Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Going Guard... to a New State. How do we get our things sent to the new state?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Going Guard... to a New State. How do we get our things sent to the new state?

Advertisements
    Hello! We are Air National Guard out of New York, but are originally from Georgia. Hubs is finishing training in Alabama (a PCS) and will next get a TDY to Kirtland AFB in New Mexico. At the end, we will be living in New York permanently. What's going to happen to our things at the end of this PCS? I've heard that they might be sent to Georgia because that's our HOR? We don't have a house in NY yet. How do we get our HHG sent to NY?

Also, if you can offer any insight... We will be buying a house in NY after the Kirtland TDY (6 months), is it possible to be collecting BAH for New York while we're at Kirtland? Not trying to be greedy, just want the NY BAH so we can be saving for a house up there. (Its much higher than Georgia BAH, which again, we think we might be getting because that's our latest permanent address - even though we have no plans to live there again!).

Any help appreciated!!
  2. Senior Member
    I dont have any info to offer you, but I do not blame you for wanting to save up! Its soo freaking expensive here!! (NY).

Hope it works out for you!
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jlt2011 View Post
    Hello! We are Air National Guard out of New York, but are originally from Georgia. Hubs is finishing training in Alabama (a PCS) and will next get a TDY to Kirtland AFB in New Mexico. At the end, we will be living in New York permanently. What's going to happen to our things at the end of this PCS? I've heard that they might be sent to Georgia because that's our HOR? We don't have a house in NY yet. How do we get our HHG sent to NY?

Also, if you can offer any insight... We will be buying a house in NY after the Kirtland TDY (6 months), is it possible to be collecting BAH for New York while we're at Kirtland? Not trying to be greedy, just want the NY BAH so we can be saving for a house up there. (Its much higher than Georgia BAH, which again, we think we might be getting because that's our latest permanent address - even though we have no plans to live there again!).

Any help appreciated!!
    I'm a little confused. So he's in AL, but he's getting sent to NM for 6 months, then you will be moving to NY, and you're originally from GA? Is that correct?

I'm a little confused by your OP but I do know that even if you don't have a place in NY yet, you can have your things put in storage out there and then they will move it into your place when you find one. There's a a time limit on how long they'll store it (I forgot how long). At least that's what we did the last two times we PCSed to CA and then again when we were sent to MA.

**I'm not sure if things are different for National Guard**

4. Senior Member
    Gosh, if he was reserves I could tell you but since he is guard I can't. Honestly it is best for him to go talk to his finance office(r) because they will be able to tell you best. If it is anything like being regular military than it would be based on where he is assigned now not where he will be assigned at the end of the TDY. Or it will be based on where the military has you living. But with you moving with him and him being guard it could be 100% different.
  5. Senior Member
    Typically when sent to a Kirkland for 6 months, it is not a TDY but a PCS. Also, TDYs seldom include the spouse. He really needs to read his orders in order to be able to determine how the HHG and BAH will be handled.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    Typically when sent to a Kirkland for 6 months, it is not a TDY but a PCS. Also, TDYs seldom include the spouse. He really needs to read his orders in order to be able to determine how the HHG and BAH will be handled.
    It seems like this might be a tdy in the middle of a pcs. And they are guard so maybe it is different since that is state and not federal?