Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Housing at Keesler AFB

1. Regular Member

Housing at Keesler AFB

Advertisements
    Just got confirmation that DH was accepted for retraining, so our Germany follow-on is cancelled & we'll be heading to Keesler next June for 7 months of tech school. In the next few months we'll be deciding whether or not to live in base housing. The housing there is just outside of base but still gated, and all the homes are duplexes. We're not sure if DH will be an E4 or E5 when we get there. He's scheduled to sew on staff in April, but he has to go to ALS before he can sew on. And since he's in Korea, ALS is tricky & he may not be able to go while he's there. No kids, 2 dogs (one big, one small). And we had a number of very bad experiences living on base at our previous duty station. Aside from the standard pros & cons of base housing, WWYD for just 7 months? And does anyone have personal experience they can share about Keesler? Thanks.
  2. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

When my husband went to a nine-ten month tech school to retrain, we lived in an rv on base (we were in Fl, not MS). It was actually great, $360 a month for rent, electricity, water and cable TV We did also have an rv payment, I think it was $160 a month, still not bad for all your basic living bills.

Plus you get the luxury of living on base close to his training and base amenities without dealing with base housing fiascos and giving up all your BAH.

We aren't the type that like to live on base, but for the short term this was the best of both worlds. I'd check out if keesler has a famcamp, or even if there are nearby campsites with monthly rates.
  3. Senior Member
    Keesler is right on the Gulf of Mexico and while that is nice it has it cons also. Mainly hurricane season. For 7 months I would check into a longer short term rental if you don't want to deal with housing. The fam camp is a good idea but again.....hurricane season. Go to moving house for a military spouse or something like that on FB and check out the keesler housing.
  4. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Fl was as well. We did have to evacuate once for a tropical storm, but it wasn't a huge issue for us. Obviously you won't be able to predict if it'll be an issue or not for you, but we didn't find the evacuation to be much of a problem. If there had been a string of them it might be gotten old.
  5. Junior Member
    We lived on-base at Keesler while my husband was at tech school. His school lasted 6 months but we were there for about 9. There are several housing communities, but only one is technically on base. As an E-4/5 you guys would qualify for the off-base housing which is located down the street from the actual base. We lived in Bayridge, which is on-base, so I can't really say how the other housing is .. some people loved it, but others had issues, especially about the fact that it wasn't actually on base!

I'm not normally an on base housing type of person, but I'm very glad we chose to at Keesler, although mainly for personal reasons - I was high risk pregnant and we were sharing a car at the time so I would drive my husband to work in the morning and then pick him up.

We were there during hurricane Isaac but we weren't evacuated and it wasn't that bad - my husband got a few days off tech school and we were secluded to the house! They do have evacuation plans in case something more serious hits.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

6. Regular Member
    **UPDATE: I apparently can't do kindergarten math. We'll be there for 5 months, not 7. Housing office says 4 months minimum to live on base so we'd still be ok. Next week I will call a couple realtors & get a feel for the short-term rental market.
  7. Regular Member
    Hmmm, now I'm concerned that we're going to get screwed. DH swore tech school was long enough for me to join, but now I'm not so sure. I mean I'm moving there regardless if we have to pay out of pocket, but if his orders are unaccompanied base housing won't even be an option...
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrolla View Post
    Hmmm, now I'm concerned that we're going to get screwed. DH swore tech school was long enough for me to join, but now I'm not so sure. I mean I'm moving there regardless if we have to pay out of pocket, but if his orders are unaccompanied base housing won't even be an option...
    20 weeks is what is required for schooling to be accompanied BUT that is not a guarantee that he will get his orders with accompanied. But yeah, if they are not you will have to live off base regardless.
  9. Senior Member
    We are in the States for about 6.5 months in between overseas orders, while DH does some training. We just found a rental on VRBO and are staying there. We were able to negotiate a rate lower than the posted rate because we are long term, off season, and military. We will be in a place where lots of people vacation (San Diego) so there were tons of vacation rentals, but you might find something in your area. It's furnished (so you'd have to store most of your stuff), all utilities included, and just barely under our BAH. It's nothing fancy, but it's a place to sleep and shower and cook, and meets our needs.

It might be worth looking in to now, to see what's out there and at what cost. (And again, you may be able to negotiate the rates slightly, because vacation rentals are super happy to get a guaranteed renter for all that time with no vacancies.) And there are places on VRBO that allow pets.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski