Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: custody of child

1. BGsWIFE

custody of child

Advertisements
    Ok my question is if you are a single parent, would you have to give up your child while you are in boot camp only? So basically it would only be a temporary situation or would it be like that for the duration of the time signed for? I am hoping someone will be able to help me out. I am not asking for myself but for a friend. TIA
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    from my understanding if you are the single parent or guardian of an underage/minor child then you cannot enlist. i may be wrong but that was my understanding
  3. Senior Member
    I went through this 5 years ago. You have to give up full guardianship and legal custody permantly. Giving up POA of a minor child isn't enough.

This guardianship must stay in effect through tech school. There are ways around it after tech school, but it's really long and complicated. Basically you would have to go in front of a JAG board, and explain why your child is in harm's way, and why they should allow you to persue a custody change.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    You have to give temporary guardianship to someone while you are in basic training. Afterwards you can have custody but have to have a dependency care plan in your record with child care arrangements for when you are deployed.

I'm thinking it might be different fro different services
    Visit my Etsy shop - All Ribboned Out
    Guy meets girl
  5. BGsWIFE
    Quote Originally Posted by Ste9 View Post
    You have to give temporary guardianship to someone while you are in basic training. Afterwards you can have custody but have to have a dependency care plan in your record with child care arrangements for when you are deployed.

I hope that this is the case..... I guess I would need to contact a recruiter to make sure.....right?
  6. bunkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Ste9 View Post

Thats it is for us in the Army at least!
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BGsWIFE View Post
    I hope that this is the case..... I guess I would need to contact a recruiter to make sure.....right?
    Be very very careful with what a recruiter tells you about custody of a child, giving up custody, and getting it back!!!

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TEMPORARY CUSTODY! Only temporary guardianship... Once you give up custody, it's for keeps... A recruiter might not not be honest about that.. My recruiter was not...

The reasoning behind that is because you would still be legally responsible for your child, and the guardian can change their mind at any time. You could be 2 weeks into boot, and the guardian can say, "I don't wanna do this anymore, here's your kid."

If you have given up custody, you may enlist, if you only give up guardianship, they won't let you.. Guardianship and custody are totally different..

Talk to a lawyer before you talk to a recruiter..