Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I thought I was excited, but...

1. Champagne Supernova
    Champagne Supernova

I thought I was excited, but...

Advertisements
    I think it was the idea I was more excited with, not actually doing it. DH is devastated and feels horribly guilty for having to move me (hello, I married him knowing ths what it was about).I just dont think he ever thought we'd be going to the west coast. When the orders came up, he was to slow to jump back on VA Beach as we were hoping we'd get to stay here in Jax. By the time he went for them, they were full, and well.. thats how we got San Diego.

We've moved in the past before (VA to here) but it wasnt this scary. Across country is scary and its unknown. DH isnt ready to talk about places to move, and seeing how unhappy he is is stressing me out now, too. I love it here. Our family is from S.Fl, so we're leaving them, and our friends. We both have great jobs too. DH works awesome hours (after having a long crappy strand of horrible hours and commands) and I have a great management position.

This is so hard. I know this is part of the game.. its just harder this turn.
  2. Senior Member
    San Diego though?? When will you ever get another chance to live there? Be grateful, that's at least a neat place to get to live. It could be so much worse!

I know that probably isn't helpful, and of course your feelings are totally valid. Moving is a pain even if you're moving close by, so cross country is bound to be even more annoying. Try to be positive though! Make the most of it. It's all temporary.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Farfalla View Post
    I think it was the idea I was more excited with, not actually doing it. DH is devastated and feels horribly guilty for having to move me (hello, I married him knowing ths what it was about).I just dont think he ever thought we'd be going to the west coast. When the orders came up, he was to slow to jump back on VA Beach as we were hoping we'd get to stay here in Jax. By the time he went for them, they were full, and well.. thats how we got San Diego.

We've moved in the past before (VA to here) but it wasnt this scary. Across country is scary and its unknown. DH isnt ready to talk about places to move, and seeing how unhappy he is is stressing me out now, too. I love it here. Our family is from S.Fl, so we're leaving them, and our friends. We both have great jobs too. DH works awesome hours (after having a long crappy strand of horrible hours and commands) and I have a great management position.

This is so hard. I know this is part of the game.. its just harder this turn.
    I'm super jealous you got San Diego. I'd trade places with you in a second.
    DH had to jump through hoops to get orders to San Diego (we had been in NC for 4 years ) and we were in California all of 3 months before he got HSSTed and was forced to do a B billet (recruiting). Luckily, it took a year for a spot in the school house to open up because that year in SoCal was one of the best years of my life.

San Diego is beautiful. Enjoy your time there.

4. Champagne Supernova
    Champagne Supernova
    I know we will love San Diego and I dont mean to sound ungrateful at all, its just a lot to take in! I've heard nothing but great things, so I know it'll just take some time to adjust.
  5. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    Moving sucks, I totally understand. I have done 2 cross-country moves (Florida to Hawaii and then Hawaii to Syracuse NY). Maybe something you guys can do together to get more excited about the move is look up places/events/activities you want to do once you get there.
    ~Becca~

6. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor

Quote Originally Posted by brahette View Post
    Moving sucks, I totally understand. I have done 2 cross-country moves (Florida to Hawaii and then Hawaii to Syracuse NY). Maybe something you guys can do together to get more excited about the move is look up places/events/activities you want to do once you get there.
    This!
    I have a list of places we want to hike when we *hopefully* end up in CA someday.

Cross country moving really isn't so bad. You can make it fun by breaking it up sight seeing along the way. It's a pretty amazing drive. We drove from NC to WA.

<3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3
  7. Champagne Supernova
    Champagne Supernova
    We won't be able to do much sight seeing on the way.. We have to drive seperate cars and were moving our dog and cat too, so that alone is a headache!

I think once I get a handle on how to go about all this ,and DH gets on board , I'll be happy. It'd just be helpful if we were the hiking type. I love to go to different places but DH is a little harder to convince. He stresses over unknowns.
  8. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor

Oh nooooo :c

*hugs* well good luck.

<3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3
  9. Senior Member
    Awwww

I hope the move goes smooth and you settle in quick! Can someone take the ride with you and fly back? So atleast you wont be lonely.
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Farfalla View Post
    We won't be able to do much sight seeing on the way.. We have to drive seperate cars and were moving our dog and cat too, so that alone is a headache!

I think once I get a handle on how to go about all this ,and DH gets on board , I'll be happy. It'd just be helpful if we were the hiking type. I love to go to different places but DH is a little harder to convince. He stresses over unknowns.
    You can still make an adventure out of it! But how much you enjoy your drive will depend on your outlook.

DH and and I have done two 3,000+ mile PCS (North Carolina to California and then California to Massachusetts) in separate cars, with a ton of stuff, and 2 large breed dogs and we still saw a lot. My favorite stops were Graceland (we only got to stand at the gate but it was still cool), Beale St. in Memphis and Saguaro Natl. Park in Arizona.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast