Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Out of Basic out to CA

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Out of Basic out to CA

Advertisements
    Hello! I am new. I have been told by friends and family members to sign on to a support group. My wife is currently in Air Force Basic Training in San Antonio. I have been told that when she gets done she will fly to CA, where they have said I can come too. However I am really confused on the housing and moving information. Does anyone have any clue on how long from the time she gets out there till I can come? Its very hard being away from her and not hearing her voice. I basically sleep with her shirt on her pillow. Thats even if I sleep.
    But what about moving expenses? What is the ruling with this? I plan on having me and my dad drive from Ohio to CA on a weekend and then her recruiter said they will pay me back. I dont really care about that. I just need information. I hate being left in the dark!. Any and all information that you guys can give me would be great.
  2. Senior Member
    Hello and welcome!
    I haven't done a move yet with my guy but I just wanted to welcome you here!
  3. Senior Member
    If the military allows you to officially join her, they will pay to move you and all of your and your wife's stuff to her new location. They will send packers to pack up everything and move it, or you can do it on your own and they will reimburse you for the expenses. (There are rules and procedures for doing it on your own.)

Again, assuming the military officially allows you to go to CA (which depends primarily on how long she will be there, but it sounds like you've been told she would qualify to have you join her), you could move there immediately. It can take a week or so to set up the move if you don't do it yourself (or perhaps more in the summer, which is the busy move season), but there is no waiting period other than how long it takes to get the move done.

Go to the Military Moves and Relocation section of this board (which is where you posted this thread) and just start reading threads and you can find a lot of great information.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Montavon6 View Post
    Hello! I am new. I have been told by friends and family members to sign on to a support group. My wife is currently in Air Force Basic Training in San Antonio. I have been told that when she gets done she will fly to CA, where they have said I can come too. However I am really confused on the housing and moving information. Does anyone have any clue on how long from the time she gets out there till I can come? Its very hard being away from her and not hearing her voice. I basically sleep with her shirt on her pillow. Thats even if I sleep.
    But what about moving expenses? What is the ruling with this? I plan on having me and my dad drive from Ohio to CA on a weekend and then her recruiter said they will pay me back. I dont really care about that. I just need information. I hate being left in the dark!. Any and all information that you guys can give me would be great.
    So, when she is done with basic she will go to tech school. Where that is depends on her career field. After tech school she'll get her first assignment but she won't know where that is until she is close to the end of tech school.

IF her tech school is long enough they will grant permission for her dependents to move to her tech school. And than of course providing her first assignment isn't a remote or an overseas base where you don't pass for command sponsorship, you will be allowed to move to that base with her. The military WILL pay to move her household stuff from her hor (home of record which is where she enlisted) to her first assignment location. They will pay an allotted amount (based on her rank and having dependents and some other factors) but it is to her not you and if you go over that amount than that is out of pocket.