Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When do you find out where you will go?

1. Regular Member

When do you find out where you will go?

Advertisements
    First of all, I just want to say how grateful I am for you! It's so nice to be able to come on this forum and ask questions and get answers and advice! Thank you all for helping me as we start our journey. =)

So my next question is when do they typically tell you where your first duty station is? Since DH is waiting for bar results before he starts AF JAG in October, we have to wait til then for our first duty station. But is there a chance they will even tell us this summer some time where that station will be? Or will they wait til bar results come in? If it's going to be OCONUS won't they give us enough notice to get the family all squared away with our medical screenings? I love the anticipation of this and the surprise of where we'll go, just curious about a timeline. =)
  2. Senior Member
    My best guess would be that they won't tell you where until the bar results come in because they can't be assured everyone will pass, so it would be a waste of time to create a slate of who is going where, only to have to change it if even a few people don't pass.

You should be doing everything you can now to be ready for the screen. I know we'd discussed this in other threads, but that includes getting dental cleanings for everyone (and fixing any problems), getting up to date on all shots, getting an HIV and TB test (which you might not need, but it's better to have it and not need it than vice versa), having a current pap smear, and having copies of your medical records.

Also, if you have pets, start preparing them as that is a long and complicated process.

If they need him ASAP and he gets overseas orders, there is always a chance he will go without you, and you and the kids will have to follow later when the screen is done and you have your no-fee passports. (Your DH won't get a no-fee.) That happens.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Regular Member
    Okay. I was thinking the same thing about the bar results and not wasting their time assigning duty stations yet, but I was just curious if anyone had been assigned a spot tentatively. But yes, this makes sense!

How do people remember every issue to get a medical record for? I mean, is it just for big stuff like surgeries and lab results for pap smears and such? I got carbon monoxide poisoning once and had to be hospitalized...do I need to track that down too? I have all my vaccine records already.
  4. Senior Member
    You don't have to remember every issue. Call your doctor and ask for a complete copy of your record. They will photocopy it for you (and may charge you a fee). That will include everything from every time you have visited them. For the most part, they likely know about all your procedures and it will be in the record, because you likely did follow up with them, mentioned it, or something. If not, that's okay. But that's what you need--a copy of your medical record from your regular doctor, or doctors if you've changed.

You don't need the records from every hospitalization. You will, however, have to fill out a form (one for you and for each kid) that asked a zillion "have you ever..." questions. It will ask about every broken bone, every hospitalization, everything for which you've been treated, and more. So it will ask "have you ever been hopsitalized" and you would have to check yes. There's a section at the end where you have to include a write up for any question for which you said yes, so you'd write. "Question 28: Hospitalized in 2009 for carbon monoxide poisoning." If the person reviewing your record for clearance wants more info, she will ask for it.

Also, many of the questions on the form are not time limited. I had to check that I had broken a bone because I broke my wrist when I was 7.
  5. Regular Member
    Thanks villanelle!
  6. Senior Member
    Our screening was pretty vague. At they time they were requiring everyone to get DD 2792's filled out for everyone wanting command sponsorship. We just brought those in with us signed by our doctor and then they asked questions. We didn't bring any records and they didn't ask for any records except my cancer records since it was within a few years.

It's normal for people to have issues getting CS done in time for their first duty stations because they often only find out a month or two in advance.
  7. Senior Member
    Have you been to Judge Advocate General: FAQs?

If you scroll down you will see this:
    Q. Will I know my duty station before I enter active duty?
    A. Yes. You will be informed of your base assignment prior to entering active duty. You only incur a service obligation after you agree to your assignment.
  8. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    Have you been to Judge Advocate General: FAQs?

If you scroll down you will see this:
    Q. Will I know my duty station before I enter active duty?
    A. Yes. You will be informed of your base assignment prior to entering active duty. You only incur a service obligation after you agree to your assignment.
    Yes, I did read that previously. I was just curious if you find out like a day before, or 2 months before. =)
  9. Senior Member
    What is the timeline for when he's supposed to officially commission (enter active duty) and when the bar results come out?
  10. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    What is the timeline for when he's supposed to officially commission (enter active duty) and when the bar results come out?
    I think bar results are expected between october 9-16th. And he was told he'd start right away (I guess that means within a few weeks?).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast