Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: SICILY, SIGONELLA Anybody there or been there

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

SICILY, SIGONELLA Anybody there or been there

Advertisements
    Anybody been there or are there now?

Would like some info on there.

Is is good for families? What is the housing situation like? Cost of living? Any other info you could give!

Dh will be up for orders in a few weeks and we are secretly hoping this one is still available
  2. FLORIDIAN
    FLORIDIAN
    I am here!

Have you ever thought about what protects our hearts? / Just a cage of rib bones and other various parts /
    So it's fairly simple to cut right through the mess / And stop the muscle that makes us confess / And we are so fragile /
    And our cracking bones make noise / And we are just breakable, breakable, breakable girls and boys.

3. FLORIDIAN
    FLORIDIAN
    All servicemembers with dependents live in housing... there are 2 housing units, one is right in between both bases, and the other is about 30 minutes away. They are all 3 and 4 bedroom townhomes.
    We don't have kids, but almost everyone I know here does and they really enjoy living here. The $$$ is nice, the COLA, helps a lot of families out. It's just me and Christopher and I think we get about 700 a month for it.
    The only thing I don't like about living here is my husband is on sea duty and is gone all the time, which leaves me in a foreign country alone most of the year. When he is here though we have the best time traveling around the island checking everything out.
    Fire away with any other questions you may have!

Have you ever thought about what protects our hearts? / Just a cage of rib bones and other various parts /
    So it's fairly simple to cut right through the mess / And stop the muscle that makes us confess / And we are so fragile /
    And our cracking bones make noise / And we are just breakable, breakable, breakable girls and boys.

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

WOW I forgot about COLA

Hows the weather?
    How are the base services?
    Now in base housing is it nice? ive only seen floor plans
    Do you know the sq footage?
    Cost of living?
    What are the people like over there?

IF we go over there it would be dh, me and our 2 kids.

Hows the flight?
    How hard is it to get Visas?
    Did you take a car over there?

that is all I can think of right now
  5. FLORIDIAN
    FLORIDIAN
    Weather - winter is rainy season, gets cold... last winter it flooded, they say that was a fluke though. This winter has been mild and barely rained. Last winter it snowed a tiny bit one day but nothing to really stick. I am a FL girl and I survive here. Summer is nice and hot, spring and autumn are perfect in betweens.
    Base services - um... we have all the usuals I would say. NEX, commissary, salon, schools, NMCRS thrift store, gym, theater, bowling alley, nice pool, Applebees, a food court with a few choices, chapel. It's not like being home and living in America, I order a ton of things from the states, but it's nice enough. The base itself is very nice and pretty, well NAS 1. NAS 2 is the base where most of the commands are, where people work.
    I like our houses... I will do some searching and post some pics in this thread when I find them. Every unit is fairly new.
    I have NO idea what the square footage is! I can tell you how the house is? We have a nice sized living room, a separate dining room, an open roomy kitchen, a laundry room downstairs with a half bath, a closet under the stairs for storage. Upstairs is 3 or 4 bedrooms, a master bath and another bathroom as well. Yeah... I will try to find pics! haha
    As for cost of living... You don't have to spend any money in town if you don't want to. Gas is super expensive here, but we get NATO gas coupons, and if you live in Marinai (closest to base) you never need more than they limit you. We do like to go out to the local market sometimes to get produce, and go out to eat in town, so we spend more money those months, but that's all optional really.
    You will hear a dif opinion on ITs from every person you talk to. Yes there are frustrations, language barriers, and the occasional meanie... a lot of it is what you make of it really. They love kiddos, so anywhere you go they will grin and coo at your lil ones. They work on base so you can run into issues every now and then, but I have really found most people to be ok. You will have jerks everywhere you go. Life is very different here in town, some people hate how ITs crowd, things like that... but you get used to their ways here. It took me some time to be happy here, but the more we got out and explored the more I liked things. Christopher is very adventurous, so he got me out into the culture! I can post some pics of the local city here, Catania.
    The flight is actually 3 flights, if they fly you civilian. It's long, but all depends on how long your layovers are. I actually like taking the MAC flights, but I have flown civilian 3 times since moving here. The cost of airfare for visiting home is something that should be considered when moving here as well.
    We didn't take a car, we bought a beater here. Insurance is expensive for us, really really expensive, so we didn't want to have to pay full coverage on anything. We just have liability so it's not too bad. We are under 25 though. If you plan on just driving base to base then a nice car is ok. We like to drive all around the island, and cars get bumped into in IT often, so we are happy to have a car we don't care too much about.
    The visa is easy and common, everyone that comes here gets one. Once here you don't have to renew it every year, they give you a piece of paper to keep in your passport, a Sojourners permit. The base took care of filing for my visa.

6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

WOW thanks for all that info. Yes I would LOVE to see some pics of housing. Floor plans dont do justice. Ya we just bought a new car and well i dont want to make payments on it for 3 years if we cant drive it our isurance is really good we are both over 25 and have USAA, they are good to us. It sounds like a nice place to go to. We kinda want to do something different before our children get older. Will be great to tour Europe while we are over there.

We will get to pick orders in a few weeks. I cant wait! My dh is going to shore duty so im hoping he wont be gone as much BUT its the Navy you never know.

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE INFORMATION!
  7. FLORIDIAN
    FLORIDIAN
    I posted some pics in the photo album section.
    You can call USAA to get an idea of how much it would be for your new car. Some people can swing it here, we just refuse to, it's about $400 a month for full coverage for a couple of 22 years olds!!!
    Ask any more questions you might have, I really don't mind.
    Yes the travel is the most exciting part! We haven't been anywhere besides this island, but after this deployment we are determined to go to Rome and Greece.

8. Senior Member
    Good luck Dustie! I hope you get the orders you want! I liked Sig when I visited for a short time. I have 2 friends moving down there in April to join you Elizabeth!!!
    TRIPP IS HERE!!!!

9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Moving to Sigonella

Just a couple questions. So my husband would also be on sea duty if we moved there and it is a possiblity for his orders. Is it hard being there by yourself most of the year? What do you do to keep yourself busy? Any advice?
  10. Senior Member
    This is a really old thread. You'd probably be better starting a new one, Good luck!
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski