Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Korea back to CONUS & a DITY move... Help!

1. Regular Member

Korea back to CONUS & a DITY move... Help!

Advertisements
    Hi everyone. My DH is currently in Korea on a one-year tour. He's coming back CONUS in June and reports on the 15th. He's re-training, so we're headed to Keesler AFB for 5 full months of tech school. We'll be living on base (already confirmed we can with the housing office, it's 4 months minimum to live on base). I'm currently living in NJ with my parents (long story, was not the plan, but I'm here). We've never done a move like this, and I got some new info this morning, so I'm pretty confused about how this will all work. Bear with me here for some questions:

1. Where is TMO going to send DH when he's done in Korea? Straight to Keesler in MS, or to NJ to move to MS with me? Will I have to move down there on my own?
    2. If I have to move down there on my own, what's the soonest I could move there? I assume that for the actual move, we do need the hard orders?
    3. We've been planning to do a DITY move, but in this case I guess it will technically be a partial DITY since DH has a HHG shipment with him in Korea. Will I get per diem for the move? And if you were me, how would you go about handling the move? We don't have much right now. Literally just a mattress, a couple small appliances, some kitchen stuff, and our 2 dogs.
    4. As I said, we have very little, so we have a lot of stuff to get. We have a plan to get the essentials (minus couch & living room chairs) for our new home at Ikea & customize everything. The plan is to have everything delivered to my parents house in NJ right before the move to MS because it's only $90 flat rate, whereas in MS it would cost a whole lot more b/c there's no Ikeas down there. I was going to get a U-Haul U-box & just have the Ikea guys load everything directly into the U-Box. Is this is a bad idea in terms of the move?
    5. Housing office told me we would be assigned a house 30-45 days out from our arrival & it will be waiting for us. We do not need hard orders to be on the wait list so I'll be getting on the list at the end of this month. Would I be able to move down there as soon as DH gets hard orders?

Thanks for the help everyone. And if there's something I'm overlooking, please tell me. Like I said, this is new for us.

**UPDATE: Just talked to the township & I won't be able to get a U-box. Can't park it on the street & this is a corner house - no way to put it on the property. So I will have to hire movers & a truck. everything.
    Last edited by rocknrolla; 12-14-2015 at 01:24 PM. Reason: new info
  2. Senior Member
    [QUOTE=rocknrolla;10012138]Hi everyone. My DH is currently in Korea on a one-year tour. He's coming back CONUS in June and reports on the 15th. He's re-training, so we're headed to Keesler AFB for 5 full months of tech school. We'll be living on base (already confirmed we can with the housing office, it's 4 months minimum to live on base). I'm currently living in NJ with my parents (long story, was not the plan, but I'm here). We've never done a move like this, and I got some new info this morning, so I'm pretty confused about how this will all work. Bear with me here for some questions:

1. Where is TMO going to send DH when he's done in Korea? Straight to Keesler in MS, or to NJ to move to MS with me? Will I have to move down there on my own?
    IME, they will send him straight to the new duty station. If he takes leave in route, he *may* be able to get a plane ticket to you instead of MS, but if it costs more he'd have to pay the difference. And he'd have to get himself to MS.

2. If I have to move down there on my own, what's the soonest I could move there? I assume that for the actual move, we do need the hard orders?
    I believe if you move before the orders are issued, it won't be reimbursed, but I wouldn't swear to that.

3. We've been planning to do a DITY move, but in this case I guess it will technically be a partial DITY since DH has a HHG shipment with him in Korea. Will I get per diem for the move? And if you were me, how would you go about handling the move? We don't have much right now. Literally just a mattress, a couple small appliances, some kitchen stuff, and our 2 dogs.

Are you in NJ because you couldn't get sponsorship (and if not, was it because you failed the screen, got married after orders, or some other reason)? I'm trying to figure out if you even qualify to do a DITY (which is now actually called a PPM) from MS. Since he used his move to get to Korea, depending on the details, you guys might be on your own to get stuff to MS.

4. As I said, we have very little, so we have a lot of stuff to get. We have a plan to get the essentials (minus couch & living room chairs) for our new home at Ikea & customize everything. The plan is to have everything delivered to my parents house in NJ right before the move to MS because it's only $90 flat rate, whereas in MS it would cost a whole lot more b/c there's no Ikeas down there. I was going to get a U-Haul U-box & just have the Ikea guys load everything directly into the U-Box. Is this is a bad idea in terms of the move?

It seems silly to me to have stuff delivered to NJ if you are just going to move it. Ikea isn't the only option. Even places like Target have lots of furniture similar to Ikea. And since you guys are just starting out, a better plan is to buy via Craigslist and thrift stores. Cheaper, and probably better quality. Buying stuff, just to move it (and maybe have it be damaged, even if you leave it in boxes) seems really silly. And certainly more expensive than thrift stores. And, as I said above, I'm not convinced you guys even get a PPM move from NJ.

5. Housing office told me we would be assigned a house 30-45 days out from our arrival & it will be waiting for us. We do not need hard orders to be on the wait list so I'll be getting on the list at the end of this month. Would I be able to move down there as soon as DH gets hard orders? You can move whenever you want, but where you stay during that time will be on you. You can make a reservation at a TLF (temporary Lodging facility) on base, but that isn't always the cheapest option. Check local hotels. If he will be using TLA/TLE (I can never remember which is which) for a few days (I think he gets 10 coming from OCONUS, but check the JTR to confirm), he may have to stay in a TLF for that time, if it is available. After that, he would just use his BAH, and could stay wherever he wanted. And they may not allow him to stay in the TLF long term. 30-45 days is just an estimate. And, although you are on the list without orders, sometimes that doesn't mean what it seems like it means. Often you are "on the list" but your place on the list can be determined by when he checks out of his previous command, so 15 people could be added to the last after you but be placed ahead of you. Housing lists are really wonky, so just be careful about putting too much stock in places on the list and on time estimates.

Thanks for the help everyone. And if there's something I'm overlooking, please tell me. Like I said, this is new for us.

**UPDATE: Just talked to the township & I won't be able to get a U-box. Can't park it on the street & this is a corner house - no way to put it on the property. So I will have to hire movers & a truck. everything.

You still don't need to hire movers. You have very little stuff and paying movers is expensive. Box it all on your own (check Craigslist and Freecycle for boxed much cheaper than buying new), and offer beer and pizza to a few friends With so little stuff, you guys should be able to get it loaded in a truck in a few hours, or less. Then drive the Uhaul to MS.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Regular Member
    Thanks for the info Villanelle, but I need to explain a few things. We're actually not just starting out. DH has been in almost 4 years. So here's what happened: We were stationed t Vandenberg in CA when DH got his Korea orders. He volunteered for the remote for a few reasons, one of which was financial. We sold all our stuff (didn't lose money because I'm a bargain queen) and moved me back to NJ to save a ton of money. Initially I was renting a house with an old friend. It lasted for 3 months - long story short, she had me convinced that she had actually grown & become a real adult, and she hadn't. She forced me out of the house, along with my 2 dogs, with a pack of lies. Anyway, I had no choice but to heal some estrangement & move in with my parents (also in NJ) until DH is done in Korea. That's why we don't have much. I have no one to help me pack a truck. My father is too old & in poor health. We have no friends in the area, and DH's parents aren't in any shape to move boxes or the couple pieces of furniture we do have. And driving a truck myself isn't an option. First off, I have to get my car to MS. Second, I have my two dogs to get down there with me.

We really do not want to get stuff from thrift stores or base yard sale pages again. We don't own a truck and because my husband won't be attached to a squadron, we really won't know anyone to help us out with a truck. Dealing with the logistics of all that in CA was a giant pain in the ass. And we are not the type of people to approach new neighbors & make lots of friends, etc. Not our thing. And one of the things we've decided as a couple is that we just don't want second hand things anymore. I have found plenty of other ways to save money buying new things. We have plans for hacking & customizing the Ikea furniture & very much want to do that.
  4. Regular Member
    We could still have Ikea stuff delivered to MS, but it would be significantly more expensive to deliver, and less worth it in that case. Assuming we stick with the plan & have it delivered to me in NJ, it's all going to stay in boxes so yes damage is always a possibility, but I'm not nearly as concerned about with everything factory packed.

Sorry, I'm a little confused about some of the housing stuff. You said I could move whenever I wanted, but not if we're living on base right? I understand the reimbursement issue, but in order to live on base, I would need hard orders, yes?
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrolla View Post
    We could still have Ikea stuff delivered to MS, but it would be significantly more expensive to deliver, and less worth it in that case. Assuming we stick with the plan & have it delivered to me in NJ, it's all going to stay in boxes so yes damage is always a possibility, but I'm not nearly as concerned about with everything factory packed.

Sorry, I'm a little confused about some of the housing stuff. You said I could move whenever I wanted, but not if we're living on base right? I understand the reimbursement issue, but in order to live on base, I would need hard orders, yes?
    You can move to NJ whenever you want (but likely you need to have orders if you want the PPM reimbursement, but he should talk to his command about that). But you will need to stay somewhere until you get in to base housing. You can stay in a TLF or a hotel or a furnished vacation rental, or whatever you can find that works, if you'd rather be in MS with him instead of NJ. But if you are moving a truckload of stuff, then you'd likely have to pay a moving company to store your things until you get in to housing.

Is that what you were asking about?
  6. Senior Member
    If you are only going to be there for 5 months, you might consider just living in a furnished rental, and waiting to buy furniture until your next location. It varies by location, but we were able to find something on VRBO for less than our BAH, and we are living here for 6.5 months in between overseas PCSes. It ended up being so much simplier, and since you guys don't have a ton of stuff anyway, it seems like it would make a lot of sense. We did still do a small HHG move here (the rest is floating around somewhere in between Germany and Japan, but it's complicated and not really relevant) so we have clothes and other basics. It sounds like the only large item you'd have to deal with is your mattress. You could rent a small storage space, or even look for a rental that isn't super full and just prop it up against a wall somewhere. You might even be able to save money if you can get something for less than BAH (and remember, with a vacation rental all utilities are included). And if you are renting something for 5 months, you can probably negotiate a discount. (I asked every place I spoke with for military, longer term, and/or off season discounts and every single one agreed to some discount off their regular rates.)
  7. Regular Member
    I actually tried VRBO, on your recommendation from a month or so ago. We only found one potential rental. It was very promising but it was a little above our BAH & with taxes & fees it turned out to be way over. They weren't willing to work out a discount or work outside the site because Biloxi is a high volume vacation area. It's also tougher to find a place that will take our fur-kids. And here's the other thing. We will be moving to our next duty station (99% sure it'll be Lackland) right around Thanksgiving. DH is just graduating ALS this week and will be heading into his next station as a new SSgt in a new career field. He wants to make a good impression & start off well, so we'd like our house to be all put together by Christmas in case we need to host some of his airmen. That's a big reason we want to already have the bulk of our new furnishings by the time we get there. But, we still have some time & considering to do, so I might check back with VRBO.
  8. Senior Member
    I live in a very high volume vacation area (san diego, and an even more vacation-y area within San Diego). But pets definitely complicate things. Also check airB&B for more choices.

No one is going to care that you don't have your house put together a month after moving, even if you do have to host people. I can't overstate how much no one will care. That should be a non-issue. Everyone in the military understands moves. I've been to a party hosted by an O-5's spouse who was still living in a hotel, and had it in the small empty room at the hotel (not catered, just in the hotel's empty room, basically) and no one batted an eye. (And if you plan on trying to live in housing, you may well not even have a house by then.)

Good luck.
  9. Regular Member
    We'll definitely be living off base at our next duty station. Honestly, airbnb has been getting a lot of bad press lately & it makes me leery of using them. But I just took a look anyway. Nothing in our price range that will take the puppers.
  10. Senior Member
    1 - They are going to send him directly to his new duty station (tech school).
    2 - Correct, you will need hard copy orders. They will not reimburse for a move that occurs before receiving orders.
    3 - Yes, he should receive per diem for you.
    4 - I guess there is no question here since you cannot do U-box.
    5 - No, you will not be allowed to move into housing without orders. And you will have to check with housing to see if you can move in ahead of him reporting there.

You may have one further complication. Did the military move you from CA to NJ? If they did not, then your husband's orders will not include a move from NJ to MS, they will include a move from CA to MS. You probably will get lucky and the cost to move your stuff from NJ to MS will be less than the cost to move your stuff from CA to MS. None the less, it is a complicating factor.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast