Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DITY or not?

1. Regular Member

DITY or not?

Advertisements
    Would love to hear your thoughts on a cross country dity move. Is it worth it? We are a family of 6, not a too too much stuff, but still. How does it work exactly?
  2. Senior Member
    For me the dity cross country was not worth it. I forget all the steps but the mil member has to go into transportation and state their intention to move themselves. They are paid 100% for themselves, 75% for their spouse and 50% for each dependent. You get per diem and than also are paid for vehicles driven (I think only two). They figure out how many miles there are between where you are and where you have to go and they give you a set amount of days to get there and pay for that many days.

The military member is best to go to finance to find out what the pay/travel allowances are and tmo for info on the actual moving. They will have the most current information and will be able to help specifically for your instances.
  3. Married to Airman
    Married to Airman
    We did partly dity. Military still shipped our hhg. We drove with our SUV at the time and stuffed everything we could in our car. We loved it. We drove from Keesler MS to Travis CA. We loved it! However, we didn't have any children when we did that move. We stopped at base tlf's. Stopped at Vegas, Grand Canyon, etc.
  4. Senior Member
    Sweet cheese and rice no.

Sit back, drink wine, and let someone else do the work. There is no way in any universe I would do a cross-country DITY unless we were forced to.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  5. Senior Member
    No, never.

Partial DITY (PPM is the new term, I believe) is fine. If you are driving anyway, you might as well get paid for the weight of the stuff you do take. But full DITY? People rarely make money. And those who claim they do often fail to subtract the stuff they would have gotten anyway, like per diem for the travel. So you *might* make a few hundred bucks, if you are lucky. SO not worth it to me.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. Regular Member
    Alright, I've heard enough to think this is not for us! I'll look into the partial because DH is thinking about driving one vehicle while I fly with the kids.
  7. Senior Member
    Just curious, does loading your car full of stuff and driving cross counrty count as a partial DITY? That's what we've done the last 2 cross country PCS (filled both out cars to the max but had them transport everything else) and we never claimed it as a partial.

8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtoletha View Post
    Alright, I've heard enough to think this is not for us! I'll look into the partial because DH is thinking about driving one vehicle while I fly with the kids.
    Keep in mind that flying is completely out of pocket. Especially if you are not doing a dity where you might make some of the money back. But the military does not pay for flights when you are moving from state to state unless one of those states is AK or Hawaii.

Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    Just curious, does loading your car full of stuff and driving cross counrty count as a partial DITY? That's what we've done the last 2 cross country PCS (filled both out cars to the max but had them transport everything else) and we never claimed it as a partial.
    Yeah if you claim it. But what they do is subtract the weight of what you are moving yourselves from the weight allowed/covered that the movers pack and move.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    Keep in mind that flying is completely out of pocket. Especially if you are not doing a dity where you might make some of the money back. But the military does not pay for flights when you are moving from state to state unless one of those states is AK or Hawaii.
    Yup. You can't do it both ways.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtoletha View Post
    Why wouldn't you all drive together? So much cheaper! I have wonderful memories of cross country moves as a kid. Just plan lots of breaks as necessary. On long trips, I always prefer not to have reservations, so we can get as far as we get and stop when we want.

Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    You have to weigh the car empty, then weigh it full, and I think weigh again upon arrival, but yes, you could claim that as a partial PPM. There's really no reason not to. Even if you only have a few suitcases and some boxes of Whatever, you might as well get paid a few bucks for having moved it, as long as you aren't close to going over your total weight allowance.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast