Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Returning CONUS early and BAH

1. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

Returning CONUS early and BAH

Advertisements
    I have a friend here in Okinawa who wants to return to CONUS early, because they bought a house and her daughter wants to start high school there. The military will not do an Early Return (Release?) or Dependents, because they aren't getting divorced.

Her biggest concern is getting BAH. I told her that if she and the kids pay to move themselves back, her husband will go to the BOQ and they will get BAH. However, she wants to see that in writing somewhere. She will only do it if she is CERTAIN they will get BAH after they send themselves home. Does anyone know if she for sure will? Is it written somewhere? I need some proof before she takes the leap.

Thanks!
  2. Senior Member
    Why would they pay him BAH for her? They are deciding to geo-bach.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    Yup. This was their choice. I don't think they would pay; but, stranger things have happened.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  5. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    Wait, I'm confused. Geo-bachelors always get BAH for their families, since the service member lives in the barracks.

Right, she already knows they won't get approved for ERD. I put that in the OP.
  6. Senior Member
    Seems like a moot point if they already purchased a house. They'll either get it or not. They might as well go back now since they'll be paying the mortgage regardless, right?
  7. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCupcake View Post
    Seems like a moot point if they already purchased a house. They'll either get it or not. They might as well go back now since they'll be paying the mortgage regardless, right?
    That's a good point. I wonder why they only want to go back if they get BAH. I'm pretty sure they aren't renting it out.
  8. Senior Member
    I don't know the policy and am not willing to wade through the awful JTR (but she should!), but I do know that there was one couple I was aware of that did this and they did not get BAH. The husband stayed in his housing (off base rental), and I don't know if that affected the BAH or if he decided to stay since they wouldn't have gotten BAH anyway.

Also, she should be aware that his COLA will go down to the w/o dependents rate.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by be: pistachio View Post
    Wait, I'm confused. Geo-bachelors always get BAH for their families, since the service member lives in the barracks.
    No, the military member does not always get to live in the barracks. Even if they do, they are often have to pay in order to live there.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by be: pistachio View Post

Right, she already knows they won't get approved for ERD. I put that in the OP.
    They get BAH for where the service member is stationed if geo-bach'ing, not where the family is. And I don't think the service member lives in the dorms/barracks. So I assume the husband would still be required to live off base and would get the OHA for that and everything for the spouse would be out of pocket since she choose to move home. Also of course no family separation pay in addition to decrease in cola.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast