Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Possible PCS to Germany from Hawaii!? HELP!!

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Big Grin Possible PCS to Germany from Hawaii!? HELP!!

Advertisements
    We are re-enlisting and Germany is an available option for our family. We have 2 dogs and 1 EFMP child. If anyone has any information on shipping pets to Germany from Hawaii and information on which locations are best for children that are EFMP, as well as any other general information that'll be useful to help us decide what to do, it would be extremely appreciated! We have been stationed in Hawaii for almost 3 years now and really would love to continue our traveling journey, but want to know what we'd be getting ourselves into with 3 kids and 2 dogs lol Thanks!!
  2. Senior Member
    What base(s) are an option? I'd say Ramstein is probably best for EFMP based on the fact that it is huge and has more resources, and is near a military hospital. But I don't know what bases are more or less likely to allow an EFM child, which is probably the biggest issue.

And what condition does your child have? Bases seem to be really cracking down on medical clearances, so depending on the condition, there is a very good chance the child wouldn't be approved for Germany. You probably want to dig in to that a bit before trying for Germany, because while they try to change orders if that happens, it isn't always possible and then you end up being separated for 2-3 years. (It is essentially impossible to live in Germany without command sponsorship.)

We didn't bring dog to Germany, but know many people who did and they all said it was easier than both Japan and Hawaii. I believe there is no quarantine required, but don't quote me on that. Issues with heat embargo in the summer can arise. But most PCSes there are on the Patriot Express (military flight out of Baltimore). It's required (space permitting, which there isn't always, especially during summer) for every base (unless it has changed) except Stuttgart. (And with Stuttgart, you can still opt for the PE, but then you have the long drive from Ramstein.)That means it is easier and cheaper to ship the dogs, but you have to fight to get a limited pet spot. We saw several families having to travel separatedly because there wasn't a pet spot available on the PE before the required report date, so the service member had to go alone and then the family and pets followed when they could get a pet spot. That's not super common, but can be an issue, especially in high PCS season.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Senior Member
    We didnt have to quarantine our dog or cat when coming here. Just needed to find a boarding facility
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    TriggerHappy, How long did your pets need to be boarded for??
    Last edited by Crissi; 02-09-2016 at 08:34 PM. Reason: name change
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    What base(s) are an option? I'd say Ramstein is probably best for EFMP based on the fact that it is huge and has more resources, and is near a military hospital. But I don't know what bases are more or less likely to allow an EFM child, which is probably the biggest issue.

And what condition does your child have? Bases seem to be really cracking down on medical clearances, so depending on the condition, there is a very good chance the child wouldn't be approved for Germany. You probably want to dig in to that a bit before trying for Germany, because while they try to change orders if that happens, it isn't always possible and then you end up being separated for 2-3 years. (It is essentially impossible to live in Germany without command sponsorship.)

We didn't bring dog to Germany, but know many people who did and they all said it was easier than both Japan and Hawaii. I believe there is no quarantine required, but don't quote me on that. Issues with heat embargo in the summer can arise. But most PCSes there are on the Patriot Express (military flight out of Baltimore). It's required (space permitting, which there isn't always, especially during summer) for every base (unless it has changed) except Stuttgart. (And with Stuttgart, you can still opt for the PE, but then you have the long drive from Ramstein.)That means it is easier and cheaper to ship the dogs, but you have to fight to get a limited pet spot. We saw several families having to travel separatedly because there wasn't a pet spot available on the PE before the required report date, so the service member had to go alone and then the family and pets followed when they could get a pet spot. That's not super common, but can be an issue, especially in high PCS season.
    Our son has asthma (not severe), autism (mild), and ADHD (mild)... all is being well controlled with medication and monthly therapy (usually to just regulate the medications). As for location, we are not sure to where they are going to put us. We told retention that we wanted to try for Germany and asked if there was no spots for my EFMP son, what would happen. They told us that they would make sure it was countered or switched to another Europe installation that could accommodate us. As for PCS time frame, we will be leaving Hawaii some time between December 2016 and February 2017 and will be taking leave prior to shipping out so we can do what we need to when we need to and how we need to without too much hassle (fingers crossed).
  6. Senior Member
    I want to say a week or two. We immediately found a house to rent on our 2nd day of house hunting since we opted out of not getting an on base apartment.

Ramstein would be your best shot. Also the medical care in Landstuhl isnt so bad either (I am not entirely sure if children medical care is zoned to Landstuhl or if they get it over in Ramstein). Reason why im not sure is because pregnancy related appointments are zoned/transferred exclusively to Landstuhl but for general health you go to Ramstein (its weird). But honestly you can get all of your medical care in Landstuhl as thats the biggest main hospital.

Edit: Landstuhl is like 10 minutes from Ram.

Edit 2: There is no on base boarding facility, you have to board off base for your pets, fyi.
  7. Senior Member
    I personally know someone who was denied for overseas because of childhood asthma, even though the child in question hadn't have any asthma in 5+ years. I'm not saying you won't get approved, but I think it's something for which you need to be prepared.

The fact that your son is in monthly therapy makes me think there's actually a decent chance of denial. They really, really don't like to send people that they know will need regular care for anything, because it is a guaranteed commitment to use up the limited resources. This is especially true with mental health stuff as it's difficult or impossible to do that on the economy, due to the language barriers. Once they send you, they are obligated to get you the care, so they tend to err on the side of being very, very conservative.

It can't hurt to try, of course, and I hope it works out for you as Europe is awesome. But often people assume that just because conditions are minor and controlled, there will be no issue, when that isn't at all the case.
  8. Junior Member
    As much as people continue to say that it is almost impossible for those on EFMP to be approved clearance for Germany, I have met a multitude of people who have recently moved to the Ramstein area who are EFMP. Approvals have included those with asthma and mental issues (specifically medicated depression which surprised me). While I realize that there are many others that may have been denied, it is still possible to get clearance

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamzyn View Post
    As much as people continue to say that it is almost impossible for those on EFMP to be approved clearance for Germany, I have met a multitude of people who have recently moved to the Ramstein area who are EFMP. Approvals have included those with asthma and mental issues (specifically medicated depression which surprised me). While I realize that there are many others that may have been denied, it is still possible to get clearance
    Thank you! I sincerely appreciate a positive response! I have recently discovered a lot of people that are EFMP that are currently stationed over there or are recently accepted to go over there. Whats the worst that can happen right? They deny us and we find another duty station to pick? lol I do however hope we are able to get over there because it would be an awesome experience for my family! Again, thank you!
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamzyn View Post
    Definitely not impossible As I said in my post, I'm not saying they won't get approved, just that it is a possibility they need to be aware of. Some people aren't and then they are crushed when a rejection comes. Hopefully OP and her family sail through the screen and it's not an issue. Plenty of people do make it over even as part of EFMP. I just wanted to make sure she was prepared for *all* possibilities, and that she understood the program, because so many people thing that minor issues which are controlled couldn't possible be an issue.

OP, I hope it works out. Germany was such an awesome experience for us!