Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Dependent vs. Acquired Dependent

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Dependent vs. Acquired Dependent

Advertisements
    Can someone please tell me the difference between the two and when one is considered an acquired dependent?

TIA
  2. Senior Member
    From Milpersman

An acquired dependent is an individual who becomes a dependent through birth, marriage, adoption, or other action during the course of a Navy servicemember's current overseas tour of duty
    People often use it to refer to things stateside as well, but I believe the official term is technically only for overseas. (See above.) Basically, it means you got married (or have a kid, or he gets a new dependent some other way) after he receives or executes his orders. So if he gets orders and moves to Japan when he is still unmarried, and then marries you, you are an acquired dependent for the purposes of figuring out what allowances apply to you in terms of moving HHG, paying for airfare to move you there, etc.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    From Milpersman

People often use it to refer to things stateside as well, but I believe the official term is technically only for overseas. (See above.) Basically, it means you got married (or have a kid, or he gets a new dependent some other way) after he receives or executes his orders. So if he gets orders and moves to Japan when he is still unmarried, and then marries you, you are an acquired dependent for the purposes of figuring out what allowances apply to you in terms of moving HHG, paying for airfare to move you there, etc.
    I actually saw that definition in my google searching haha so it is more for overseas and not CONUS orders? DB just found out he's getting orders soon (he can start picking in April and I guess should have hard copy by Dec/Jan) so I'm just trying to figure out a basic timeline for if we decided to get married before.

and thanks Villanelle!
  4. Senior Member
    It does not only apply when the military member is stationed OCONUS. There are sometimes different rules that apply when the military member is stationed CONUS and acquires a dependent too.

From the JTR, Appendix A

ACQUIRED DEPENDENT (Members Only). A dependent acquired through marriage, adoption, or other action during the current tour of assigned duty. Does not include dependents or children born of a marriage that existed before the beginning of a current tour.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    It does not only apply when the military member is stationed OCONUS. There are sometimes different rules that apply when the military member is stationed CONUS and acquires a dependent too.

From the JTR, Appendix A

ACQUIRED DEPENDENT (Members Only). A dependent acquired through marriage, adoption, or other action during the current tour of assigned duty. Does not include dependents or children born of a marriage that existed before the beginning of a current tour.
    and this is where I'm confused....his current tour of duty is DC (where he is now right?) so if we got married I wouldn't be considered a dependent on his new orders to say San Diego?
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *Heather* View Post
    and this is where I'm confused....his current tour of duty is DC (where he is now right?) so if we got married I wouldn't be considered a dependent on his new orders to say San Diego?
    It depends. Is there some specific benefit you are wanting to know whether he'll get for you? Are you thinking of marrying before he actually moves to San Diego? Does he already have the SD orders?
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    It depends. Is there some specific benefit you are wanting to know whether he'll get for you? Are you thinking of marrying before he actually moves to San Diego? Does he already have the SD orders?
    no he doesn't its purely hypothetical at this point I was just curious what it meant. He will have orders Dec/ Jan time frame to somewhere haha we are debating marrying before he moves and I would think hopefully before he gets orders. I just saw the term used here the other day and am trying to get a good grasp on what it actually means.

I'm just trying to think of how much I would need to save up and obv that changes if I need to be planning to move my own furniture etc.
  8. Senior Member
    If you got married while he is stationed in DC, you would be considered acquired during his DC tour. Since you live in Woodbridge, VA, it will not be a problem when he gets orders to his next assignment, you would be included on his orders and you and your stuff will be moved by the military. You might need to move your stuff to his place or vice versa, but that should not be a big deal. If you lived further apart, the fact that you would be considered an acquired dependent might be more of an issue.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    If you got married while he is stationed in DC, you would be considered acquired during his DC tour. Since you live in Woodbridge, VA, it will not be a problem when he gets orders to his next assignment, you would be included on his orders and you and your stuff will be moved by the military. You might need to move your stuff to his place or vice versa, but that should not be a big deal. If you lived further apart, the fact that you would be considered an acquired dependent might be more of an issue.
    thank you! that makes so much more sense to me we're moving in together this week so moving stuff isn't a huge deal. That official definition was just so vague it had me confused haha