Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Moving to Colorado

1. Senior Member

Moving to Colorado

Advertisements
    No big deal...just moving across the country with a toddler and two cats soon.

My husband just finished his degree and gets out of the navy next month! He already got (and accepted) an awesome job offer in Denver. We're both pretty excited but also nervous about everything that is coming up.

So....any tips?

We're flying out there tomorrow to visit (just for the weekend)...check out the area and possibly house hunt. He has an aunt who lives out there and LOVES it.

One thing we're a little confused on is how the last PCS will work. I know when he gets out he's entitled to one last move where they'll move us back to his home of record or equal distance. Since we're moving a lot further than his home of record...I know we'd pay the difference. How does that work though? Its kinda difficult to figure out who to ask because he's not technically assigned to a base right now he's in a government office...so not sure who the moving people are that we'd ask.

...and just because I've been gone for a while...here's a cute picture of my tiny human.
  2. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    You'll love it!

life's a party, rock your body
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enthused Meerkat View Post
    No big deal...just moving across the country with a toddler and two cats soon.

My husband just finished his degree and gets out of the navy next month! He already got (and accepted) an awesome job offer in Denver. We're both pretty excited but also nervous about everything that is coming up.

So....any tips?

We're flying out there tomorrow to visit (just for the weekend)...check out the area and possibly house hunt. He has an aunt who lives out there and LOVES it.

One thing we're a little confused on is how the last PCS will work. I know when he gets out he's entitled to one last move where they'll move us back to his home of record or equal distance. Since we're moving a lot further than his home of record...I know we'd pay the difference. How does that work though? Its kinda difficult to figure out who to ask because he's not technically assigned to a base right now he's in a government office...so not sure who the moving people are that we'd ask.

...and just because I've been gone for a while...here's a cute picture of my tiny human.
    They will figure out the distance from where you are to where his HOR is. THey will figure out the amount for that distance. If you do a dity and get a payment in advance that might cover the cost but don't count on it. But the main thing is, is that (based on how it worked for us about 1.5 yrs ago) you keep all your receipts and send them to his final base and they will deposit the money after doing whatever it is they do. Ummmmm is there a base for where you are living (sorry just saw he isn't assigned to a base)?
  4. Talk Whovian To Me.
    Talk Whovian To Me.

YOU'RE MOVING?! Noooooo!
  5. Senior Member
    Hope you'll enjoy your time there!
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenjamin View Post
    You'll love it!
    It's beautiful here!!

Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    They will figure out the distance from where you are to where his HOR is. THey will figure out the amount for that distance. If you do a dity and get a payment in advance that might cover the cost but don't count on it. But the main thing is, is that (based on how it worked for us about 1.5 yrs ago) you keep all your receipts and send them to his final base and they will deposit the money after doing whatever it is they do. Ummmmm is there a base for where you are living (sorry just saw he isn't assigned to a base)?
    He's at the Office of Naval Intelligence now in DC...so he's going to try to contact the moving office (or whatever it's called?) on Andrews to see if they can help.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
    YOU'RE MOVING?! Noooooo!
    Not sure of a date yet...still waiting on the company to process everything and provide it.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enthused Meerkat View Post
    It's beautiful here!!

He's at the Office of Naval Intelligence now in DC...so he's going to try to contact the moving office (or whatever it's called?) on Andrews to see if they can help.

Not sure of a date yet...still waiting on the company to process everything and provide it.

Perfect.....exactly who he should contact. The office is TMO (transportation/mobility office). They will be able to give your husband all the info he needs, an approx amount he will be paid, who he will need to send all his receipts and paperwork to once y'all are in Colorado etc.

Good luck
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

My sister lives in ft collins. She loves colorado!
  9. Senior Member
    His new job isn't helping to pay for your relocation at all? I'd maybe check on that. DH's job out of the Navy paid for our HHG, gave us money for misc moving expenses, and paid for our new house closing costs and inspections under the stipulation that he is obligated to stay with the company for 1 year or pay back a prorated portion if he quits before then.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by z32chick View Post
    His new job isn't helping to pay for your relocation at all? I'd maybe check on that. DH's job out of the Navy paid for our HHG, gave us money for misc moving expenses, and paid for our new house closing costs and inspections under the stipulation that he is obligated to stay with the company for 1 year or pay back a prorated portion if he quits before then.
    They offer a little relocation allowance, but not nearly enough to cover everything based on the quotes we've gotten for various moving expenses.