Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Base Housing/Tricare Dental

1. Senior Member

Base Housing/Tricare Dental

Advertisements
    I have a few questions. More about base housing then about Tricare so that's why I posted in Moves & Relocation.
    We will be PCSing in a few months and husband wants to live off base but I want to live on base. We have a large dog that can't live in an apartment so I feel as if finding a place off base would be hard. I know it can take sometime to get housing on base, but I have questions that if anyone can answer that'd be great.
    How does it work when something with the house goes wrong/breaks?(Piping, roof, things like that) Is it like landlord/tenant style? Or when something goes wrong you are responsible financially for it?
    Can you make changes to the house/yard? Like if I wanted to paint the rooms, put up a fence outside, do some gardening with flowers/vegetables/fruit; could I do that? Obviously I'd have to pay for those things.

Tricare question. I received a packet in the mail for the Metlife dental. In the packet it states that we would receive insurance cards to present at each appt. Should we be expecting dental cards? Cause I thought the military ID was our insurance card that we presented at a regular dr, eye dr, or dental office.

Thanks for the help!
  2. Regular Member
    So if you are renting it is up to the landlord to take care of the problem. So we just paid for to have some of our fence replaced and work on our kitchen sink. You report to either the company you are renting through or if its direct. We use a company to rent our house out and they have to come to us before any work is done.

As far as changes to the house you have to have it in contract. So for instance in our contract we said our renters can not paint our dinning room and kitchen but they can have any other room as long as they might have to paint it back to the original color if we don't want the new color. We also asked them not to open the windows since our house is over 100 years old and we don't want them to break due to someone else painting them shut. If can always be talked about, its weather or not it is allowed. We said they can do what ever they want to the backyard for the most part....we had a garden area already there so they could plant what they wanted in there as long as it wasn't an invasive plant.
  3. Senior Member
    1) Housing is 100% base dependent for rule, but it's just like a normal rental in our experience when it comes to maintenance, painting, etc. We can paint but it has to be painted back when you leave. You can make uard improvements but nothing extreme like cutting down trees or pulling up bushes.

2) I've never needed to show my MetLife dental card at a dentist, but some require it. Dental is not included with the military benefits 'package' to dependents and you'll have to be enrolled separately by your husband. It's very inexpensive.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  4. Senior Member
    When something breaks, they send a maintenance person out to the home at no charge to you. Something they would charge for is if your dog chewed the carpet or screen.

You have to submit alteration (painting, installing a fence) requests to housing. Some neighborhoods have restrictions on the height/type of fence you can install. You can hang pretty much anything on you walls, although some make you submit a request if you want to mount a TV.

5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    The landlord is responsible for items such as roof, appliances, etc. Now if y'all break something like a window or put holes in the walls I would imagine the landlord will fix it but charge you for it.

Changes such as paint, fencing, etc need to be in the contract and you'll possibly need prior approval for the exact color and the type of fencing and where; especially since it needs to be on their land and not someone else's which is not always easy to determine where that line is. Plus, if there is a HOA they have to submit approval to them for certain items outside as well.

Your military I.D. is your insurance card. I've never had a dental card since United Concordia and nobody ever asked for it. They just wanted to see my military I.D. anyways.
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Now if you're talking about base housing for things that break, housing will take care of it. When you move out, ime, they'll charge you out the butt for some things. Our housing just sent us a list of what certain things will cost and it boiled down to $30 per door stop, free for painting over small nail holes and general wear and tear. But if it takes them more than 2 hours to paint, they'll charge $950. Even more if it takes several hours. Carpet seems to be the big one that you could get charged for. Basically, if you do your best to return the house how they gave it to you, you should be fine.

You can paint but they want you to get it approved prior and then paint it back before you move out. Fencing, from what I was told here, if you don't have a fence you can't put one up. But that may depend on each company/base. It also seems to be the ones that don't have a fence are the units that are no pet units.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by caljmw649 View Post
    I have a few questions. More about base housing then about Tricare so that's why I posted in Moves & Relocation.
    We will be PCSing in a few months and husband wants to live off base but I want to live on base. We have a large dog that can't live in an apartment so I feel as if finding a place off base would be hard. I know it can take sometime to get housing on base, but I have questions that if anyone can answer that'd be great.
    How does it work when something with the house goes wrong/breaks?(Piping, roof, things like that) Is it like landlord/tenant style? Or when something goes wrong you are responsible financially for it?
    Can you make changes to the house/yard? Like if I wanted to paint the rooms, put up a fence outside, do some gardening with flowers/vegetables/fruit; could I do that? Obviously I'd have to pay for those things.

Tricare question. I received a packet in the mail for the Metlife dental. In the packet it states that we would receive insurance cards to present at each appt. Should we be expecting dental cards? Cause I thought the military ID was our insurance card that we presented at a regular dr, eye dr, or dental office.

Thanks for the help!

Living on base any issues with the house you need to call maintenance and they come fix it. Just like with any other rental, unless it is a need to be fixed now! emergency they schedule a time. Also, they can come in to your house if you are not there. They are suppose to give you 24 hours of course but they will come in if you are not there. You are not responsible for costs unless the damage is your fault and it was it was preventable and you tried to hide it. For example....our toilet was not flushing. No able to be plunged etc. So I called housing and the plumber came out. He asked me some basic questions about what it could be and I told him everything. I told him that I do have a toddler and to be honest he could have tried to flush something. Turns out it was roots or something from underground but he thanked me for mentioning the kid because if it had been that and I had hid it they could have charged me.

Changes to home and yard (minus planting flowers) you have to have housing approval. Painting has to be approved although they normally agree on the condition you paint back when you leave. But they still have to give approval.

Dental....you will get insurance cards last I knew. Dental is different technically than tricare because you have co-pays for most things no matter what.
  8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    agree with southern..

The only exception for us was.. never once received a card for dental (still haven't and we are retired now), and never had a copay for anything, but there hasn't been anything for us beyond normal cleanings. Orthodontia is the only cost so far, but that's not a copay.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  9. Senior Member
    Thank you all for your input! I appreciate the help
  10. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

You mentioned a large dog. You might want to find out if the new base has breed restrictions.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast