Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: PCSing to Hawaii!!

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Jump for Joy PCSing to Hawaii!!

Advertisements
    So excited about our move, but we're not sure about what school is the best for our daughter. She's 13 and will be entering high school. We should arrive in July 2016. My husband is navy and we want to live on base so our daughter can meet other military kids. We will be stationed at Pearl Harbor, and we want to know when does school start? She plays field hockey and soccer but I didn't see any schools that had a field hockey team, so do they have one. We have 2 little dogs and we've gotten all the tests needed for them, so is there anyway they won't let us take them that day, and can we take them with us to the hotel?
    Thank you for any info you give we really appreciate it!!
  2. Senior Member
  3. Senior Member
    Moanalua highschool is the best public school in the island. That's the consensus anyway.
    As for private schools, there's punahou - Obama went there. There's Iolani, one of the top for math. And mid-pacific institute, supposedly good for kids into sports.

Hope you like Hawaii! I grew up here and both me and DF love the islands.
  4. Regular Member
    I have heard that you want to stick with private or the military school.

We are looking to go to Hawaii and many of said go now since our son is only 1 and we don't have to deal with the schools.
  5. Senior Member
    No advice, but hope you have a splendid time in Hawaii!
  6. Senior Member
    School starts on August 1, 2016. I don't think that there is field hockey at the schools, but, we had elementary/middle school aged kiddos and none of our friends kiddos that were high school age were into sports.

Navy Lodging on Ford Island allows pets. We used them when PCSing to/from HI and have no complaints.

The schools will vary depending on where you will be living. If you are still in lodging at the time of enrollment, you'll need to enroll your student in the school zoned for that area. Ford Island is zoned for Radford High. All housing on Hickam is zoned for Radford High. There are no high schools on base; all middle schools and high schools are off base. If he's being stationed on JBPHH and you're wanting to live on base, Hickam Communities is the only housing that is actually ON base. Forest City is off base but is still privatized housing.

This link will be helpful for you when you arrive on island and are looking for a place to live and you're wondering what school your address is zoned for. School Locator

Here's the link for the school calendar for 2016-2017: School Calendar

Somebody else linked the quarantine page above, but there is a five-day or less program that you'll want to look into to see if it applies to your situation. If you're set to PCS and the animals have fulfilled the requirements, it may be possible to do a direct release as long as the animals arrive early enough in the day.
    Checklist for 5-day-or-less program

We PCSed from HI last year but spent a large portion of DH's career there.
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Congratulations on your move! Hawaii is awesome, you'll love being stationed here My husband is navy too, which ship are you at? We brought our dog here last year and all the paperwork was in order so we were able to get her home the same day, less than an hour after we landed. If you arrive in Honolulu before 3:30 you can get your puppies home the same day, if it's after 3:30 it's usually the next day. Let me know if you have any questions, we PCSed here twice already
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie