Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: getting to Guam

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

getting to Guam

Advertisements
    So me and DB have been talking a lot about our options and thinking of how to get me to Guam. A big thing would be what to do with my car. DB says that if we are married that I would be moved, including my car, by the military? I'm skeptical of that. He also said he thinks if we leave Guam at different times then we would be able to ship both cars back home... He's not 100% sure on these things, and I told him to find me some proof lol. But, anyone here know more? Any knowledge/advice is appreciated!
  2. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I haven't lived overseas, but I've never heard of them moving more than one car either there or back. I'd definitely get some more solid info on that. Also, I don't think they pay for you to move unless you are married before he PCS'ed OR (maybe, someone correct me if I'm wrong) he extends his orders in that place to change from unaccompanied to accompanied.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    I haven't lived overseas, but I've never heard of them moving more than one car either there or back. I'd definitely get some more solid info on that. Also, I don't think they pay for you to move unless you are married before he PCS'ed OR (maybe, someone correct me if I'm wrong) he extends his orders in that place to change from unaccompanied to accompanied.
    Yea, that's all what I was thinking as well. I'll tell him to get some real details on this stuff
  4. Senior Member
    I think you have to already be married for the military to help move you at all whatsoever. When I moved to Hawaii, it was all out of pocket.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I think you have to already be married for the military to help move you at all whatsoever. When I moved to Hawaii, it was all out of pocket.
    We would be married before I moved. But do you mean we'd have to have been married before he went to Guam?
  6. Senior Member

They will not move your vehicle.

For those that are curious DH and I can ship 2 since we are mil-mil. We are on separate orders so are both authorized 1.
    Last edited by Sushi; 09-29-2015 at 08:49 AM.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
    They will not move your vehicle.

For those that are curios DH and I can ship 2 since we are mil-mil. We are on separate orders so are both authorized 1.
    Thanks, that's exactly what I thought. Hmm, I'm thinking I might just take it off the road so at least it's here when we get back. I really don't want to deal with selling it and all ughh
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CourtLove View Post
    We would be married before I moved. But do you mean we'd have to have been married before he went to Guam?
    Based off what I've read on here, if y'all had been married BEFORE he got orders to Guam then he could have gotten accompanied orders so that they would move you too and you could get medical over there. Since y'all would be getting married after he was already stationed there, then it is likely you will have to pay out of your own pocket to get your stuff there. That's how it works CONUS so I assume that's how it works OCONUS. But, your main concern right now should be getting them to change his orders to accompanied which seems a little tricky from what I've read.

I hope someone sees this and can give you better answers

9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    Based off what I've read on here, if y'all had been married BEFORE he got orders to Guam then he could have gotten accompanied orders so that they would move you too and you could get medical over there. Since y'all would be getting married after he was already stationed there, then it is likely you will have to pay out of your own pocket to get your stuff there. That's how it works CONUS so I assume that's how it works OCONUS. But, your main concern right now should be getting them to change his orders to accompanied which seems a little tricky from what I've read.

I hope someone sees this and can give you better answers
    Thanks! Yea, the only thing I'd really need if I moved there would be healthcare. He already has his own place so that would be easy to move in with him.
  10. Married to Airman
    Married to Airman
    Have u looked up how much to ship your car out of pocket? It might be worth paying the shipping if it isn't that expensive. I know my friend shipped her car(out of pocket) to the UK for only like $2500(one way). However, you will have to pay for shipping again when you pcs out of Guam and who knows where you would go. If its somewhere where shipping a car cost too much then that's something you will have to think as well.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast