Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving To Hawaii, HELP!!!

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Moving To Hawaii, HELP!!!

Advertisements
    My fiancé and i are getting married after deployment in June 2016, and after I finish school, I'll be moving with him between November 2016 and January 2017 to Kaneohe Bay.
    I'm putting away generous amounts of money every week to save for all the expenses, but was wondering what kind of financial aid there is?
    What programs could help me with my plane ticket (it was 1200$ last time...)
    If I need to stay in a hotel for any amount of time before furniture arrives at our house, is that reimbursed in any way?
    Are there moving companies that specialize in shipping furniture and other stuff for military spouses/families?
    What's my best bet affordability wise when it comes to furnishing our house? He's E-3, might be E-4 by the time we get a house...
    I'm just so overwhelmed with acronyms and everything. My mom was a young marine wife to my father, but so much has changed that there's not much she can help me with.
    Thank you to anyone who eve read this far,I can't wait to read your replies!
  2. Senior Member
    There is no financial aid. If you are married by the time he leaves (or maybe by the time the orders are written), then the military will pay to fly you, as well as to move all your stuff (along with his). Otherwise, you are probably on your own.

If you need to stay in a hotel and you are married and arrive together, you can both use your (his) BAH (housing allowance) to pay for that. He may also be able to use TLE or TLA, an allowance that covers a hotel for a short time when you arrive. For that, you may be required to stay in a military hotel. Again, if you aren't married, you get nothing.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by geegi View Post
    My fiancé and i are getting married after deployment in June 2016, and after I finish school, I'll be moving with him between November 2016 and January 2017 to Kaneohe Bay.
    I'm putting away generous amounts of money every week to save for all the expenses, but was wondering what kind of financial aid there is?
    If I need to stay in a hotel for any amount of time before furniture arrives at our house, is that reimbursed in any way?
    Are there moving companies that specialize in shipping furniture and other stuff for military spouses/families?
    What's my best bet affordability wise when it comes to furnishing our house? He's E-3, might be E-4 by the time we get a house...
    I'm just so overwhelmed with acronyms and everything. My mom was a young marine wife to my father, but so much has changed that there's not much she can help me with.
    When is his report date to Hawaii? Will you be on his orders? If you will be on his orders (an accompanied tour), the military will pay for your flight and handle the moving They will also cover lodging for a period while you secure a home.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geegi View Post
    Once you are married your husband will have to request an amendment to his orders to get you added. He might have to extend his time in Hawaii to get you added to his orders. Once they agree to that you have to get clearance. For that there are three types but not sure if all branches do all three. There is physical (medical), mental and dental. You will have to be seen, they will evaluate you and send that information to the gaining base and they decide if you will be what is command sponsored. They can deny you and than you will not be able to go on military dime. I think (not sure) they will pay for your flight over.

Now if you don't want to deal with all that mess you can just move over. It is a state so you don't need a passport or anything. BUT you will not be command sponsored so that means for all services you are will be seen or whatever if there is space available. And if I recall they will not pay him as if you are there.

But no, there are no services to help pay for your ticket, move your stuff etc if you are not there on his orders (again not sure what they pay to get you there even if you are on his orders). If you are not on his orders I believe you are not eligible to live in base housing either (could be wrong about that).

Basically my answer to you is stash as much money as you can, once married have him get you added to DEERS and he needs to request an amendment to his orders to include dependents.
  5. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Exciting

This is where me and my DH will be relocating to next February, if you don't mind me asking what records are needed for you pets we have too and right now that I am in our home state it would be nice to pick them up so when the time comes I have them.

I assume rabies shot records, what else?
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by !Rebecca! View Post
    This is where me and my DH will be relocating to next February, if you don't mind me asking what records are needed for you pets we have too and right now that I am in our home state it would be nice to pick them up so when the time comes I have them.

If you google Hawaii's requirements on relocating animals to HI, a page should pop up. OP hasn't come back since she posted this so she probably won't see your post not to mention she might not have info on moving pets since her post mentions nothing of them.
  7. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    If you google Hawaii's requirements on relocating animals to HI, a page should pop up. OP hasn't come back since she posted this so she probably won't see your post not to mention she might not have info on moving pets since her post mentions nothing of them.

There is a LOT more you have to do and you'll want to start it NOW because it takes 120 days. Animal Industry Division | Animal Quarantine Information Page
    ~Becca~

8. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    I think my post may have posted to the wrong one!

But thank you!
  9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Smile Shipping Pets To Hawaii

Quote Originally Posted by !Rebecca! View Post

You will need to do a FAVN blood test (rabies blood test) 120 days prior to arrival or your pet will be quarantined until the 120 days is up.
    You will need a proof of rabies vaccination that is current and is more than 15 days prior to arrival signed in BLUE ink
    You will need to have a vet apply flea medication more than 10 days but less than 30 days of departure
    You will need to have a health certificate 10 days prior to departure and signed in BLUE ink.
    You will need to have a pet import form signed and sent to Hawaii Department of Agriculture along with the FAVN report, and rabies certificates signed in blue ink no less than 10 days prior to arrival date.

Animal Industry Division | Animal Quarantine Information Page

If you have any questions at all please feel free to message me. Shipping pets here to Hawaii can be daunting but it's really all about the paperwork. The quarantine should be avoided if possible, the quarantine facilities are outside and are not the greatest.
  10. Regular Member
    The NMCRS does loans when it comes to move. Your SO might be able to set a set up loan but always a quick assist loan which that is 500 and no questioned asked. It is a loan and has to be paid back.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast