Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Suicides at BMT??

1. My Airman is kind of a big deal!
    My Airman is kind of a big deal!

Suicides at BMT??

Advertisements
    So, I went out with a friend last night that went through Army basic a few years ago. She got to telling me while she was down there 3 girls commited suicide and 2 others tried! I was just wondering is that a common thing in bmt?? I didn't know if just harder for some girls or maybe it was just an odd case... Anyway I'm curious if anyone else knows of anything like this.
  2. MIA for awhile...
    MIA for awhile...
    I'd say its pretty common. BT can be very stressful.

Some people are just a natural to that kind of environment and don't even think of it, but some people just can't hack the pressure.

My DHs friend tried to commit suicide by jumping out of a 4th story window a few weeks before they deployed in 2005.. he survived, with a broken leg, lots of counselling and i think a demotion.
    Blame your man, not Myspace!!
    Simmy 2009. All rights reserved, copy it and you die.
    Bite me! PLEASE! I want to be a vampire

3. Epic
    Epic

Neither DH or I heard of or knew anyone who tried to, or did. commit suicide while we were in BMT. There was a guy in my brother flight wo said he was going to commit suicide but the only reason he said that was because he wanted to get out of the Air Force.
  4. Cherrish
    I know very normally extremely cheerful best friend came back from BMT (after being medically discharged...he can go back to BMT right where he left off next year), he was WAYYYY depressed.
    He's a small guy to begin with, weighing only 130 lbs. when he went in. By the time he'd gotten back, they'd placed him on a eating waiver because he was down to 114 lbs.

I guess its fair to say that it's depressing, so I wouldn't be surprised if suicides were common.
  5. Happy little tree
    Happy little tree
    Oh yeah it happens a lot. DH had 5-6 girls in his platoon try...but I don't think anyone succeeded.

Keep up with all of our adventures with renovating a 1960s ranch house - check out MY BLOG!

6. New MOMMY and LOVING it !!!!
    New MOMMY and LOVING it !!!!
    I never heard of that happening.... I have heard of a few people jumping off the side of the of ships.
  7. My Airman is kind of a big deal!
    My Airman is kind of a big deal!
    That seems so crazy. I really had know idea. My dh is a really upbeat, high spirited guy, but under these circumstances I really don't know. It would be nice to hear from him, it's almost 3 weeks.
  8. LovinMyNicaragua
    yes, its very common that alot of females go through those type of issues one of my supervisors was a drill sgt and she said she had alot of women/men committ sucide over not going home for the holidays usually she said around the holidays they let them go on passes but, their are patients who been rape as well due to BCT so, it depends on the person and what they are experiencing. Its sad but, alot of those girls dont really talk about whats going on til they see someone and most likely the rape isnt reported til after 1 yr it has happen. Sad::::
  9. LovinMyNicaragua
    another thing is if a SM ( soldier member) is sucidal they are usually chapter out sometimes its usually a chapter 8 or a chapter 14 depends on the insanity and the MEB board. Sorry im not much help.
  10. AheeOo, Killer Tofu!
    AheeOo, Killer Tofu!
    Blog Entries
    jumping off the sides of ships ??? thats scary.
    You don't choose your family...they are God's gift to you