Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: First PCS

1. Senior Member

First PCS

Advertisements
    So husband just got his orders. We were surprised as we didn't think he'd get them til March. But he got Fort Bliss, TX. We were kind of hoping for overseas, but regardless it's a new experience and we are excited. I'm ecstatic about the heat! (Not kidding) I've heard the spiders are terrible NOT looking forward to that in the slightest.
    Who else is there?! Who can I meet?!
    Any advice, heads up, tips, etc. for a first time PCS-er? Any helpful words are welcome!
  2. Senior Member
    Df is there! , not for much longer though!!!
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  3. Senior Member
    Never been to Texas but I have a cousin there. Hope everything goes smoothly!
    I don't know about spiders though, eeeeeew! I found that wearing house slippers helps me... For example in Hawaii there are a lot of roaches. And whenever I see one I take a slipper off and slap that mofo before it has a chance to get close.

Good luck with the move!
  4. Regular Member
    A few tips for the packing up part....put all your silverware in plastic ziplock....makes it easier to put them away instead of 1 by 1 when some movers just dump that drawer. Take a photo of all serial numbers on tv's and things. Take photos and count any china/silver. Hand carry all important documents, like birth certs, SSC.... Any clothes like winter or vice versa you have extra luggage pack prior to the movers or things you don't want them to touch like your "personal" items that aren't being packed in your luggage for the car. Hand carry any good jewelry or just anything very valuable.

Thats what I have now..I know there is more but I can't think of anything else.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by irish85 View Post
    Df is there! , not for much longer though!!!
    I'm guessing that means you'll be together soon?!

Quote Originally Posted by tofuface View Post
    Never been to Texas but I have a cousin there. Hope everything goes smoothly!
    I don't know about spiders though, eeeeeew! I found that wearing house slippers helps me... For example in Hawaii there are a lot of roaches. And whenever I see one I take a slipper off and slap that mofo before it has a chance to get close.

Good luck with the move!
    That's a good idea! A friend who is in the guard told me that the spiders are huge so I'll definitely have to try that trick

Quote Originally Posted by duckbutt View Post
    A few tips for the packing up part....put all your silverware in plastic ziplock....makes it easier to put them away instead of 1 by 1 when some movers just dump that drawer. Take a photo of all serial numbers on tv's and things. Take photos and count any china/silver. Hand carry all important documents, like birth certs, SSC.... Any clothes like winter or vice versa you have extra luggage pack prior to the movers or things you don't want them to touch like your "personal" items that aren't being packed in your luggage for the car. Hand carry any good jewelry or just anything very valuable.

Thats what I have now..I know there is more but I can't think of anything else.
    Thank youuu! I will definitely keep all that in mind
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by caljmw649 View Post
    I'm guessing that means you'll be together soon?!

That's a good idea! A friend who is in the guard told me that the spiders are huge so I'll definitely have to try that trick

Thank youuu! I will definitely keep all that in mind
    and he's going through the medboard process right now.
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  7. Senior Member
    I'm at Bliss! We've been here almost a year now. I LOVE the heat too. I'm from northern IL originally and was so tired of the snow so I was ready for a place like Bliss. We actually love it here, I know a lot of people complain because it's kinda in the middle of nowhere but it hasn't bothered us yet. I hope you like Mexican food and margaritas! The PX is pretty unique. Lots of eating, restaurants, shopping, and a really nice movie theater on post. They have events down there all the time. You can Google Freedom Crossing to see details.

I know a neighbor did mention once seeing a black widow in her garage but overall I haven't had any bug issues. I do roll my windows up on my car in the garage after hearing that though! It's the spurs in the backyard you really have to worry about. Step on one of those and it feels like it hit bone!
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I've got lots of family in/from El Paso! My aunt loooooves geocaching there if you are into that kinda thing!
  9. Senior Member
    I use a zillion large, XL, and giant Ziplock bags. I like to bag everything in a drawer (especially in the kitchen) so it all stays together. I also bag up some of my clothes in the drawers, like my underwear drawer and sock drawer. I tend to us Space Bags for sweaters and linens, but that's mostly because all or moves lately have been OCONUS so stuff was going to be boxed for a long time. I don't want to rewash it all, but it can often get dusty and covered in box dust.

Remember that the movers work for you, so you can and should ask them to do do things differently if you aren't happy. They might fuss, but it is their job. Read the inventory before you sign off, and make sure you keep your copies. Carry all valuables with you.

Good luck!
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by irish85 View Post
    and he's going through the medboard process right now.
    Woot Woot! Glad you'll be together soon! The medboard process sounds like lots of fun

Quote Originally Posted by she_lurks View Post
    I'm at Bliss! We've been here almost a year now. I LOVE the heat too. I'm from northern IL originally and was so tired of the snow so I was ready for a place like Bliss. We actually love it here, I know a lot of people complain because it's kinda in the middle of nowhere but it hasn't bothered us yet. I hope you like Mexican food and margaritas! The PX is pretty unique. Lots of eating, restaurants, shopping, and a really nice movie theater on post. They have events down there all the time. You can Google Freedom Crossing to see details.

I know a neighbor did mention once seeing a black widow in her garage but overall I haven't had any bug issues. I do roll my windows up on my car in the garage after hearing that though! It's the spurs in the backyard you really have to worry about. Step on one of those and it feels like it hit bone!
    I'm guessing you are living on base? We are hoping to find a house off base so we can take our dog. He's a pit and banned on base and we don't want to leave him behind with family as he is a lot to handle. My friend told me to carry perfume with me as the spiders hate that I said I would just carry matches with me, hahaha. I'm so used to living in the middle of nowhere it really won't bother me! I'm tired of snow and cold and just want some sun, dammit! (can you tell I won't miss the winter weather?!)

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I use a zillion large, XL, and giant Ziplock bags. I like to bag everything in a drawer (especially in the kitchen) so it all stays together. I also bag up some of my clothes in the drawers, like my underwear drawer and sock drawer. I tend to us Space Bags for sweaters and linens, but that's mostly because all or moves lately have been OCONUS so stuff was going to be boxed for a long time. I don't want to rewash it all, but it can often get dusty and covered in box dust.

Remember that the movers work for you, so you can and should ask them to do do things differently if you aren't happy. They might fuss, but it is their job. Read the inventory before you sign off, and make sure you keep your copies. Carry all valuables with you.

Good luck!
    The ziploc bags is a good idea! Definitely will carry all valuables with me!

Quote Originally Posted by *Emma* View Post
    I've got lots of family in/from El Paso! My aunt loooooves geocaching there if you are into that kinda thing!
    Not gonna lie, had to google geocaching. But that looks like fun!