Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: questions about Canon AFB

1. Regular Member

questions about Canon AFB

Advertisements
    Hey! DH was just told we are going to Canon AFB. It wasn't on our list and I have no clue about the base or the area. Should we look to live on or off base? How are schools? What is there to do there? If you've had a good experience there please tell me. =) Thanks!
  2. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

We moved from there in June, after six years of being stationed there. We still own our home on the north side of town, as we assume dh will be sent back there eventually.

My yds went to Mesa Elementary and Gattis middle school and my older kids went to Clovis high. We LOVED Mesa. The other two schools were awful. Thankfully, if we go back, my youngest will be the last one at home and we will be sending him to Clovis Christian school.

The are three seasons, Dust, Winter, and Rain. Remember dust bowl pictures from the Great Depression? It can be as dusty as that. There are also many flood warnings because of poor drainage and lots of rain. I think the most snow we had one snow storm was around 18". Schools were closed for days. Few residential roads get plowed, AWD/4WD is a good idea. If you have a snow shovel, have the movers pack it. You will need it and they can be hard to come by after a storm.

There is new housing on base, just a FYI... It has been flooding when it rains heavily. There is privatized off base housing as well, in Portales and in Clovis. We lived in the Portales units for three years before buying our home. It was ok... Not great, but ok.

The Walmart in Clovis is horrid (the one is Portales is way better, worth drive IMO). No Target, Costco, Sam's Club, the only Starbucks is on Base, Lowe's, and several grocery stores.

One me thing we learned is you either love Clovis or hate it. We loved our local friends, church community, and our motorcycle family there. We live by the saying, "each base is what you make of it."
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  3. Regular Member
    Thank you Crystal! Would you suggest living in Clovis or Portales? We will be looking for a church too and community is important to us. Is it a small base? How is the commissary? How do I find a home all the way across the country? I want to get something that I think is nice and in nice neighborhood. So I have elementary school age children. Should I try to get them into Mesa?
  4. Regular Member
    Can you point me toward the nicer neighborhoods with good walking streets?
  5. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Quote Originally Posted by mtoletha View Post
    Thank you Crystal! Would you suggest living in Clovis or Portales? We will be looking for a church too and community is important to us. Is it a small base? How is the commissary? How do I find a home all the way across the country? I want to get something that I think is nice and in nice neighborhood. So I have elementary school age children. Should I try to get them into Mesa?
    We lived on the north side of town. The Raintree subdivision is the "premiere" neighborhood, but if you're only going to be there for a couple of years and your dh is newly commissioned, lease prices or purchase prices may be too high. I would stay within the Mesa school district.

The commissary on base is on the smaller side, but adequate. I shopped there on a regular basis. I would go to the local stores for bread, milk, etc when needed.

Can you point me toward the nicer neighborhoods with good walking streets?
    thankfully, most of the neighborhoods have sidewalks. Our neighborhood was always full of people walking. Pretty much anywhere on the north side is good for walking.
  6. Regular Member
    Thank you! Sorry to bombard you with questions but this is our first time going active duty. I think he will be 0-3. What is the best way to find a rental? We don't want to buy right now. Is there a property management company you recommend or should we just use a service provided by the AF?
  7. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master

Thank you! Sorry to bombard you with questions but this is our first time going active duty. I think he will be 0-3. What is the best way to find a rental? We don't want to buy right now. Is there a property management company you recommend or should we just use a service provided by the AF?
    I would try http://www.militarybyowner.com

if you change your mind and want to buy, I know a great agent.
  8. Regular Member
    Thanks Crystal! I'm not seeing a lot of rentals that would suite us. Have you heard anything about Zia elementary? And are the neighborhoods there decent? I'm doing my research online but I'm not finding a lot!
  9. Senior Member
    Zia is one of the two recommended schools. It's a good area.
    Base housing is brand new and will be moving in company grade officers at the beginning of the year if that's an option for you guys.

The base itself is 'eh'. My husband's squadron is amazing and we have events often which makes the place much better.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  10. Senior Member
    I suggest joining the Cannon AFB Wives page on Facebook. Crystal and I (I think) are the only two that are (well were for her haha) here.

What airframe is he?
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast