Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Unaccompanied PCS questions

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Duh Unaccompanied PCS questions

Advertisements
    So my husband has an unaccompanied PCS coming up. We have already done our levy briefing and are STILL waiting on the hard copy orders! I need to clear housing and move before Aug 1st and still....no orders. Can't talk to anyone or set up transportation for moving without having those orders!

My main question is...If we clear housing here before moving back to our HOR (say July 30th) before the paycheck goes out will we receive BAH for our HOR on the 1st of Aug or on the 15th of Aug? this matters because I need to clear housing THAT week and move to my new place by Aug 1st and I will need that BAH for bills. I can't leave sooner due to court hearing and important family event that I need to be here for. Is there a way to set up a BAH start up date with finance based on when we are moving? I don't want to move and then not receive my BAH for HOR on the 1st and be paying A LOT of out of pocket expenses that I can't afford to pay if we want to survive. This would be so much easier WITH THOSE ORDERS!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    You can't do anything until you are in processing at your next duty station.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  3. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    BAH will not process unitl you have cleared housing, and it is generally 30 days, or if you happen to clear before BAH is calculated, which is often the 6th and 20th of the month. So, if you cleared housing today (6/24) the earliest you'd see BAH would be 15 July, and quite possibly not until 1 Aug. If he is PCSing though, he should still get DLA, and he can request an advance on that and get partial, that could allow you to get enough for bills and such.

I am not sure if you have been informed of the nuisances of unaccompanied orders and BAH? BAH isn't always where you live, depending on how the orders are written, it could be based on where you are currently (his exiting base), or where he is going.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  4. Senior Member
    You also need to consider how you pay for your housing at your current location. If you are paying in arrears, the BAH the military member receives on the 1st of the month goes towards the housing for the prior month. So, you need to look at the paperwork you signed when you moved into housing.
  5. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    You also need to consider how you pay for your housing at your current location. If you are paying in arrears, the BAH the military member receives on the 1st of the month goes towards the housing for the prior month. So, you need to look at the paperwork you signed when you moved into housing.
    Good point.. forgot about that.

OP, remember you can clear housing whenever, you don't need orders. However, BAH will be at the right of his current orders if he doesn't have new ones, and it will still take the 6-8 weeks to process. And do keep in mind what dekeoboe says...

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't