Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Might be moving overseas, cars?

1. Regular Member

Might be moving overseas, cars?

Advertisements
    We are looking at orders, and most of what is being offered is overseas. We have put in for Japan and Sicily, now we wait and see if we get either. My question is what did you all do with your cars? Did you ship one? I am a wee bit worried about bringing any of ours to Sicily after reading a blog from a Navy wife stationed there and that American cars tend to get stuck in the tiny roads. We have a big pick up truck, Ford Flex and a Subaru.
  2. Senior Member
    The army paid to send one of our cars to germany, we left the other one with my mother. Pick up trucks are not ideal for Europe, gas is very expensive and even on post it is rationed. And yes, roads are small. We had close calls even with my husband's camero.

you can't take american cars to Japan.

3. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    We brought our Subaru to Germany and it's been incredible for road trips!

life's a party, rock your body
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    The Air Force paid for one car shipped and we purchased a Euro spec on there for blending in.

It took about 3 months to get from Seattle to Germany.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  5. Senior Member
    i would sell one of my cars here, and leave one with relatives. then buy a small car there if i needed to.
  6. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

bdizzle is right… you can't bring your car to Japan. Gov't will pay to store one. In Japan, you just buy a cheap car off someone PCSing.
  7. Senior Member
    You will not ship a car to Japan. It is all but impossible. Basically, it can be done, but due to different safety standards, it costs thousands of dollars in modifications to your dar. Also, they drive on the other side of the road, in on tiny Japanese streets, you don't want to deal with left hand drive. They military (or Navy, at least) will pay to store it, but if it is a newer car, financially you are better off selling it and buying a comparable replacement when you return Stateside.

For Europe, they will pay to ship one car. Shipping a second car is on you and will probably cost $1000+. Again, financially you are better off selling. Also, I would have hated having a large car in Europe. More than a few people did and they managed, but there were always questions like, "anyone know a parking garage in Strasbourg where I can fit my mini-van", or "what route can I take to X location that has no tiny roads and is Explorer-friendly". In our small cars, we simply never had to worry about that stuff, though there were times we were still on uncomfortably tiny roads. Your large car also announces you as an American, which some people don't like for personal security reasons, especially with ISIS stepping up things in Europe. Certainly you can do it and survive just fine, but it is something you have to think about, and if you have a smaller car, that's one less thing you have to factor in to shopping and road trips. We never had to ask "can we drive/park there?".

Because they will pay to ship one car, they will not pay for storage if you don't bring them.

In both locations (IME, though I was in Germany and I don't know if it would be the same base in Japan), there were tons and tons of used cars for sale on base for fairly cheap.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    It is totally worth selling your second card! Then you can spend the money on traveling!

life's a party, rock your body