
    no no no. don't ever ship pets when you don't have to, especially going into the summer months. It's so stressful on them. We've shipped our dogs twice, once to germany and then back again because we obviously had no choice. When we PCS, we'll be driving where ever we go, and the dogs will ride with me. Why not take separate cars? And put the animals in your car, that way he doesn't have to worry about it.

also, shipping pets can get really really expensive, especially cross country.

7. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

There are countless pet friendly hotels from coast to coast. Realistically, you're likely not going to be driving much more than 300 miles a day with a small child anyway. It won't be much different than driving to see family.

my family drove from NM to FL last summer with four dogs. It's not that difficult.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  8. Senior Member
    Yeah I mean you have options, but they're all shitty. And it might be difficult (or impossible) to fly them that time of year anyway because I think most airlines won't do it once a certain temperature is reached because the animals get heat stroke or whatever. Your husband is being a baby, it sucks driving with animals but that's just kind of part of the lifestyle he chose when he joined the military and then got pets.
  9. Senior Member
    Shipping 2 pets unaccompanied, one of them very large, will be very expensive. Not to mention the unnecessary stress it puts on the animals. You can look at the United PetSafe program, as one option. But it's not something I would even consider. I'd put my foot down with DH and tell him I was no more shipping the pets than I was the 2yo. He made a commitment to all three of them and he doesn't get to squirm out of that just because it isn't ideal. When I was a kid, my family moved cross country with pets (very large dogs) several times. It really was no big deal. we were stopping every few hours anyway (and with a 2 yo you may be stopping even more often). There are plenty of pet friendly hotels that aren't expensive. It really isn't going to slow you down, cost you money, or make your trip significantly more difficult. What exactly does he think the problem will be? Does he have a *specific* issue?
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Why don't you just ship your husband instead?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast