Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We got orders to San Diego!

1. Champagne Supernova
    Champagne Supernova

We got orders to San Diego!

Advertisements
    I can't believe it. I'm so excited and terrified at the same time. I've heard it's great, and although we weren't hoping to make a move like that I can't wait to see what its like.

So how the hell do we do this!? Finding a place across country is going to be so stressful. We plan to just find a short apt lease so that once we get out there we can explore, but I dont even know where to start.

Any suggestions?

I can't believe this! Aahhh!
  2. Senior Member
    I moved here from Philly in April of 2014. It was a big move but it has been great and the weather is unbeatable!

Why is it that you want an apartment with a short lease? Moving once is hard enough, I wouldn't want to do it twice within a few years! Plus you can do a lot of research before you get here to identify areas that you'd like.

In terms of where to start, I'd determine a budget and figure out whee you'd like to live. Do you want to live by the beach? If so you will generally pay more and get a smaller outdated house. Do you want to live downtown? It will be smaller but walk able which is good with 1 car families. Do you want a house or apartment? Where will you be working?

I always check out the city data website to help with my search. San Diego Forum - Relocation, Moving, General and Local City Discussions - City-Data Forum
  3. Champagne Supernova
    Champagne Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna*Banana View Post
    I moved here from Philly in April of 2014. It was a big move but it has been great and the weather is unbeatable!

Why is it that you want an apartment with a short lease? Moving once is hard enough, I wouldn't want to do it twice within a few years! Plus you can do a lot of research before you get here to identify areas that you'd like.

In terms of where to start, I'd determine a budget and figure out whee you'd like to live. Do you want to live by the beach? If so you will generally pay more and get a smaller outdated house. Do you want to live downtown? It will be smaller but walk able which is good with 1 car families. Do you want a house or apartment? Where will you be working?

I always check out the city data website to help with my search. San Diego Forum - Relocation, Moving, General and Local City Discussions - City-Data Forum
    The only reason we were thinking apartment first was because I'm thinking it'll be hard to get a feel for the area while still being here I'm FL. I'd hate to get a house and make that commitment and then find we made a mistake and liked another area more. You do bring up a good point that doing two moves in a short time will suck - so that's something to think about. It'll just be hard to budget as I know it's more expensive there and I'm not positive yet how much our bah will increase/what I'll be getting paid once I find a job.

I definitely plan to research , I just dont know where to start. Its very overwhelming. But thank you for that link! I'll check it out .
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Farfalla View Post
    The only reason we were thinking apartment first was because I'm thinking it'll be hard to get a feel for the area while still being here I'm FL. I'd hate to get a house and make that commitment and then find we made a mistake and liked another area more. You do bring up a good point that doing two moves in a short time will suck - so that's something to think about. It'll just be hard to budget as I know it's more expensive there and I'm not positive yet how much our bah will increase/what I'll be getting paid once I find a job.

I definitely plan to research , I just dont know where to start. Its very overwhelming. But thank you for that link! I'll check it out .
    If your ultimate goal is to buy a home then I do suggest you rent before you buy. However, if your time here is temporary, I'd caution against buying. The homes are very expensive and unless you can commit to a place for at least 5 years it is generally not a great idea. Also FYI, you should be able to figure out what your BAH will be pretty easily with a quick google search.

I'd start by googling and asking around! We got lucky and found an affordable place on Coronado. We have a lot of friends that live downtown or in North Park/Hilcrest. We have a few friends that live in the burbs but they generally have kids and need more space. Happy to answer questions and give guidance where I can!
  5. Senior Member
    BAH is very high in San Diego, though so are housing prices. What base will he be stationed at? There are a bunch in the San Diego area.

I would ask around (here is a good place to start) and tell people what is important to you and what you like in an area, and get a list of maybe 3-5 neighborhoods that would work. Then just stay in a hotel for a few weeks while you explore and check out those neighborhoods and look for rentals. You can probably book a TLF on base now, if you know your dates. If you are a PCS-in, they let you book in advance, so make sure you tell them that. You might be able to find cheaper places. I think we are paying $100/night for the Navy Lodge in Coronado, but it's on the beach! There may be cheaper options on other bases, or out in town.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. Champagne Supernova
    Champagne Supernova
    DH is getting stationed to North Island on Coronado. We'd love to be by the beach (depending on how much - I know it'll be considerably more) or an eclectic side of town. If anyone is familiar with Jacksonville I'm thinking RIverside feel. From what I heard, traffic will be terrible getting on and off the island so id like to avoid other traffic on top of that if possible. We aren't looking to buy, but rent. Ideally a house with a yard since we have a Lab,but he's use to apartment living with exercise.
  7. Senior Member
    If you want slightly cheaper beaches, check Imperial Beach (which is south of Coronado) or Pacific Beach. Both tend to have slightly more property crime than other areas and are still pricey because it is the beach, but they are closer to NASNI and cheaper compared to other beach cities.

If you want eclectic, check out North Park, Kensington, Hillcrest, and areas around there. Or downtown, which has a bunch of neighborhoods as well, so stuff is often listed as "East Village", "Little Italy", etc., instead of just "downtown". Pretty much houses with yards there, though. If you want single family with a yard, depending on his rank (and BAH) it might be hard to do that to stay with in BAH including utilities, and still close to the island, especially if you don't want extreme suburbia.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    The South Park neighborhood is undergoing intense gentrification right now and it's super lovely and eclectic and full of weird little stores and cafes. My favorite Belgian pub, waxing studio, and chocolate factory are all in South Park Might be a bit of a drive out to Coronado though.

Also, I would look for a place with A/C. There are people who are like "ohhh it's SD, you don't need A/C!" but the last few years have been the hottest on record and the climate change is making A/C a necessity. Last October it was 80-90 degrees most days, it was awful. The closer you are to the beach, the less likely the apartment will offer A/C, just FYI.

Just yesterday it was over 100 at the beach, with high humidity (over 110 in the desert/mountains). Half the schools had to close because it was 100-110 degrees inside the classrooms. For DH and I, A/C has always been non-negotiable since it's like impossible for us to sleep when it's disgusting out.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  9. Champagne Supernova
    Champagne Supernova
    Thank you for that info rocket - I never would of even thought about the a/c! Bums me out the summers have been hotter - I keep hearing how great the weather is.
  10. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor

Eeee, excellent! So jealous. I daydream of living in Cali.

<3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast