Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Off to Norfolk, VA

1. It's okay, I'm a nurse. I'm allowed to touch you there.
    It's okay, I'm a nurse. I'm allowed to touch you there.

Off to Norfolk, VA

Advertisements
    We're waiting on the hard copies of orders but it looks like we're moving to Norfolk. Not sure if we want to live in housing or rent out in town. Need info on the areas with good elementary and high schools. We have two in HS and two in elementary (K and 1st grade).

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thx!
    Quote Originally Posted by pandora View Post
    He will only honor the value that YOU put on YOURSELF. Love yourself, you are worth it.
  2. Senior Member
    It really depends on what are you guys want to live in; a lot of military chooses to live in the surrounding areas as they're all very close. But yay for orders to Norfolk!!!

3. It's okay, I'm a nurse. I'm allowed to touch you there.
    Quote Originally Posted by MahalKitaSailor View Post
    It really depends on what are you guys want to live in; a lot of military chooses to live in the surrounding areas as they're all very close. But yay for orders to Norfolk!!!
    Yeah I'm excited about the move, new opportunities, and a chance for my kiddos to see real seasons.

Schools are important and I also want to be close to the base. I don't like the idea of driving through long tunnels, lol. Not sure what the traffic is like and driving in the snow will be an adventure.

We're still discussing whether or not to live in housing just until we figure everything out - location, schools, cost of living, etc... Checked out the ones listed on the Lincoln housing website. There are a few areas that would fit our family but then the school question comes into play.

So I guess I'll keep researching until it gets closer. Anyone want to rent my house in San Diego?
    He will only honor the value that YOU put on YOURSELF. Love yourself, you are worth it.
  4. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Us too!! Will be there in Dec. So far everyone I have talked to (friends stationed out there) says to avoid Norfolk proper, the tunnels from Newport/Hampton are INSANE traffic wise & Lincoln housing is mostly off base/not worth it. We have been told consistently to look at Virginia Beach or Chesapeake.

When are you looking to be out there?
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

My favorite military housing in the area is definitely Fort Story, which is through Balfour Beatty rather than Lincoln. It's about a 30-40 minute drive from NOB, depending on traffic. The houses are right on the beach (which is a private beach packed with shells) and the base borders First Landing State Park, so there's a ton of wildlife and trails nearby. There are also historic lighthouses and a national memorial (Cape Henry Memorial) on base. Most families there have kids, at least half of them school-aged. We lived there for a year and a half and it was wonderful. I've also heard that it's in a good school system, though Aubs was too young for me to really know.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

6. It's okay, I'm a nurse. I'm allowed to touch you there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hello_Sweetie View Post
    Us too!! Will be there in Dec. So far everyone I have talked to (friends stationed out there) says to avoid Norfolk proper, the tunnels from Newport/Hampton are INSANE traffic wise & Lincoln housing is mostly off base/not worth it. We have been told consistently to look at Virginia Beach or Chesapeake.

When are you looking to be out there?
    Hubby will be there in February then we follow in June. Our oldest is graduating HS so we won't be taking her out in the middle of her Sr year. Our 14yo is none too pleased with this move.

I've been researching Virginia Beach. We have a close family friend that is stationed out there now and that's where they bought their house. We're near the end of our career so we might buy out there as well and stay. Who knows...too many possibilities at this point, lol.
  7. It's okay, I'm a nurse. I'm allowed to touch you there.
    Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    My favorite military housing in the area is definitely Fort Story, which is through Balfour Beatty rather than Lincoln. It's about a 30-40 minute drive from NOB, depending on traffic. The houses are right on the beach (which is a private beach packed with shells) and the base borders First Landing State Park, so there's a ton of wildlife and trails nearby. There are also historic lighthouses and a national memorial (Cape Henry Memorial) on base. Most families there have kids, at least half of them school-aged. We lived there for a year and a half and it was wonderful. I've also heard that it's in a good school system, though Aubs was too young for me to really know.
    Just checked it out, it's for Army and it looks beautiful. The backyard is the ocean in one of the pictures.