Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Towing a second car?

1. Champagne Supernova
    Champagne Supernova

Towing a second car?

Advertisements
    Does anyone know the "rules" on this? DH just got a new car and mine is almost paid off. I have $500 left

We were planning on selling my car before we left because it needs some work done (long story) and im not sure itd make the drive to San Diego. Also, we wanted to be able to drive in one car together since it's such a long drive. So now, we're toying with the idea of towing the car with us. But Im not sure if DHs car could handle it, or what laws are on that. He has a Cadillac SRX (its a crossover), and my car is an 06 altima.

Do you think this is possible? I really hate to give my car up, but Im not sure what other options we have.
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    2500 lb tow limit for the cadi.
    Altima weighs over 3. You'll tear up the cadis motor, destroy the brakes, etc.
    So no, you don't want to tow it with that.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    One of you can also fly back and drive it, or find a friend to drive it for you.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    2500 lb tow limit for the cadi.
    Altima weighs over 3. You'll tear up the cadis motor, destroy the brakes, etc.
    So no, you don't want to tow it with that.
    yes. I wouldn't tow it. I would drive it.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  5. Senior Member
    You could ship it, but that's pretty expensive.

I'd just drive it. DH and I have done two coast-to-coast PCS and we drove separate cars both times. My dad, someone who loves road trips, volunteered to make the drive with us both times so that made things a whole lot easier. Do you have a friend or family member who could join you for the trip to keep you company and to help with some of the driving? Just an idea.

6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Where are you coming from?
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Where are you coming from?
    She's coming from Florida.

8. Senior Member
    I would just sell it, and buy something comparable (so you would break even financially) when you get to SD. I know people rationalize all sorts of other decisions, but financially, that makes the most sense, and it is also logistically the easiest. It sounds like towing isn't an option (and it isn't exactly cheap anyway, once you figure in gas and everything else), and it would be crazy to pay to ship a car that is so questionable that you don't think it can make a cross-country drive. So sell it now, and then use the money to buy a comparable 2006 Altima (or similar) and you will be out zero dollars, you won't have to deal with any of the headaches of shipping or towing, and you can drive together with DH.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I would just sell it, and buy something comparable (so you would break even financially) when you get to SD. I know people rationalize all sorts of other decisions, but financially, that makes the most sense, and it is also logistically the easiest. It sounds like towing isn't an option (and it isn't exactly cheap anyway, once you figure in gas and everything else), and it would be crazy to pay to ship a car that is so questionable that you don't think it can make a cross-country drive. So sell it now, and then use the money to buy a comparable 2006 Altima (or similar) and you will be out zero dollars, you won't have to deal with any of the headaches of shipping or towing, and you can drive together with DH.

Plus, an 06 car that's that questionable is harder to get rid of in California, there are rules about passing smog checks and stuff before you sell.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  10. Champagne Supernova
    Champagne Supernova
    Thanks for all the input guys. I really appreciate it.

Sounds like I'm going to have to sell it before we go.

I'm almost tempted to drive it but if it doesn't make it then we're really screwed. I'm approved for a loan if I wanted to get a car now but I feel like that's asking for trouble right before we move. I don't want it to hurt our chances for getting a place and I also don't want to put all those miles on a newer car.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast