Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Move day: what do you do?

1. Senior Member

Move day: what do you do?

Advertisements
    I think I've got a decent process for preparing for a move, right up until the morning it begins. After that, I never know what to do. I want to kind of keep an eye on them to make sure they aren't doing stuff I don't want (like tossing shoes in with my clean linens), but it feels weird to sit in the room and stare at them while they work.

What do you do on move day? Do you constantly make rounds? Stay in one place away from the action and do a pass through all the active rooms every 10-15 minutes? Ignore them completely?

I know some people do different colored tape or marks on the box for each room. At what point do you do that?

Do you have any way of tracking boxes that leave the house to make sure they are inventoried? As a precaution against misdirected boxes, I plan to put an address label on each one. It's not ideal as they are our current address, but I have so many of them and they are no good, and any letter sent to that address would be forwarded to us.

This may be a stupid question, but if anyone would share how they spend the move day, I'd appreciate it.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  2. Regular Member
    I am hopefully about to fact this - so don't have anything to really offer, but I"ll be watching
    If it were me, I'd seal off the rooms that have "do not move" items in them the night before the movers arrive.
    we have a tiny places, so there won't really be anywhere for me to go while they pack, so -- that takes care of that
    Great idea on the mailing labels --
  3. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Drink beer.

life's a party, rock your body
  4. Senior Member
    Absolutely nothing.

I hide in a back bedroom and watch TV. I occasionally walk out and ask if they need anything. I am the complete opposite of a hover-er in this situation.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  5. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    Absolutely nothing.

I hide in a back bedroom and watch TV. I occasionally walk out and ask if they need anything. I am the complete opposite of a hover-er in this situation.
    Same here. Both times I used movers, I only had a small one bedroom apartment so me even being in there would've been a pain. I separate things into my "do not take" pile and then sit outside or out of the way. I may do one pass through while they're still packing, but definitely one at the end. Especially the last time I used movers, they didn't get that "pack everything except for this pile" really meant "PACK EVERYTHING except for this pile" They filled out all the inventory sheets so if I needed to know where anything was, I'd just look through those.
    ~Becca~

6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    Absolutely nothing.

This. I am more concerned with the unloading. So right now, as I sit waiting for the truck to come back, I am hoping there is enough space in the spare room for all the boxes.

When I say "come back" I mean come back. We moved across the street. Actually, really, right out the back door, cross the street, and into the new house. But instead of just bringing everything over, they had to load the truck, get it weighed, and then come back and unload.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by fraujennyy View Post
    Drink beer.
    This.

I let them earn their money.

We had one move where the husband discovered the packers were bad at their job and he called his TMO contact, they got there and started inspecting some boxes, fired them, made some calls and a new company arrived the next morning.
  8. Senior Member
    We are not going to move everything, so I don't know if this is relevant or not. Most of the furniture and appliances in our house right now won't be making the trip with us. We are not using movers, we are going to do all the packing ourselves, and get a one way trailer rental, and that can be pulled with DF's pickup truck. We are planning to mark the boxes for the rooms.

If we were using movers, I'd definitely use the labels like you said, and make rounds, I wouldn't ignore them completely. Maybe I should, I'm just not that trusting in people I don't know.
  9. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I didn't really hover, but I did hang out in the living room so I could see everything they were taking out the front door. It was actually all over much more quickly than I anticipated, those guys are very efficient at their jobs!
  10. Senior Member
    I separated the items that I didn't want moved and then I took the littles and went to lunch and the hubby stayed with the movers.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast