Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MCB Hawaii

1. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

MCB Hawaii

Advertisements
    We are currently in Japan, so we have geographic preference when we PCS. DH and I have decided to put West Coast as our preference. That means we will either go to Camp Pendleton, Twenty-nine Palms or Hawaii. We prefer Pendleton, but if that's not available, we think we'd rather have Twenty-nine Palms over Hawaii. What do you guys think? I know 29 Palms is the middle of nowhere, but it's CONUS, so we can just hop in the car and drive to Temecula on a weekend. My dad thinks we are crazy and Hawaii is way better.

We are burnt out on island life here in Okinawa. Is Hawaii cool, or do you get sick of it? DH is meeting with his monitor next week, so he plans on telling him our preference then.
  2. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    I've actually had a few people tell me 29 Palms isn't as bad as everyone says it is. Of course, every place is what you make of it. There are lots of things within reasonable driving distance and plenty of outdorsy type things to do (if you're into that). If it were us, I'd want 29 Palms over Hawaii. I'm not about that island life

3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries

I like Hawaii but I am already sick of island living I can't wait for the day that we can hop in our car and drive to the next state..Also, the food sucks here.. I just don't think Hawaii is all of that and a bag of tater chips like some people do
  4. Senior Member
    I looooooved Hawaii and would live there forever if I could. I don't really like that side of the island though. It's beautiful but there's not as much to do, from what I saw of it. The only thing that really bothered me about living there was how expensive and time consuming it was to fly home and you can't get certain things shipped out there unless you want to pay a million dollars to do so.

I never really missed the feeling of being able to drive to another state, but that may be because I'm from south Florida so that's never really been a thing for me to do anyway? It's a significant road trip to get to another state from where I am so that's probably just not even on my mind as a possibility. I would definitely choose Hawaii though. Sure there are inconveniences but when do you get that opportunity again?
  5. Senior Member
    Not marines so I can't say based on that aspect, but I would pick mainland over hawaii if it were me. I feel I would get too bored of Hawaii after a few months and not being able to just easily go places would bug me.
  6. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I looooooved Hawaii and would live there forever if I could. I don't really like that side of the island though. It's beautiful but there's not as much to do, from what I saw of it. The only thing that really bothered me about living there was how expensive and time consuming it was to fly home and you can't get certain things shipped out there unless you want to pay a million dollars to do so.

I never really missed the feeling of being able to drive to another state, but that may be because I'm from south Florida so that's never really been a thing for me to do anyway? It's a significant road trip to get to another state from where I am so that's probably just not even on my mind as a possibility. I would definitely choose Hawaii though. Sure there are inconveniences but when do you get that opportunity again?
    I'm already sick of this after a year in Okinawa.

This confirms that I can't do another island tour and stay sane.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by be: pistachio View Post

My husband has talked about trying to extend. I've been in Oki for 6 months and I was like hell no. I hate living on an island. Stateside it would be for me
    Double Ring Proposal 10/5/2011 made Augusta my MSOS wifey
    skp is my rockin' Cali pal
    No more ticker!!! Deployment #2 is over
  8. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

Quote Originally Posted by Starsinthesky View Post
    My husband has talked about trying to extend. I've been in Oki for 6 months and I was like hell no. I hate living on an island. Stateside it would be for me
    We've been here a year and trying to get out early!
  9. Senior Member
    I love Hawaii. DF does too. And we would retire here if we could. There's a lot of Asian people and therefore Asian foods. If you're not used to that or can't get used to it then you'd have a problem. Otherwise it's great.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by be: pistachio View Post

It's definitely not as bad as I imagine Okinawa would be. All the normal clothing stores have normal shipping, but I remember trying to order a dog crate and it was ridiculous. Also, anything from QVC. It was a very minor inconvenience. Flying home of course is a major pain, but again, i was in south Florida. It's not that bad to the west coast.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast