Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Korea for 2 years, Help!

1. Regular Member
    He is currently stationed at fort hood but I am still home in Maryland
    Blog Entries

Moving to Korea for 2 years, Help!

Advertisements
    We're going to be moving to korea. Anybody been to korea and have any advice, information, or perspective? How does command sponsorship work? Did you like being in Korea?
    Thanks!
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I am not in a military relationship, but for the past year and a half my (civilian) DF has been living and working in Korea and I've been to visit him twice now. Korea is a beautiful country and I really enjoyed my time there. DF loves living there and has done lots of traveling during his time there. The culture difference is huge, but very interesting to learn about and adapt to. I can't help with any military related questions, but any general stuff I can ask my DF for info for you

"You are platinum in a world gone grey."
  3. Senior Member
    I had a whole post written but my computer froze and I had to refresh.

Basically to get command sponsorship you will have to get at the very least a medical exam and quite possibly a mental and dental checkup to ensure your health is good. Your drs will fill their forms out, send them to the base your SO is getting assigned to and they will decide (to put it bluntly) if they want to take you. They need to see if you have any health issue that would prevent them from giving you proper care if need be or if it is something they can deal with, that they have the resources to take you as a patient for the time your SO is assigned to that base.
  4. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    thanks guys that was helpful. Our son will be 2 in February and we were not gonna take our vehicles but my husband said something about maybe we should take my car to get around. I would probably be taking my son's carseat in case we needed to get in a car to go anywhere but my question is should we seriously consider taking my car? is it worth it? I have a toyota corolla if that makes a difference, i heard that the parking spaces and streets were small
  5. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    I have been in Korea for over seven years now and love it here. I am headed out for a day of doctor appointments but will definitely help you out as soon as I can!
  6. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    Sally, thank you so much! i could definitely use it lol
  7. aBr
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by missy918 View Post
    thanks guys that was helpful. Our son will be 2 in February and we were not gonna take our vehicles but my husband said something about maybe we should take my car to get around. I would probably be taking my son's carseat in case we needed to get in a car to go anywhere but my question is should we seriously consider taking my car? is it worth it? I have a toyota corolla if that makes a difference, i heard that the parking spaces and streets were small
    Him being allowed a car will depend on his rank. Most certainly take your son's car seat but yeah even if he wanted the car thing may not be allowed. Also, your 2 year old will be required to get the same clearances/sponsorship you need.
  9. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    southern-queen thanks for the info i did not know that about the car. We went to get my son a passport and they told us i need one too because a regular passport won't work that we both need official passports which is another thing i didn't know.
    we're waiting for an email and i think thats the worst, the waiting.
  10. Senior Member
    Ah yes. I should have mentioned that. You will need offical no fee passports. They are good for moving there and coming home (or travel from Korea to the us and back while on orders and I believe that is it). It is not one for travel (like you want to pop over to Japan while in Korea no can do on this passport). The only way to get the no fee is to have your command sponsorship because to get it you have to be on the orders. It is complicated.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast