Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delaying household goods/me movement as part of PCS?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Delaying household goods/me movement as part of PCS?

Advertisements
    Hello!

My husband received unexpected PCS orders on Friday. He is required to report by February 8th to his new duty station. He will then be at several schools TDY until May and deploy shortly thereafter for 6-7 months (sometime around May or June).

We own the home we live in at our current duty station, and since he will effectively report to the new one and then be gone until the end of this year, we are interested in delaying the actual move. Meaning I'd stay in our current home and then we would have the Army move us when he returns from deployment during his post-deployment block leave (this would likely be around the holidays at the end of this year).

Does anyone know if this is possible? I've read conflicting information, and if we have to rent out our home and move in less than two weeks - I want to know ASAP! Our transportation offices are closed today as we had a giant snowstorm over the weekend! (Great timing, right?)

I appreciate any experiences shared or information in advance, and look forward to joining this community! I wasn't aware this existed!
  2. Senior Member
    Sure it is possible, though you will need to check very carefully about the deadlines for PCS to see if there is a requirement for how long after he checks in, how how long before the end of the orders. Also, he will get BAH at the rate for his new location starting the day he checks in since it is your choice to stay behind, so keep that in mind when considering finances. Also, while it sounds like he'll be deployed or traveling most of the time, for the time he's at the new duty station he potentially will have to pay for a barracks room or wherever he lives.

Certainly you don't have to rent our your home and move in two weeks. Even if you can't stay until December, you can certainly take a few weeks to figure everything out, get your house ready to rent, etc. As I said, I believe their are deadlines for how long before the end of orders they will pay for a PCS, and maybe for how long after they start, but it definitely doesn't have to happen immediately.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    As I said, I believe their are deadlines for how long before the end of orders they will pay for a PCS, and maybe for how long after they start, but it definitely doesn't have to happen immediately.
    The deadline per the JTR is the next set of PCS orders. But keep in mind it will be more difficult to process the per diem and travel expenses associated with the move.
  4. Senior Member
    Is that deadline the date when orders are issued, or when they are executed?
  5. Senior Member
    Issued. Once you are issued new PCS orders, you are no longer authorized a HHG move to your current location.
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    The deadline per the JTR is the next set of PCS orders. But keep in mind it will be more difficult to process the per diem and travel expenses associated with the move.
    Thanks so much for the info. We still haven't been able to get a clear answer from the TMO, so this is very helpful!

The orders are two years, beginning this February - so my guess would be that if the move guidelines are based on there being at least one year remaining on the orders at the destination, we'd be clear to move in December or early January?

We will definitely - at whichever point - do the full move as opposed to a DIY or partial DIY move.

This is an extremely stressful time as all was unexpected and effectively we will spend the entire rest of this year apart... but I know so many have been in our shoes!
  7. Senior Member
    I don't know if you have (older) kids. But if I were in your shoes I would wait til the end of the school year and move than. Yes you will be moving when he might be gone but at least if the kids are school age you are getting there in the summer and they can make friends before school starts.
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    I don't know if you have (older) kids. But if I were in your shoes I would wait til the end of the school year and move than. Yes you will be moving when he might be gone but at least if the kids are school age you are getting there in the summer and they can make friends before school starts.
    All - just wanted to update as I've spoken with a TMO staff member at our current base. She suggested my husband go to the orders office and request an amendment that reads something like this: "Dependent will be relocated to Fort ___ from Fort ___ after December 1, 2016 to join service member."

He's going to drop by the orders office this afternoon and look into this, so I'll update the thread then as hopefully this helps us out and is helpful to others if we're successful! She noted that she wouldn't advise making the orders unaccompanied and then changing them to accompanied as that can get very complicated. She stated that IF we can get that simple amendment in print, the transportation office will do whatever we want after that date (December 1 for example).

To answer your question, Southern Queen - we don't have kids at this point, so luckily that's not a factor. If I absolutely have to move without his help and be there alone through the deployment, I'll do it - but he's dead set against it. Haha. I'm the tougher one, I think.
  9. Senior Member
    That seems like a bad idea, unless it is absolutely necessary. If what Dekeoboe posted is accurate (and she's generally spot on with JTR stuff), if isn't necessary as this is something you are always allowed to do. If you amend the orders, what happens if you list your house for sale October 1 and is sells with a 14 day escrow on Oct. 2? What if he gets back from deployment early, or it gets canceled entirely? Of you have the orders changed to say that, it seems like you would be locking yourself in, and there would be no upside, because it sounds like you are allowed to move in December anyway, unless he gets PCS orders before then.

Read the JTR yourself. It is a bitch, and can be very time consuming, but it is the best way. You can't rely on TMO or whomever to give you the right answer, because they don't always know or understand every little nuance that applies to every situation. Even if they tell you something, if they are wrong, you have no recourse because the JTR is the final word. So read it, and see what is says about when dependents can move, and then bring that paragraph humber and wording in to TMO and see what they have to say.
  10. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    I was going to say he should talk to whomever issues the orders because the orders do need to state any stipulations to you going when you are supposed to go. They expect you to go to base when he does, and if you deviate from that it should be stated in the orders.

For my husbands last assignment, we chose to stay home (geobach), the AF expected us to be there with him within 90 days. He had to go down to MPF and let them know we would not be following, and they updated his orders to state dependents would not be following.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast