Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Movers

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Movers

Advertisements
    Anyone else have bad experience with the movers? Such as, missing items, broken items, missing boxes? We finally got our stuff from the movers after getting the run around they ended up being 3 days late and did not show up until 3 pm which took us well into the night with getting everything in the house. However, I am now down to my last few boxes and we are missing stuff. I went through the check list and every box was said to be there but I am missing kitchen items, my video camera, which was never suppose to be packed but is missing. Also, they stole money from my daughter's piggy bank. ( I blame myself for that, I forgot to take it out before they started packing her room. Really who steals from a child's piggy bank!?) Which also means it was never inventoried. Not to mention the fact that items that were broken were sentimental and irreplaceable. I am just annoyed with the whole process. Lesson learned :/
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    We got everything; but, hovered over our packers and when they loaded the truck. I think in our many years of moving, the only thing that we didn't find was a Railroad sign. It disappeared in one of the moves. Otherwise, we got through fine. Just fill out paperwork with your moving c ompany or TMO and you'll have to place a claim on it.

A friend though had all her son's Legos taken. That was it. I never did understand why that many legos; but, wow.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justagirl View Post
    Anyone else have bad experience with the movers? Such as, missing items, broken items, missing boxes? We finally got our stuff from the movers after getting the run around they ended up being 3 days late and did not show up until 3 pm which took us well into the night with getting everything in the house. However, I am now down to my last few boxes and we are missing stuff. I went through the check list and every box was said to be there but I am missing kitchen items, my video camera, which was never suppose to be packed but is missing. Also, they stole money from my daughter's piggy bank. ( I blame myself for that, I forgot to take it out before they started packing her room. Really who steals from a child's piggy bank!?) Which also means it was never inventoried. Not to mention the fact that items that were broken were sentimental and irreplaceable. I am just annoyed with the whole process. Lesson learned :/
    At stated above, you will need to fill out the claim paperwork. Keep all the broken items so you have proof and because some things the mover has the option to repair rather than replace. The missing boxes are going to be much more difficult because you signed paperwork at the time of delivery stating that all the boxes were received. Likewise with the missing money from the piggy bank. The piggy bank was delivered and unless it is really large, it would not be inventoried, just put in a larger box. Unfortunately, everything in a box is not listed on the box or inventory sheet.
  4. Senior Member
    Fill out a claim for the missing items, but it may be an uphill battle. Since the camera is not on your high value inventory sheet, they may fight that, and they will probably tell you that money isn't covered. (We forgot to pull DH's silver cuff links, inherited from his grandpa, out of the move when we gathered jewelry and they refused the claim when they disappeared because they said we weren't supposed to pack items lack that in the first place.)

Since you signed that you received all the boxes, that is going to likely be denied as well, but you can claim any damaged stuff. For future reference, either DH or I is always sitting at the front door and we make them read every item number to us as it comes in, and we check them off on at a time and then write any missing numbers on the form before signing.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. Senior Member
    Oh, and it they were 3 days past their "no later than date" you can make an inconvenience claim, but what you get varies by carrier.
  6. Champagne Supernova
    Champagne Supernova
    They lost some very sentimental items of mine. it really sucked.
  7. Senior Member
    This just makes me paranoid about our first PCS in a few months. I can say that I want to pack my own belongings, right? Cause I really don't want other people doing that.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by caljmw649 View Post
    This just makes me paranoid about our first PCS in a few months. I can say that I want to pack my own belongings, right? Cause I really don't want other people doing that.
    Yes and no. You can pack it ahead of time if you want (but it would need to be done ahead of time as they aren't going to sit around while you pack) and you'll need to tell them that so they can take it in to account with scheduling. And you'd probably have to supply your own packing materials as I don't know how you'd get them ahead of time. But the movers have the right to open anything or repack as they see fit, since they are responsible for damages caused by bad packing. Also, if you do that, you'll want to keep a specific inventory of what is in each box, and make them include that information on their inventory so you can properly claim things if needed.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by caljmw649 View Post
    Even if you pack they can still open up boxes and take what they want if they want. It's not the packing process I worry about, it's the moving process.

But, I just don't really worry about it in general. Anything precious to us (jewelry, paperwork, antiques) we take with us and everything else I just hope they don't break. There's not much else you can do short of moving yourself. Which would suck more than them breaking my stuff, IMO.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    Even if you pack they can still open up boxes and take what they want if they want. It's not the packing process I worry about, it's the moving process.

But, I just don't really worry about it in general. Anything precious to us (jewelry, paperwork, antiques) we take with us and everything else I just hope they don't break. There's not much else you can do short of moving yourself. Which would suck more than them breaking my stuff, IMO.
    This is pretty much my mindset, with the addition of taking a really good video of everything we own (including opening each drawer, etc.) so that I can prove what we owned, just in case. And I figure that even moving myself, I'd likely end up with broken stuff, too.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast