Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: St. Louis

  1. Navy Wife Extraordinaire
    katiebee's Avatar
    katiebee is offline
    Navy Wife Extraordinaire
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    4,982

    #1

    Shock St. Louis

    Advertisements
    DH got orders to St. Louis and we are moving there from San Diego this coming May. We don't know ANYTHING about St. Louis at all.... anyone on here from the area or familiar with it enough to let us know what parts of the city are ok for living in? We don't have any kids, just a cat and dog, and we are wanting an area where we can have a detached home with a yard.

    Any help is appreciated!
  2. Senior Member
    Kirst's Avatar
    Kirst is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,151
    Blog Entries
    2
    #2
    No personal experience but my brother and sister-in-law visited and they loved it. They said the people were friendly and the area was really nice. Hope that helps somehow.
  3. Navy Wife Extraordinaire
    katiebee's Avatar
    katiebee is offline
    Navy Wife Extraordinaire
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    4,982

    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst View Post
    No personal experience but my brother and sister-in-law visited and they loved it. They said the people were friendly and the area was really nice. Hope that helps somehow.
    Thanks!

    I seem to find people who have visited there but no one who has actually lived there. Its going to be so weird because we are moving from where we have SO MANY amenities for military to a place where there isn't even a base. Like, what do I do for medical? And I am SO going to miss the Navy Exchange and commissary. I just don't even really know where to start on figuring it all out.
  4. Senior Member
    tofuface's Avatar
    tofuface is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    738
    #4
    All I know is that there is an arc ... a sculpture some place lol.
  5. Senior Member
    idratherbehiking's Avatar
    idratherbehiking is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Arendelle
    Posts
    5,783
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by katiebee View Post
    Thanks!

    I seem to find people who have visited there but no one who has actually lived there. Its going to be so weird because we are moving from where we have SO MANY amenities for military to a place where there isn't even a base. Like, what do I do for medical? And I am SO going to miss the Navy Exchange and commissary. I just don't even really know where to start on figuring it all out.
    I was kind of in a similar situation a few years ago. DH was stationed in San Diego and got orders to recruit in Massachusetts. The closest military base (where we live) is a 45 minute drive from DH's work. This base is is tiny and for the most part, civilian run (you will see more people in business suits than military uniforms). It was weird going from a big military community to an area where there's a tiny military presence. But I adjusted.

    There are bases around St. Louis but they might be a bit of a drive for you (a quick google search came up with Scott AFB around 30 minutes away). Are you on Tricare Prime or Standard? I believe if you're on prime and there are no bases for X amountof miles that you are allowed to see a civilian doctor.




  6. Senior Member
    Miss_Saskia's Avatar
    Miss_Saskia is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Germany / Fort Riley
    Posts
    1,170
    #6
    I can only answer questions about being on Prime. I, too live too far away from a military installation to be seen on post, so I got to choose my own doctor
    I haven't had any copays yet but a couple dollars here and there for prescriptions. If you are on long term medication I would recommend looking into the home-delivery option. As far as I know, pricing will be similar to any military pharmacy. So mostly free?
    In regard to St. Louis all I know is that apparently the zoo is free and that there are a couple cool museums.
    Good luck with your move and trying to figure everything out.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    tremblingturtle's Avatar
    tremblingturtle is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    14,195

    #7
    Yea the zoo is free, but if you park in the zoo parking it costs. I have found you can park other places in the park and just walk though.

    I love st louis!

    I don't live in the city, but about an hour away.
  8. Navy Wife Extraordinaire
    katiebee's Avatar
    katiebee is offline
    Navy Wife Extraordinaire
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    4,982

    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    I was kind of in a similar situation a few years ago. DH was stationed in San Diego and got orders to recruit in Massachusetts. The closest military base (where we live) is a 45 minute drive from DH's work. This base is is tiny and for the most part, civilian run (you will see more people in business suits than military uniforms). It was weird going from a big military community to an area where there's a tiny military presence. But I adjusted.

    There are bases around St. Louis but they might be a bit of a drive for you (a quick google search came up with Scott AFB around 30 minutes away). Are you on Tricare Prime or Standard? I believe if you're on prime and there are no bases for X amountof miles that you are allowed to see a civilian doctor.
    Good to know about Tricare. I am on prime so I was wondering how all that would work. I am not on any type of meds except birth control and I hope I will still be able to pick that up for free.
  9. I'm a time traveler. I point and laugh at archaeologists!
    whofan's Avatar
    whofan is offline
    I'm a time traveler. I point and laugh at archaeologists!
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    199
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by katiebee View Post
    DH got orders to St. Louis and we are moving there from San Diego this coming May. We don't know ANYTHING about St. Louis at all.... anyone on here from the area or familiar with it enough to let us know what parts of the city are ok for living in? We don't have any kids, just a cat and dog, and we are wanting an area where we can have a detached home with a yard.

    Any help is appreciated!
    If you're looking for a single family house, you probably want either West County or South County area. St. Louis is set up with "city" and "county." St. Louis city is pretty small, plus pretty busy and pricey. St. Louis county is the whole surrounding area--the "suburbs," sort of. To differentiate the parts of the county, there is North, South, and West county. West county is very nice, but a little on the steep end price-wise (think lots of doctors and lawyers and up, salary-wise). South county (which is where I lived when I worked in West county) is great. Its got some really nice, family-friendly places--lots of little neighborhoods, shopping within reasonable distance, etc. I liked it, because it had a bit of "small town" feel, even though I was only 30 minutes from downtown.

    As far as amenities, there's Scott AFB about 30-45 mintues away (actually in IL, but close), but when I was there and my fella was elsewhere, I just went with the option to go to outside doctors (I don't remember, I always get Prime and Standard mixed up...) I didn't have any issues finding places to take my insurance though.

    One of my favorite things in South county, which might be useful with a dog, was Grant's Trail. Its a walking/biking path that is paved and goes for miles and miles. I don't actually remember how far, but further then you actually want to talk, Id imagine. I use to walk on it 2-4 miles every day.

    The end! Happy house hunting!

    ETA: I didn't live actually in the city, but my sister did, so I have a *little* insight about that, if that's more what you're interested in.

    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  10. Regular Member
    CardsFan79's Avatar
    CardsFan79 is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Illinois/Deployed
    Posts
    133
    #10
    Hi! I live on the Illinois side near St. Louis. I have lived in this area for 11 years. DB is station at Scott Air Force Base but is currently deployed. There are tons of things to do here; zoo is free, art museums, Fox Theater, Six Flags, shopping, arch, baseball, football, hockey, breweries including the Anheuser-Busch which has free tours and is beautifully decorated for Christmas this time of year. I could keep listing things. If you'd like, you can private message me and I can tell you more.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •