Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filing a claim for missing/damaged goods...

1. Regular Member

Duh Filing a claim for missing/damaged goods...

Advertisements
    Hey guys! Hoping you can help me out with this!
    We just did our second PCS but this time we had the Navy move us! Everything was ALMOST perfect until we realized that our dryer no longer works and that we have a missing box of all out kitchen baking-ware and pans...

I called the moving company to let them know they forgot the papaerwork they are susposed to leave and they said that if i have to file anything, i do it online. But she couldn't give me any more info on where online this happens!

Hoping you can help! Thanks!
  2. Senior Member
    Yeah, there is a military site you need to file on. Let me ask this though. What paperwork did they forget to leave? Do you have your copies of the numbers assigned to each item or box? Did you mark off each box/item as it came off the truck?

I believe the site you need to file on is Move.mil or something like that. But you will need all your documents to prove your claim.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    This is our experience in the Air Force.

We would get moving paperwork. As they are bringing the boxes in, Either my husband or I, would be checking off the boxes as they came in. That was our responsibility. It would be checked off what we had when they packed it. If something was missing, we would know then. On that paperwork, it would have the instructions on how to claim broken items.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  4. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    Yeah, there is a military site you need to file on. Let me ask this though. What paperwork did they forget to leave? Do you have your copies of the numbers assigned to each item or box? Did you mark off each box/item as it came off the truck?

I believe the site you need to file on is Move.mil or something like that. But you will need all your documents to prove your claim.

We did have that paperwork but they took THAT paperwork. We had no chance to check boxes because they literally came in and rushed and then left. :/
  5. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DakotaCowgirl View Post
    This is our experience in the Air Force.

We would get moving paperwork. As they are bringing the boxes in, Either my husband or I, would be checking off the boxes as they came in. That was our responsibility. It would be checked off what we had when they packed it. If something was missing, we would know then. On that paperwork, it would have the instructions on how to claim broken items.
    It was just I on this move and had i known this would have been an issue, then i totally would have done that. However, they came in, asked me where things go and then i signed a paper saying that they delivered. He then told me that "Heres your copy" and after they left, i realized that he had taken my copy. I called to moving company and they told me that they could email me one but now they wont return my phone calls or anything
  6. Senior Member
    Unfortunately, that paper you signed said that you were confirming they delivered everything that was listed. With your signature on it, it's difficult to go back and say that you didn't actually get everything. Especially because you are saying it is an entire box missing.

You can still try to make the claim, but it may be tough. You don't need the paperwork from the movers to do it. Just go to the military website and fill out the information. You'll need to box.inventory number for each damaged item, plus some other info (year purchase, amount purchased for, replacement cost, etc.)
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  7. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Unfortunately, that paper you signed said that you were confirming they delivered everything that was listed. With your signature on it, it's difficult to go back and say that you didn't actually get everything. Especially because you are saying it is an entire box missing.

You can still try to make the claim, but it may be tough. You don't need the paperwork from the movers to do it. Just go to the military website and fill out the information. You'll need to box.inventory number for each damaged item, plus some other info (year purchase, amount purchased for, replacement cost, etc.)
    Boo!!! I was scared this was the case! Well at least we can work on things that were damaged. Most of the stuff thats missing is kitchen stuff... Expensive but replaceable.

Thanks everyone for your help
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chairman_meow View Post
    We did have that paperwork but they took THAT paperwork. We had no chance to check boxes because they literally came in and rushed and then left. :/
    I am going to say than you might (not saying for sure) be up a creek. It is your responsibility to ensure you are able to check to make sure you get all your goods. Even if it means going inside and calling TMO and asking for someone to come out and talk to them IF they don't slow down when you ask.

Also did they not leave anything with you at all paperwork wise?
  9. Senior Member
    For future reference, DH and I always station one person at the door. That person literally sits at the door and does nothing other than make the movers read off every box number as they come, and then he checks each one off on the inventory list, and tell the packers where to put stuff (which room). If only one of us is around, then that's all that gets done. When we are both there, he usually does that while I scramble to unpack as much as possible, but the door duty is the most important. And it is easy, no matter how fast the movers are going, because you basically hold them up at the door while they read off numbers. I know if doesn't help you now, for next time, we've found that works really well.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    I am going to say than you might (not saying for sure) be up a creek. It is your responsibility to ensure you are able to check to make sure you get all your goods. Even if it means going inside and calling TMO and asking for someone to come out and talk to them IF they don't slow down when you ask.

Also did they not leave anything with you at all paperwork wise?
    Nope. Nadda. No paperwork at all! I immediatly called the company to call to driver but he wouldn't turn around. Apparently it was a "pain" to get on and off the island we are on...

I do think that i am taking this loss.. I wish this would have been explained better while moving But it's okay, nothing that can't be replaced..

Thank you!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast