Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: PCS to CONUS and non command sponsored dependent

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

PCS to CONUS and non command sponsored dependent

Advertisements
    I can't even come up for a succinct title for this thing! Agh! Well, ladies, here's the deal.
    My husband and I got married while he was on unaccompanied orders to Japan. When he gets moved back to CONUS, will I be accounted for in any way or will I be expected to move myself to his next duty station (without standard PCS fanfare) as I was not on their records before his move to Japan?
    I've lurked on the forums and haven't found a case quite like mine - most of y'all were married before the big OCONUS PCS so everything's different! However if there's a post answering this feel free to just throw me the link and I won't bother y'all. Thank you in advance!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    It depends on how long he had left over there and you would need to go through the command sponsorship. That can take anywhere from 3-6 months.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DakotaCowgirl View Post
    It depends on how long he had left over there and you would need to go through the command sponsorship. That can take anywhere from 3-6 months.
    I'm not sure why command sponsorship would matter. I think what she's asking is that if she's in Texas now (as an example) and he PCSes from Japan to CA, will they pay to move her stuff from Texas to CA.

OP, My best guess is no, but that's just a guess. You can read through the JTR, which you can find online. It's really long and dense, but it's the best source of info. If they won't pay for the move, if he hasn't used his Home of Record move yet and you live near his HOR, that might be an option, though I know there are technically rules about when the stuff came in to his possession so make sure you look in to and follow those.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DasWiffle View Post
    I can't even come up for a succinct title for this thing! Agh! Well, ladies, here's the deal.
    My husband and I got married while he was on unaccompanied orders to Japan. When he gets moved back to CONUS, will I be accounted for in any way or will I be expected to move myself to his next duty station (without standard PCS fanfare) as I was not on their records before his move to Japan?
    I've lurked on the forums and haven't found a case quite like mine - most of y'all were married before the big OCONUS PCS so everything's different! However if there's a post answering this feel free to just throw me the link and I won't bother y'all. Thank you in advance!
    If you are in deers and the military knows about you, you should be included in his orders to his new base (providing he doesn't have the orders already). I am unsure if they will pay to move your things he would have to check with TMO on that.
  5. Senior Member
    Yes, the military will move you to his new PDS if you are CONUS now. The JTR is here http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/Docs/perdiem/JTR.pdf. You want to read section 5088.
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    Yes, the military will move you to his new PDS if you are CONUS now. The JTR is here http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/Docs/perdiem/JTR.pdf. You want to read section 5088.
    Thank you so much! I'll dig through that. that's exactly what I was looking for.
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I'm not sure why command sponsorship would matter. I think what she's asking is that if she's in Texas now (as an example) and he PCSes from Japan to CA, will they pay to move her stuff from Texas to CA.

OP, My best guess is no, but that's just a guess. You can read through the JTR, which you can find online. It's really long and dense, but it's the best source of info. If they won't pay for the move, if he hasn't used his Home of Record move yet and you live near his HOR, that might be an option, though I know there are technically rules about when the stuff came in to his possession so make sure you look in to and follow those.
    Correct, we're not planning on seeking command sponsorship at this time as he doesn't have that long remaining on his time over there. Thank you so much!