Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Aria is moving to...

1. Senior Member

Aria is moving to...

Advertisements
    Travis AFB! Any advice on where to live? We will for sure live off base just not sure what area is the best. I really don't know anything about the base or location.
  2. Moderator

Congratulations!

I don't have any advice, but are y'all excited? You've been overseas so long!
  3. I'm so much cooler online
    I'm so much cooler online
    I love it here! Parts of Suisun are nice as well as Vacaville. The farther from base the better. We live on base and we like it. We were lucky to get one of the newer houses and at the time we moved here our BAH would either cover the ghetto or a tiny apartment. But since then they have raised BAH so it's a little better. I've also heard good things about Dixon if the commute isn't an issue for you guys.
  4. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor

Ahhhh!! That's where we want to go next. Hopefully we'll see you and Angelyn there soon. I thought about you when I saw they were pulling families out of there. Hope everything goes smoothly and without delay.

<3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3
  5. Senior Member

We got orders to Minot a couple months ago but I can't do my job there so we have been waiting forever for a new follow on. Hopefully we can get outprocessed without any issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by twistertwin View Post
    Congratulations!

I don't have any advice, but are y'all excited? You've been overseas so long!
    We are but we really wanted to stay overseas. I feel like we are all going to have a culture shock.

Quote Originally Posted by Justangelyn View Post
    I love it here! Parts of Suisun are nice as well as Vacaville. The farther from base the better. We live on base and we like it. We were lucky to get one of the newer houses and at the time we moved here our BAH would either cover the ghetto or a tiny apartment. But since then they have raised BAH so it's a little better. I've also heard good things about Dixon if the commute isn't an issue for you guys.
    Oh thanks for the tip! Everyone seems to suggest Vacaville.
    Quote Originally Posted by germy View Post
    Ahhhh!! That's where we want to go next. Hopefully we'll see you and Angelyn there soon. I thought about you when I saw they were pulling families out of there. Hope everything goes smoothly and without delay.
    They aren't making anyone leave just giving the option if people want to go. Hopefully they don't don't force dependents to leave before Nov so we dont have to send Aria back early.
  6. Senior Member
    good luck with everything!
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  7. Senior Member
    Good luck on your move!

You'll be so close(ish) to Yosemite. I'm so jelly!

8. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor

Quote Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
    They aren't making anyone leave just giving the option if people want to go. Hopefully they don't don't force dependents to leave before Nov so we dont have to send Aria back early.
    Oh okay! Well in that case, that things go smoothly for November.

<3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3
  9. Married to Airman
    Married to Airman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
    Travis AFB! Any advice on where to live? We will for sure live off base just not sure what area is the best. I really don't know anything about the base or location.
    We loved the area a lot. In fact, that's where we are planning to retire =). Like others said, Suisun and Vacaville are good area to live in, a lot of people I knew bought houses there. Not sure if you have kids but if you do, I read that Vacaville has the best school/s in the area(don't live in Fairfield!).

Where should I start about the area... ok, there are many shopping and restaurants around. Vacaville outlet is like 15mins from the base. If you like wine, there are 2(or more now) wineries close by which seem like they serve food now too. If you really love wine, Napa and Sonoma is about an hour or less drive. There are hot spring spa in Calistoga as well. Lake Tahoe is about 2 hours away, Yosemite from what I remember was about 4 hours away, San Francisco is an hour, Sacramento is an hour or less, San Jose 2 hours, Vegas isn't too far either and Grand Canyon. Oh, and if you like winter sports, the mountains about 2 hours away and they give out free tkts for skiing for active duty members. Monterey I heard is really nice to go for a day trip (but we never made it there), Muir Woods & Sausalito are good day trips. Mt. Diablo is a really good hike. We lived in Fairfield and 10 minutes away from our apartment had a hiking trail which we would go on every weekend or so. Of course, the weather is to die for(except the summer wildfires). I loved the mild winter and all year sunny but yet we were able to enjoy the snow just couple hours away. Overall, there are so much to do in that area! I don't think you'll ever run out of stuff to do.

Seafood City in Vallejo has cheap seafood and good Filipino restaurants.

Sorry for the rambling, I just got too excited lol.
  10. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    My fiance is from South San Francisco, and I grew up in Petaluma (Sonoma County) and he has been stationed here since I met him more than two years ago. So I moved in with him on base. But we are very familiar with ALL the area's around here if you have any questions about anything! Petaluma, Napa, Sonoma, Rohnert Park and Santa Rosa are all really great towns, with a ton of restaurants, bars, places for kids, parks, hiking and other fun things to do. And are definitly on the "safe" side. I would not recommend LIVING in Fairfield (which is the town the airbase is in) unless you live on base then that is fine, but venturing off base can get a little sketchy. So, Vacaville and Suisun are cute (parts) and cheaper. Sacramento also has alot of things to do, but if you or your signigicant other are going to be working on travis, Sacramento can be a little far of a drive. A little outside fairfield also is Cordelia, and Green Valley. These two are VERY small town, but still close to base and dining/shopping etc. Hope that helps!