Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving Home

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Moving Home

Advertisements
    So DH will get out in December and we're moving back home to TX and I have about a billion questions.

The military will pay for this, right? He's "from" (he lived there a few years before enlisting) San Antonio, so will the military would pay for our stuff to get sent there? Or could we send it to Houston, where we want to go?

How does the whole car situation work? Can they tow one of them or will we have to drive separately? I really don't want us both to make the 28 hour drive if we don't have to if not we'll just have to suck it up.

We want to split up the drive and either do 2 or 3 days of driving to make it easier. We'll likely stay at BIL's house for one night since they're about 7 hours south of us and then hotels the next night or two. I know we need to save receipts and whatnot, but how does all of that work? I was seeing stuff about flat rates and that confused me.

DH went to a TAPS thing and will probably go again before we leave as a refresher, but I was still confused about some of the things.

Annnnny help/advice would be awesome. This will be my first move where I didn't just pack up my car
  2. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Is SA his HOR (home of record)?

From what I remember, the military will pay to move you up to as far away as the HOR. So if Houston is fewer miles, you can go there. If it's further away, you have to pay out of pocket for the difference but I have noooo idea how that would happen.

I highly recommend he do the VA disability stuff before getting out. You can do it 180 to 60 days before his date. Benefits Delivery at Discharge (BDD) - Pre-Discharge This way you guys won't have to wait like a year to find out if he's going to get any disability compensation.

If he has any medical issues that aren't in his record, now's the time to get them recorded and looked at, too.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  3. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    When DH got out they moved everything to where we wanted to go as long as it wasn't must further than where they'd be moving us to move us to his HOR. We were doing a coast to coast trip to get to what just happened to be his HOP so we could of picked anywhere between San Diego CA and Tampa Florida and they would of moved us there. Then if we wanted to go further we would of been responsible for getting the stuff the rest of the way there.

For the cars you have to pay some out of pocket even to move one I THINK.. Don't quote me on that since it might have changed(DH got out with one of the last big budget cuts about 3 years ago.) You can call and ask them what it would cost if anything for you. They may move one car though but when we moved they said it would of cost money even for one car. Then I didn't like the idea of getting the car who knows when. We were moving in a time frame where we NEEDED to have both of us with a car within days of making it to Florida. So we just drove both cars, and that worked out way better for us anyways. Since we could pack more stuff we'd need with 3 ish days of making it here. Happy we did moving truck took just over 13days to make it here with our stuff. Worst cost that came from driving both cars was his car got a flat half way through Texas on I-10.

Signature removed due to size.
  4. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    They will move you to Houston since it is closer than SA.
    They will not pay to ship a car, if you want reimbursement for both cars you will need to drive them.

As far as how long it takes to get there, (unless its changed) it is roughly 8rs of driving, which is average 350-400 miles a day. So, if Texas is 1500 miles, it will take approx. 4 days to get there.. this is what they will pay you for.

It is similar to a PCS, but there are some things that won't get reimbursed. I would go back to the TAPS class with your questions and ask them while you are there, or get a POC so you can call with the questions.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    Is SA his HOR (home of record)?

From what I remember, the military will pay to move you up to as far away as the HOR. So if Houston is fewer miles, you can go there. If it's further away, you have to pay out of pocket for the difference but I have noooo idea how that would happen.

I highly recommend he do the VA disability stuff before getting out. You can do it 180 to 60 days before his date. Benefits Delivery at Discharge (BDD) - Pre-Discharge This way you guys won't have to wait like a year to find out if he's going to get any disability compensation.

If he has any medical issues that aren't in his record, now's the time to get them recorded and looked at, too.
    I think SA is his HOR...that's where he lived up until he left for boot camp, where he did all his MEPS stuff, etc. Houston's about a 4 hour drive from SA, but I think we'd be storing stuff near SA anyway.

Oh awesome, thanks for the disability info! He's gotten his bad knees on file but idk what all he's done with that.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    They will move you to Houston since it is closer than SA.
    They will not pay to ship a car, if you want reimbursement for both cars you will need to drive them.

As far as how long it takes to get there, (unless its changed) it is roughly 8rs of driving, which is average 350-400 miles a day. So, if Texas is 1500 miles, it will take approx. 4 days to get there.. this is what they will pay you for.

It is similar to a PCS, but there are some things that won't get reimbursed. I would go back to the TAPS class with your questions and ask them while you are there, or get a POC so you can call with the questions.
    Okay so we'd get paid for the amount of miles we drive?
  7. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    #1- Like PP said, if SA is his HOR, and it is closer than Houston, they will pay for you guys to move there.

#2-Start VA stuff ASAP. Fucking ASAP. Its so fucking annoying. And have him do the stuff he will be required to do as soon as you get to Houston. Again, so much easier.

#3- HE NEVER EMAILED ME WHY DOESNT HE LOVE ME

#4- For disability, make sure he doesn't man up. Make him be a baby and have him tell them every small cut, ache or sore he has/has ever had. Seriously, it makes a difference.
  8. Moooooo!!
    Moooooo!!
    Make sure to stop by my house on y'all's way.

That's my only input.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    #1- Like PP said, if SA is his HOR, and it is closer than Houston, they will pay for you guys to move there.

#2-Start VA stuff ASAP. Fucking ASAP. Its so fucking annoying. And have him do the stuff he will be required to do as soon as you get to Houston. Again, so much easier.

#3- HE NEVER EMAILED ME WHY DOESNT HE LOVE ME

#4- For disability, make sure he doesn't man up. Make him be a baby and have him tell them every small cut, ache or sore he has/has ever had. Seriously, it makes a difference.
    #2 and #4 BIG THUMBS UP.

Also, tell him to get copies of his medical records. The VA loses so much shit. It's pathetic.
  10. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    #2 and #4 BIG THUMBS UP.

Also, tell him to get copies of his medical records. The VA loses so much shit. It's pathetic.
    Yes to the "document every illness, pain, hangnail." It makes a difference in the disability process, which I didn't know up front.

And stuff got lost from DH's file. We know because we had a copy.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast