Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Advice for first PCS and a few questions

  1. Regular Member
    mtoletha's Avatar
    mtoletha is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    54
    #1

    Advice for first PCS and a few questions

    Advertisements
    Okay, this is moving quickly. We still have a few things that are not clear to us about the PCS. We are supposed to go to temp lodging on base. We want to get our HHG crated for storage. My question is, who do we tell we want it crated since it's not a door to door and secondly, will the gov pay to move it from storage to our house once we find one? Also, we are on the waiting list for base housing.

    Do we have to request Temp Lodging Expenses or is that automatic?

    I have my notebook ready to load with all of our important documents...marriage certificates, orders, birth cert, etc. Any more advice for a newbie?

    Thank you!
  2. Senior Member
    missinghim's Avatar
    missinghim is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    9,316
    #2
    You won't have to get it crated, it will just go into storage. We moved here in Feb of 2013 and didn't get a house until April of 2013. For us, there was a form we filled out that showed we did not have a delivery address. One of the other ladies might have more information on that, DH did all of that when he went to TMO to set everything up. When we were ready to have our homegoods delivered we just called TMO and set up a date. We did not pay anything to have our stuff delivered.

    We had 10 (I think it was 10?) days of TLF paid for. After that our BAH kicked in, which is what we used to pay for TLF. We had a pet room, so our room was a little bit more expensive, but there really aren't many other options here unfortunately. Our room was a small living room, kitchen, dinette area, bathroom and bedroom. TLF had a few dishes, pots and pans, etc. Basically the necessities to cook.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

    Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  3. Senior Member
    Southern-queen's Avatar
    Southern-queen is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    35,924
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by mtoletha View Post
    Okay, this is moving quickly. We still have a few things that are not clear to us about the PCS. We are supposed to go to temp lodging on base. We want to get our HHG crated for storage. My question is, who do we tell we want it crated since it's not a door to door and secondly, will the gov pay to move it from storage to our house once we find one? Also, we are on the waiting list for base housing.

    Do we have to request Temp Lodging Expenses or is that automatic?

    I have my notebook ready to load with all of our important documents...marriage certificates, orders, birth cert, etc. Any more advice for a newbie?

    Thank you!
    Where is your household goods? Do you not have a current home with stuff to move now?

    Second, no getting lodging is not automatic nor is going on base housing. YOu need to call and reserve a room for lodging (and if there is no room at TLF they will give you a letter of non availablity or assign you a hotel to stay). For base housing you need to call the base the military member will be assigned to and ask their procedure for getting on the list. Some have it where you can do it 30 days from the report no later than date, some require the military member to actually be checked into the incoming sqd before they will put the family on the list.

    Proper pay is generally automatic BUT the military member needs to keep track of what they are suppose to get and what they do get. Not all expenses are covered.
  4. Your friendly neighborhood gun totin' mama!
    ZombieGrl's Avatar
    ZombieGrl is offline
    Your friendly neighborhood gun totin' mama!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The bum of Hell....aka Altus, OK
    Posts
    12,770
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    Where is your household goods? Do you not have a current home with stuff to move now?

    Second, no getting lodging is not automatic nor is going on base housing. YOu need to call and reserve a room for lodging (and if there is no room at TLF they will give you a letter of non availablity or assign you a hotel to stay). For base housing you need to call the base the military member will be assigned to and ask their procedure for getting on the list. Some have it where you can do it 30 days from the report no later than date, some require the military member to actually be checked into the incoming sqd before they will put the family on the list.

    Proper pay is generally automatic BUT the military member needs to keep track of what they are suppose to get and what they do get. Not all expenses are covered.
    All of this. If youre going to a "temp base", Im guessing youre meaning a TDY en route? If so, you will be able to stay in lodging during your entire stay, but you do need to make a reservation with them. Once you get to your permanent base, the military will cover 10 days in lodging, but they will not pay upfront for it. You will pay, then get reimbursed once your DH turns in all the required paperwork. (I'm an accounting clerk at lodging here at Altus, so I unfortunately know way too much about those procedures.)

    Remember to keep your receipts from the move. Any gas receipts during your travel, hotel receipts...anything moving related. Even if youre not reimbursed by the military for these things, you can claim them on your taxes.
    Women are not the weak, frail little flowers that they are advertised. There has never been anything invented yet, including war, that a man would enter into, that a woman wouldn't, too. --Will Rogers


    Sometimes damaged goods are more valuable because of their unique qualities.


    FOLLOW OPSEC PLEASE!!!!!
  5. Senior Member
    villanelle's Avatar
    villanelle is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    14,790
    #5
    You have to request the Lodging. In many places, it can fill up months in advance. Request it now. You can always adjust dates as needed, so better to request for earlier and longer than you need, so you know you have a spot. (Confirm their change and cancelations policies first.) If TLF isnt' available, you can probably stay in a hotel, but you may need a certificate of non-availability. It's been so long since I did a CONUS move that I can't recall the details of TLA/TLE for stateside, and whether you get it or for how many days. That's basically the pay for staying in a hotel for a short time. Once that is up (I think it is 3 or 10 days?), then you'll have to pay for the hotel ot of your BAH.

    Your stuff won't be crated. It will be a regular move. When they call you to arrange delivery, you'll just tell them you don't have a home yet. I think you get 90 days of storage free and automatically, and then they will deliver when you call and give them a date and address. If you are waiting until your military housing is available, however, know that it could be far longer than that. Depending on where you are, it can take much longer. Some places have 2 year wait lists, for example. How long did they tell you the wait list was when your DH signed up on the list? (Are you sure he's on the list already?)
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. Senior Member
    missinghim's Avatar
    missinghim is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    9,316
    #6
    She's coming to Cannon, it's not a temp base. I think she just meant she's temporarily staying in TLF because the rank they qualify for base housing is not completed yet. There was no officer rank housing at Cannon; they are completing them now and should be done Jan-Feb time-frame. But who knows with the weather and all that jazz.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

    Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  7. Regular Member
    mtoletha's Avatar
    mtoletha is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    54
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    She's coming to Cannon, it's not a temp base. I think she just meant she's temporarily staying in TLF because the rank they qualify for base housing is not completed yet. There was no officer rank housing at Cannon; they are completing them now and should be done Jan-Feb time-frame. But who knows with the weather and all that jazz.
    Yes, she knows how to fill in the lines for me...=) Thanks! We are officially on the wait list and yes I did already make 30 days reservations at TLF. I was just wondering if the reimbursement was automatic or if we had to make that happen by filing for it. And I was concerned that we would have to pay for storage if we didn't need our HHG right away. Is it common to file for an extension past the 90 days of storage (if it comes to that)? I mean, we were told it could be April before we can move in.
  8. Senior Member
    villanelle's Avatar
    villanelle is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    14,790
    #8
    IME, you have to file for reimbursement for the TLF. You have to actually submit receipts. Since it is based on actual costs, you have to actually show the receipts to prove you paid. But I don't think you will qualify for having 30 days (or more) reimbursed. After the first few (3 or 10, I think), you'll be paying using BAH, so it's really no different than paying rent.

    Also, while there are exceptions to the 90 days of storage, you have to have a reason, and I'm not sure whether "still waiting for housing" would be considered good enough, or not. If it is going to be 4 months, are you sure you still want housing? Will your BAH cover the cost of the hotel or will you be out of pocket for some of it that whole time? Are you truly prepared to live on a hotel for 4 months? Depending on how the TLF is set up, that could be nearly torture. (Do you have kids?) I've done it for 59 days in a very small TLF room (small for even an average hotel) and it was not fun. Does the TLF have a kitchenette? Otherwise, you'll be basically eating out all the time, which gets expensive, unhealthy, and frustrating.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. Senior Member
    idratherbehiking's Avatar
    idratherbehiking is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Arendelle
    Posts
    5,783
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by mtoletha View Post
    Yes, she knows how to fill in the lines for me...=) Thanks! We are officially on the wait list and yes I did already make 30 days reservations at TLF. I was just wondering if the reimbursement was automatic or if we had to make that happen by filing for it. And I was concerned that we would have to pay for storage if we didn't need our HHG right away. Is it common to file for an extension past the 90 days of storage (if it comes to that)? I mean, we were told it could be April before we can move in.
    I'm almost positive you can get an extension.

    DH and I have had to Put our stuff into storage after our last two PCS. The first time, the wait for housing was over 3 months. DH was able to get about a month off (leave combined with travel time (we were traveling over 3,000 mi) and time to house hunt), and the other 2 months I stayed with family. When our house was ready, he let the storage company know and they brought the stuff to our house. The storage time starts after your stuff is put in storage (time spent in transit doesn't count against you).




  10. Senior Member
    Southern-queen's Avatar
    Southern-queen is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    35,924
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by mtoletha View Post
    Yes, she knows how to fill in the lines for me...=) Thanks! We are officially on the wait list and yes I did already make 30 days reservations at TLF. I was just wondering if the reimbursement was automatic or if we had to make that happen by filing for it. And I was concerned that we would have to pay for storage if we didn't need our HHG right away. Is it common to file for an extension past the 90 days of storage (if it comes to that)? I mean, we were told it could be April before we can move in.
    They will hold your goods in storage for 90 days before either delivery OR you pay. So yeah, you can extend the storage but it is out of your pocket (last I knew).

    To be reimbursed for anything the military member is owed, he will have to file his travel voucher with all supportive receipts.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •