Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Moving to Alaska

  1. Old Newbie
    rebekah193's Avatar
    rebekah193 is offline
    Old Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    23
    #1

    Moving to Alaska

    Advertisements
    Hi. So we are going to be moving to Alaska in April. I was wondering if anyone has moved there. If you did, did you move yourself or have the military move you? If you moved yourself was it difficult and what do you do with the Uhaul when you get there if you are stuck in a hotel for a while?
    Thank you for any help! This is definitely a new experience for us.
  2. Senior Member
    Southern-queen's Avatar
    Southern-queen is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    35,924
    #2
    I lived there back 04-07. Military moved us and we flew up. Moved back to the lower 48 and again military moved us but we took the ferry.

    Most likely you will be in TLF or a hotel for a while so you need to call and book a space now.
  3. Old Newbie
    rebekah193's Avatar
    rebekah193 is offline
    Old Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    23
    #3
    Thanks! I am going to book a hotel as soon as we figure out the dates of when we get there.
    I know a lot of people live on post but are there good options with living off post? When we were looking at off post everything looked really expensive.
  4. Senior Member
    Southern-queen's Avatar
    Southern-queen is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    35,924
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by rebekah193 View Post
    Thanks! I am going to book a hotel as soon as we figure out the dates of when we get there.
    I know a lot of people live on post but are there good options with living off post? When we were looking at off post everything looked really expensive.
    It is expensive. And of course on top of rent you have cost of utilities. While living there you get base pay, bah (if you live off base) and cola. What base are y'all going to?
  5. Old Newbie
    rebekah193's Avatar
    rebekah193 is offline
    Old Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    23
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    It is expensive. And of course on top of rent you have cost of utilities. While living there you get base pay, bah (if you live off base) and cola. What base are y'all going to?
    Fort Wainwright. When I've been researching a lot of people said if you live off base to find somewhere that heat is included in the rent.
  6. Senior Member
    Southern-queen's Avatar
    Southern-queen is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    35,924
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by rebekah193 View Post
    Fort Wainwright. When I've been researching a lot of people said if you live off base to find somewhere that heat is included in the rent.
    Oh....even worse (cost wise). Winters are colder. Less options for rentals etc.
  7. Old Newbie
    rebekah193's Avatar
    rebekah193 is offline
    Old Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    23
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    Oh....even worse (cost wise). Winters are colder. Less options for rentals etc.
    I'm starting to notice that. I've been looking to see what they have for off post housing because I've heard its a longg wait for on post housing. The apartments, at least the ones I've found, are small but expensive. And with the BAH we would be getting I don't think it would be worth it for off post at least with just what I have found. But I don't know anything about Alaska.
  8. Senior Member
    Southern-queen's Avatar
    Southern-queen is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    35,924
    #8
    Honestly....in the Fairbanks area, I would want to live on base since for the most part utilities are covered. I don't know how housing works with electric. We lived on base at Elmendorf for a couple years and than off base in Anchorage for a couple. I have lots of friends up here and most live off base but again in the Anchorage area. I don't know a lot about Fairbanks. Other than summers are nice, winters are cold and it is expensive and small(er).
  9. Old Newbie
    rebekah193's Avatar
    rebekah193 is offline
    Old Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    23
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    Honestly....in the Fairbanks area, I would want to live on base since for the most part utilities are covered. I don't know how housing works with electric. We lived on base at Elmendorf for a couple years and than off base in Anchorage for a couple. I have lots of friends up here and most live off base but again in the Anchorage area. I don't know a lot about Fairbanks. Other than summers are nice, winters are cold and it is expensive and small(er).
    Thank you for the advice! We get there in April so we're hoping it'll be at least a little warm, we are both from the south so we're definently not used to it being as cold as it gets there. My husband basically only has like one pair of jeans haha so we have to get him so warmer clothers
  10. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.
    Phoenixx.'s Avatar
    Phoenixx. is offline
    Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    2,073

    #10
    I live in Fairbanks right now. Id recommend living on post. Its worth it. The houses are for the most part pretty large and nice. They are updating housing now. We live off post and regret it.



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •