Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving your car cross country for PCS

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Moving your car cross country for PCS

Advertisements
    Hello there!

Completely new to this, so please bear with me

I'm a newly minted Navy wife and my husband and I are about to do our first PCS together - from Virginia to San Diego. It was a bit of a shock, because he was applying for orders for August 2016, but when he was selected the PCS date changed to February! Anyway...

I just found out that Uncle Sam will not pay for our car to be shipped to SD. I'm pretty annoyed about this, as we just bought a new car here in VA to avoid the sales tax in California - but let's just call it a hard lesson in assumptions!!

So, now we're looking at options for transport. I would like to avoid putting the mileage on our spanking new car if we can, so I guess our options are towing or paying to ship it ourselves, which is steep. We were planning on having TMO do our move, but in order to tow the car we'd need to rent a truck anyway, so maybe we should do DITY?

Or, maybe we should just suck it up and drive.

I'd welcome any advice on this. I'm a Brit, and given the entire British mainland is only 840 miles long, the thought of driving 3 times that is eye-opening by itself - and that's without the towing and truck element
  2. Moderator

I'd just drive it, personally. How long will you have owned it when you get to CA? You might have to pay a "use tax" which is super annoying, but that's CA for ya. I'd research that, just to be prepared. We have towed a vehicle halfway across the country, and it wasn't the worst thing in the world but it wasn't fun, especially crossing mountains in winter. If you drive it, you'll at least get reimbursed for fuel and per diem and whatever weight of your belongings you can cram into it. None of the options are super exciting, I know. Welcome to PCSing!
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Hehe. Thanks for the advice! Similar to what my friends are saying. I've never driven cross-country before, so we could make it an adventure...

She's literally brand new (yes - I gendered my car. Can't help it, so excited! ) - 21 miles on the clock when we drove her away. We'll have owned it for 2-3 months by the time we get there. Likely to either keep it registered in VA (where I am currently resident) for a while or try and transfer it to Ohio which is where my hubby maintains residency and owns a house.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Yeah I'd say suck it up and drive it but definitely make an adventure out of it!
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I'd drive it.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  6. Senior Member
    My car was about a year old when we PCSed from north Carolina to San Diego. We drove two cars during that PCS. It's a pretty fun road trip (I especially love the Southwest), so you can definitely make an adventure of it.

7. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by thatbritishlass View Post
    Hehe. Thanks for the advice! Similar to what my friends are saying. I've never driven cross-country before, so we could make it an adventure...

She's literally brand new (yes - I gendered my car. Can't help it, so excited! ) - 21 miles on the clock when we drove her away. We'll have owned it for 2-3 months by the time we get there. Likely to either keep it registered in VA (where I am currently resident) for a while or try and transfer it to Ohio which is where my hubby maintains residency and owns a house.
    This is what we did to avoid the ridiculous cost of registering a vehicle we'd owned under a year when we moved to California. Registered in our state of residency instead.

We've moved coast-to-coast five times now, the drive can actually be kinda fun! Good luck.
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    We looked into shipping when we moved from VA to WA last year. The cost was just too much and the cost seemed to go up after they started adding various fees. The cost to ship would have been close to or more than triple what it was to drive. So we drove and got the money for gas.....which was about $600 if I remember right. I really don't like DITYs because it is just another stressor at an already stressful time.

Ohio....that is awesome! My husband and I are from there and also own a house there.
  9. aBr
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Shipping your car cost way more than the extra mileage will cost in depreciation, especially since it's highway miles. I would just drive it.
  10. aBr
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by thatbritishlass View Post

Quote Originally Posted by BLBnJVB3 View Post
    We looked into shipping when we moved from VA to WA last year. The cost was just too much and the cost seemed to go up after they started adding various fees. The cost to ship would have been close to or more than triple what it was to drive. So we drove and got the money for gas.....which was about $600 if I remember right. I really don't like DITYs because it is just another stressor at an already stressful time.

Ohio....that is awesome! My husband and I are from there and also own a house there.
    Where are you guys from in OH? I live in Akron.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast