Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PCSing and your movie collection

1. Your friendly neighborhood gun totin' mama!
    Your friendly neighborhood gun totin' mama!

PCSing and your movie collection

Advertisements
    How do you move your movies? DH wants us to take them rather than the movers this time around. We have somewhere around 1300 movies/tv series. Im okay with this, especially because last time our stuff was quite literally put into random ass boxes. But if you have a collection, how do you pack them up? Do you use boxes, or do you have those reusable movie tote thing? We already have them in alphabetical order and in an excel spreadsheet, so I will be able to tell exactly what is in each container (can you tell were slightly OCD?), I just dont know if it would be worth putting the money into the reusables. This is our 2nd move in less than 3 years, but our next move probably wont be for another 6-7 years.

I also have to do this for our video games, but we only have about 300 of them, so its a little easier.
    Women are not the weak, frail little flowers that they are advertised. There has never been anything invented yet, including war, that a man would enter into, that a woman wouldn't, too. --Will Rogers

Sometimes damaged goods are more valuable because of their unique qualities.

FOLLOW OPSEC PLEASE!!!!!
  2. Senior Member
    I have somewhere between 300-400 movies. Before our first PCS, I put them all into 2 movie binders and threw out all the cases. I took them with me in my car because I was scared they could get lost. The second PCS, I had the binders packed up and shipped with our HHG.

3. Senior Member

When I moved from Randolph to Lajes I put my moves(600+) in the black binders and therw away the cases. Then I moved from Lajes to Kadena and sold the movies. After I moved them to the binders i never watched them because I hated flipping through the bulky binders and it was an out of sight out of mind thing. DH and I started a blu ray collection at Kadena. We just had the movers box them up and they went in the HHG to Turkey. When we just left Turkey we had 600+ movies and 100+ games that are boxed up in our HHG.

Long story short.... just ask them to put them in the same box(s) or pack them yourself in a plastic tote and let them ship them.
  4. Senior Member
    Ours are in those binders because we always carry them with us as we normally have a vehicle with an entertainment system.
  5. Senior Member
    I've always kept those binders too... and a digital collection. makes the move a lot easier.
  6. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

We have a detailed inventory of our movies and have the movers put them into boxes with movies/games only. This way we have an inventory if they happen to go missing along the way. So far, so good. The only things we make sure to move ourselves is the firebox with all of our important docs in it and photos that cannot be replaced.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  7. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Ditto Crystal..
    We have over 2000 movies, we had detailed inventory of each movie, and had multiple copies available to attach to whatever documents needed.
    Never had a movie disappear (at least not from the movers)

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  8. Senior Member
    Lmao y'all are over the top. I put them in some boxes labeled DVDs and called it a day.
  9. Your friendly neighborhood gun totin' mama!
    Your friendly neighborhood gun totin' mama!
    See, I've thought about doing the whole binder thing, but the "out of site, out of mind" thing always makes me change my mind. Last move, I packed them all up and printed out our list, taking note of what was in each box. I'm probably going to do that again this move.
    Women are not the weak, frail little flowers that they are advertised. There has never been anything invented yet, including war, that a man would enter into, that a woman wouldn't, too. --Will Rogers

Sometimes damaged goods are more valuable because of their unique qualities.

FOLLOW OPSEC PLEASE!!!!!
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Lmao y'all are over the top. I put them in some boxes labeled DVDs and called it a day.
    Me too. If you're worried, take pics and then do an inventory when you get where you're going. If one disappears they have to replace it, as they do with anything that gets broken/disappears.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast