Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PCS vets get in here!

1. Senior Member

PCS vets get in here!

Advertisements
    Monday is the day we start the packing process. So the Packers will be here Monday - Wednesday. I want to go through my house this weekend and take pictures of everything and start separating what will go now vs UAB (also what all do YOU ship in your UAB). What else should I be doing? Spam me with suggestions please!
  2. Senior Member
    Does your gaining base have a lending locker? Will you be taking delivery in your hotel or not until you move to your house (and do you plan to live on or off base)?

Pack one set of towels and bed linens. (If you think you'll be using loaner beds for a while, try to find out size and see if you have sheets that will fit, or come close.) A trash can. Two lamps. Laundry basket. One or two pots and pans, and basic utensils (spatula, etc.). Extra clothes. Toys for kids if you have them. Consider including a bike or bikes. Maybe a coffee pot. Folding table and chairs if you have them.

You can do a search here for more comprehensive UAB lists.

Are you sending your UAB after HHG? It sounds like it. That's a bit unusual so if it is the case, be prepared for the fact that sometimes, the two shipments take the same amount of time (or even UAB takes longer), so make sure you have enough in both shipments to get by. Some people make the mistake of putting all their pots and pans in their UAB, and then they get HHG first can are out of luck. The lending locker (or whatever it is called) probably has kitchen stuff, so it isn't the end of the world, but it's always nice to have your own stuff.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Regular Member

so excited for you - I'll be watching this close-like!
  4. Senior Member
    Vil pretty much said it all.

Also, don't forget to:
    - Take the batteries out of EVERYTHING. Nothing is worse than going to use a remote that has battery acid all over it.
    - Separate flammables and liquids from your stuff-- some movers will just pack it up even though they're not supposed to.
    - Put all the cords for an item in a ziplock bag and label it. It was confusing for me the look at a pile full of cables and figure out which one went to what electronic.

5. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    Vil pretty much said it all.

Also, don't forget to:
    - Take the batteries out of EVERYTHING. Nothing is worse than going to use a remote that has battery acid all over it.
    - Separate flammables and liquids from your stuff-- some movers will just pack it up even though they're not supposed to.
    - Put all the cords for an item in a ziplock bag and label it. It was confusing for me the look at a pile full of cables and figure out which one went to what electronic.
    oh that is a great idea re: ziplocks for cables -- I have a labeler and generally label every cord so that when I go to unplug things, I don't unplug the important thing!
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by milchel View Post
    oh that is a great idea re: ziplocks for cables -- I have a labeler and generally label every cord so that when I go to unplug things, I don't unplug the important thing!
    I had to start doing that! We have so many random cords that I can't figure out what they go to . I should know these things

7. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Request a box only for hardware to your furniture. The hardware to my bed never turned up and we have no idea what they did with it. Luckily, my bed was from IKEA and we were able to get all the parts replaced for $5.

Put your silver wear in a ziplock bag. It was so nice not having every single fork, knife, and spoon wrapped separately.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbynormal View Post
    Request a box only for hardware to your furniture. The hardware to my bed never turned up and we have no idea what they did with it. Luckily, my bed was from IKEA and we were able to get all the parts replaced for $5.

Put your silver wear in a ziplock bag. It was so nice not having every single fork, knife, and spoon wrapped separately.
    Yesssss! Great advice!

And put your keys in you purse and keep your purse on you. I had my keys packed once and it sucked trying to find them.

9. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    Yesssss! Great advice!

And put your keys in you purse and keep your purse on you. I had my keys packed once and it sucked trying to find them.
    Yeah, someone here (possibly you?) gave me that advice and it was ssoooooo nice not dealing with that!
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbynormal View Post
    Yeah, someone here (possibly you?) gave me that advice and it was ssoooooo nice not dealing with that!
    It probably was me!

And keep whatever you're taking with you in a locked room or in your car.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast