Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Qualifies as a Dependent for a PCS

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Who Qualifies as a Dependent for a PCS

Advertisements
    Ok DB and I have been debating this all weekend but I figured y'all know more about this than I do. Who is considered a dependent for a PCS? It's only wives and children right? DB is under the impression from people in his office that fiancées are considered dependents and will be moved.

He is due to PCS in about a year so we are just trying to figure out what we are going to do knowing we will more than likely be engaged by then.

TIA (and yes I googled and he still says my sources are outdated and not correct)
  2. aBr
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I think the only people who qualify are the people in DEERS as dependents. Isn't that how they know who to put on the orders?
  3. Senior Member
    Only spouses and children.

Are y'all currently living together?

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    Only spouses and children.

Are y'all currently living together?
    as of 01 March we will be!!

thanks both of you for saying I was right haha
  5. Senior Member

From my experience when I was Active Duty, it is only those claimed on his page 2 that he is eligible to receive compensation for (unless he is supporting disabled parent, etc). So until you two are married and you are in DEERS, the military will not pay for your items to be moved.
  6. Senior Member
    Usually only spouses and children. In some cases, people have been able to add someone like an aging parent, but it is difficult to do, and they have to be added officially as a dependent before they will be included in move allowances.

They will not pay per diem for you to move, or for any other expenses. Technically, even your personal items should not be in his PCS move. "Fiancee" is such a gray area and used so many different ways by different people that they simply can't be included. Otherwise, someone could simply say, "yup, this person is my fiancee, not give me money for her".
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Usually only spouses and children. In some cases, people have been able to add someone like an aging parent, but it is difficult to do, and they have to be added officially as a dependent before they will be included in move allowances.

They will not pay per diem for you to move, or for any other expenses. Technically, even your personal items should not be in his PCS move. "Fiancee" is such a gray area and used so many different ways by different people that they simply can't be included. Otherwise, someone could simply say, "yup, this person is my fiancee, not give me money for her".
    thank you. This is kinda what I was thinking and trying to explain to him. I wasn't sure if something changed with the removal of DADT (I know federally a lot of these changes have affected who can be covered on our insurance) so I figured I would double check!
  8. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post

Yeah, don't you have to prove you provide more than 50% of their (aging parent) income and/or they're incapable of taking care of themselves? I've always been curious. It's hard to gather all that stuff up, and even then the military can deny it.

OP, maybe he's hearing that because (like DH and I) we were legally married for almost 2 years before we had our big wedding. We still called each other fiance because our big wedding was what mattered to us.

9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by the_lepus View Post
    Yeah, don't you have to prove you provide more than 50% of their (aging parent) income and/or they're incapable of taking care of themselves? I've always been curious. It's hard to gather all that stuff up, and even then the military can deny it.

OP, maybe he's hearing that because (like DH and I) we were legally married for almost 2 years before we had our big wedding. We still called each other fiance because our big wedding was what mattered to us.
    this is what I'm thinking he heard either that or people just saying a whole house full of stuff was there's when it was their DG/DF's stuff. I'm thinking doing it like you did is a good compromise because he wants the big wedding and I really don't haha
  10. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by the_lepus View Post

It is 1/2 of their living expenses for at least a year and depending on the situation it can be denied. I was going to try for that for my mom after my father passed but realized it was easier to get out on a hardship discharge to care for her than try to suffer financially for a year to then try and claim her.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast