Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TLE/Per Diem/BAH Questions for Remote to Overseas PCS

1. Regular Member

TLE/Per Diem/BAH Questions for Remote to Overseas PCS

Advertisements
    I'm renting a house with a friend in NJ while my husband is on a remote in Korea. The lease on the house will be up next April 30. My friend told me last night that is not going to renew the lease. My husband will be back in the states on June 9. So I have some things to think about for those 40ish days I'll need to stay somewhere.

1) I can just ask our landlord to extend me 45 days or so in the house. Shouldn't be any problem. But my friend won't be in the house to split the rent so I'll be on the hook for all of it plus the utilities for that time.

2) My friend's brother may move into the house. I'd be able to stay and split the bills, but it may be a while before he decides and I'd worry about him changing his mind at the last minute. She's going to talk to him about it this weekend.

3) I can find an extended stay hotel that accepts pets (2 dogs). Problem with this is that all the hotels in my area (shore) are very expensive & therefore not doable. So I need to search the whole state for extended stay places, but odds are it will be far away, and so I'll have to quit my job (grocery store) once the lease on the house is up.

So in order to vet these options, I need a better understanding of how entitlements are going to work. We are PCSing to Ramstein once my husband gets home. I'm shipping HHG 2 months in advance, so about 2 weeks before the lease is up. So how will per diem/TLE/BAH work once HHG are gone? TIA
  2. Senior Member
    IME, the time you ship your stuff has nothing to do with any of the allowances. So it won't matter that your stuff is gone. You'll keep getting BAH just as you are now. I think you can get a few days of TLA or TLE (I always mix them up) on the CONUS side when coming OCONUS, but that would be it.

Do you have a friend you could stay with for 6ish weeks? They might be happy to get some extra cash, and it would save you money.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Regular Member
    Thanks Villanelle. If that's the case, then I need to just extend with the landlord and stay in the house til we go to Germany. The nearest base lodging would cost double the household rent plus I'd lose my job income. Even if my friend's brother doesn't move in, it's the most financially sound option by far.
  4. Senior Member
    villanelle is correct, when you ship your stuff has no bearing on these allowances. BAH would continue at whatever rate is currently is at until he signed into Rammstein. TLE is stateside and it would be for a maximum of 10 days. Per diem on a CONUS to OCONUS move will probably be about 1 day to allow you to get to the airport.
  5. Senior Member
    You might consider not shipping your stuff quite so early. Get your UAB shipment out and wait a few more weeks to send the HHG. Your UAB can have everything you need to live, and I'm certain Ramstein has a lending locker from which you can borrow basic furniture and a kitchen pack, assuming you are out of the hotel before your HHG arrives.
  6. Regular Member
    I'm pretty much decided on actually doing just one shipment, just HHG. I talked it over with my best friend who has a PCS to Italy under her belt and it seems to make the most sense. We have very little to ship from the states. Literally all we have is a mattress, small kitchen cart, some clothes & some pots/pans. My husband has some other kitchen stuff with him in Korea but not much at all. (Long story short, we had to sell everything when we left our last base.) Is there any point really to do a separate UAB shipment?
  7. Regular Member
    I'm planning to send everything early because not having the stuff stateside for 2 months won't be a huge deal since I'm living with a friend & she has everything else I need for daily living for those 2 months. She'll be moving out a month or so before me, but even still I can hang on to a few things I may need til then & give her the stuff back right before we leave. I'm going to get an air mattress & that's all I'll really need, and I'll take it with me in a suitcase. I'd much rather send our HHG early so we'll be able to settle in quickly if we're lucky enough to get a house quickly.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrolla View Post
    I'm renting a house with a friend in NJ while my husband is on a remote in Korea. The lease on the house will be up next April 30. My friend told me last night that is not going to renew the lease. My husband will be back in the states on June 9. So I have some things to think about for those 40ish days I'll need to stay somewhere.

1) I can just ask our landlord to extend me 45 days or so in the house. Shouldn't be any problem. But my friend won't be in the house to split the rent so I'll be on the hook for all of it plus the utilities for that time.

2) My friend's brother may move into the house. I'd be able to stay and split the bills, but it may be a while before he decides and I'd worry about him changing his mind at the last minute. She's going to talk to him about it this weekend.

3) I can find an extended stay hotel that accepts pets (2 dogs). Problem with this is that all the hotels in my area (shore) are very expensive & therefore not doable. So I need to search the whole state for extended stay places, but odds are it will be far away, and so I'll have to quit my job (grocery store) once the lease on the house is up.

So in order to vet these options, I need a better understanding of how entitlements are going to work. We are PCSing to Ramstein once my husband gets home. I'm shipping HHG 2 months in advance, so about 2 weeks before the lease is up. So how will per diem/TLE/BAH work once HHG are gone? TIA
    Nothing changes allowance wise (amount of BAH or family sep) just because your goods are gone.

That said, does he have his hard copy orders for you to be able to ship your HHGs that early? Do you have a POA to set everything up even if he has his hard copies? And after that you need to find out from someone who has done a PCS to Germany what is typical for what they allow you to store your HHGs if you don't get a place right away etc. I would only do one shipment if you only have a little bit of stuff, but how everything works over there would really make my decision for me.
  9. Regular Member
    Yep I have POAs to cover all bases & a great contact over at the nearest base to help me through anything I need. I didn't think about orders needing to come at least 3 months out to send HHG 2 months ahead, so thanks for reminding me of that. We do know a couple people over at Ramstein now, so we'll ask them about how their stuff was stored. Thanks!
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrolla View Post
    I'm pretty much decided on actually doing just one shipment, just HHG. I talked it over with my best friend who has a PCS to Italy under her belt and it seems to make the most sense. We have very little to ship from the states. Literally all we have is a mattress, small kitchen cart, some clothes & some pots/pans. My husband has some other kitchen stuff with him in Korea but not much at all. (Long story short, we had to sell everything when we left our last base.) Is there any point really to do a separate UAB shipment?
    Do you plan to live on or off base (not sure what is current policy at Ramstein)?

What's the reason to *not* to a UAB? It's really not extra trouble. The movers will likely be in and out in an hour or two. If nothing else, it allows you to hedge your bets so that hopefully at least one of yoru shipments is waiting for you, even if you send them at the same time. Also, you can have UAB delivered at the hotel (check the Ramstein hotel for their policy, and ask if they have small storage available to you). If you plan on living off base (and are allowed to do so), having a bit more stuff in the hotel can be great.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast